What's new

Carpenter Bees.....holy fuck

bgaidan

Red Skull Member
Member Number
The new "small house" on my new property is getting absolutely decimated by carpenter bees. It's obvious they've been a problem in the past as the PO had patched several holes with caulking, but it seems like there's 10x as many this year as there must have been in the past 10 years combined since the place was built.

The exterior wood is all cedar....and apparently it's delicious.

Last year at my old place, about 20 miles away, they got really bad too. Far worse than the previous 6 summers I had been there. They were going nuts on the pressure treated wood from the covered deck. I could shoot wasp spray in their holes and 2 days later another one would be right back in there. But they weren't nearly as bad as they are here.

Anyone have any good home remedies to destroy these fuckers? I tried a pretty potent pesticide that I found recommended on one site. That half-assed worked, but today I went around with wasp spray and and hit all the holes and there were still a ton in them. Also tried these sticky hanging traps that are supposed to attract them. They kind of work, but only seem to catch the males, and the females are the ones that drill the holes. I even made some of those mason jar/wood block traps. They don't work for shit! :laughing:

They're mostly going after the facia boards on the side, but can find them just about everywhere there's wood. :rolleyes: The old barn is also full of holes.....but it's 110 years old and I give fewer fuckes about it.
91cdcc81b0e11b4d521f4f6f598c3426l-m2763367612xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

Put other nesting options out there. Just takes some time a drill and a block of wood or 3. Older dey cord wood works great. Google it for more details. Typically they dont like fresh cedar from my understanding as it’s to high in oils. They prefer dried out wood. Has there been any real stain on the home in the last 10+ years?

Ok, so you take some shotgun hulls, load up around 10-12 grains of the fastest powder you can (solo 1k is great). Thinnest gas seal - ballistic products has some good ones. Then fill to the crimp with either walnut bedding or grits. Recommend pump action, they won't cycle much. Can take them out to ~20ft and no real damage to wood if you miss.

Honestly tons of traps to get whittle down their population. You will catch a million year one. next year much lighter, then very few. They dont travel far from their birthspot so once you clear an area they are gone for a while. If your traps don't work you did the holes wrong. You can also delta dust the holes, but traps are the best. I had one year that every trap jar was full 3-5 times

I've bombed dematiaceous earth on my soffits with successful results. :confused:

boric acid work on them?

Someone mentioned oils in the wood, I've always wanted to try this solution to painting wooden siding: https://youtu.be/h3HgKzbzLLE?t=415
Thinned asphalt
The black might make it hot enough in the sun to deter them, or the tar might deter them on its own
Only trouble is you look like an emo goth chick painting your shit black. Whitewash might also deter them, being lime and all.

Honestly tons of traps to get whittle down their population. You will catch a million year one. next year much lighter, then very few. They dont travel far from their birthspot so once you clear an area they are gone for a while. If your traps don't work you did the holes wrong. You can also delta dust the holes, but traps are the best. I had one year that every trap jar was full 3-5 times

Forgot in the OP.....I tried delta dust too. Didn't seem to do much.

What's the secret to the traps? I did this style, 1/2" bit with the latteral hole drilled upwards at about 45 degrees. I've had three up for about 2 weeks and they've shown zero interest in them.

Click image for larger version Name:	47c77b703eca1b5ca4d922128c700522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	59.9 KB ID:	374077

Mix it a little strong and it’ll kill everything :

https://www.domyown.com/bifen-it-p-2...l?sub_id=11662

I'll have to compare ingredients, but pretty sure that's very similar to what I'm using. Seems like it kills some eventually, but doesn't really keep new ones away.

Edit:

I actually bought this, which was recommended for them on another site. It's not safe for pets or kids so I'd assume it's more potent than the stuff you posted. :laughing: But I'll order your stuff too....I'll give anything a shot at this point.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...itle_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=91812054244-20
61iBZk0S29L._AC_SL1024_.jpg

I blew through 3 cans of wasp spray today and probably flushed 20+ females out of their holes.

Last edited:
Brake cleaner in the holes? Works for everything else.

Actually not a bad idea for killing the ones in the holes.....the wasp spray doesn't have an extension tube so it gets all over your hands when you shoot it in the holes. Sticking that tube in there would be perfect.

[486 said:
;n374074]boric acid work on them?

Someone mentioned oils in the wood, I've always wanted to try this solution to painting wooden siding: https://youtu.be/h3HgKzbzLLE?t=415
Thinned asphalt
The black might make it hot enough in the sun to deter them, or the tar might deter them on its own
Only trouble is you look like an emo goth chick painting your shit black. Whitewash might also deter them, being lime and all.

Pretty much only painting wood will keep them away, which I'd really rather not do on this place. If it gets to the point where and can't get them under control and I have to replaced the facia and soffits, I'll probably go that route.

Ok, so you take some shotgun hulls, load up around 10-12 grains of the fastest powder you can (solo 1k is great). Thinnest gas seal - ballistic products has some good ones. Then fill to the crimp with either walnut bedding or grits. Recommend pump action, they won't cycle much. Can take them out to ~20ft and no real damage to wood if you miss.

I've probably told this here before,

I spent hours as a kid standing in the entry to my parents old wooden barn with an aluminum bat, or piece of pipe from my tether ball post knocking wood bees out of the air.

Then I discovered that the 12% protein feed pellets we fed the calves were just about the same size as a .177 airgun pellet, and when fired from any of my air rifles the pellet exited the barrel like rat shot. I honed my bee shooting skills with cattle feed and an air rifle. I got pretty good at blowing bees out of the sky with processed grain-byproduct flak.

I don't know if these people actually have them, but bee flies will wipe them out

https://www.insects4sale.com/store/c...idae-Bee-Flies

If you can get enough bee flies in there where the mothers like to use the carpenter bee holes, instead of other opportunities.

Biological solutions like this don't eliminate them, it's a parasitic/predatory relationship, which vastly cuts down on the pest, like 1/10th as many. Dunno if anyone is doing this but it seems there is a commercial source and using other bugs on bugs is the hot thing. You have some pesticied resistant ones or it's hard to apply.

If only there was some way to apply divchloros on them too.

Last edited:
We used to get in our old dairy barn and slay them. We filled a gallon pickle jar one summer day. We used everything from ping pong paddles to bats. The badminton rackets were great.

I'll have to compare ingredients, but pretty sure that's very similar to what I'm using. Seems like it kills some eventually, but doesn't really keep new ones away.

Edit:

I actually bought this, which was recommended for them on another site. It's not safe for pets or kids so I'd assume it's more potent than the stuff you posted. :laughing: But I'll order your stuff too....I'll give anything a shot at this point.

it wiped out the carpenter bees in a day or so.

As I understand it the “downside” of the bifenthrin is it kills about everything, good bees & bad ones indiscriminately. I’m down with that scorched earth approach to bugs... 🤣

Reactions: Add
Fuck I think I have these around my house. I noticed them flying around my deck and figured it was some weird black bumble bee. Following now.....

it wiped out the carpenter bees in a day or so.

As I understand it the “downside” of the bifenthrin is it kills about everything, good bees & bad ones indiscriminately. I’m down with that scorched earth approach to bugs... 🤣

Just ordered.....amazon will deliver saturday. Sunday, we dine in hell.

Brake cleaner in the holes? Works for everything else.

it kills wasps real good, but it isn't a lasting solution
I keep a garden sprayer full of gasoline for fucking wasps (and pretreating greasy stuff before it sees the pressure washer)

Fuck I think I have these around my house. I noticed them flying around my deck and figured it was some weird black bumble bee. Following now.....

Look for perfectly round ~1/2" diameter holes in any exposed wood. They burrow in and then tunnel horizontally. I was blowing delta dust in to one hole and it was coming out another one 18" away. :eek:

Get carpenter bee traps. spraying doesn't do shit, pressure treated wood doesn't do shit, they don't eat the wood, they bore it out for a nest. They find the hole and crawl in, fall into a standard pepsi bottle or whatever, and can't get out, they die in there. get multiple traps and place them around. They'll use that hole because they are lazy. Used holes are better. Once a few fall in the trap it gets the scent on it and they'll go there instead of boring holes in your shit.
1548214.jpg

Head on over to the Petsmart and pick up a breeding pair of pileated wood peckers.

Top Back Refresh