MXwHepKDiDBdCQsYr5Od4EZg=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

bPknCJLA8sd0PD-G_vA54KqQ=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

_BAnvyYOIthHTbGiEPpALsRw=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

XYS1C4QS5Kv-jm2tMvpMczHQ=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

wo_rXFJXG9EZ7rHXZOUj9K6A=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

np1z6QWFAtCM6ddLjHSugBDg=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

7wRMgDWrMzW_qTyu-RtvRiNw=w1920-h1441-no?authuser=0.jpg

What is this?

Nitro chromoly rear axle shaft for an e-locked toyota fzj80 rear axle. I machined the splines out of those key areas so that when the axle shaft twisted, we were still able to remove it from the diff, as there's a side gear and a locking pawl that also rides on the axle shaft splines. If the shaft twists between those two parts of the 3rd member, it's impossible to remove, and you have to cut the housing apart to get the axle shaft out. Pain in the dick. Since this was machined, we were able to fish the broken stub of the axle shaft out with a strong magnet.

IMO this is a super neat break. The pic shows the axle shaft pieces in the orientation it would have been before it broke, and the shaft is twisted in two different directions. Best we can figure, the axle shaft twisted a few weeks ago in the forward direction (left half) when he broke the opposing axle shaft. This weekend the axle shaft broke when trying to reverse up an obstacle to fix a tire issue (right half). Our best guess is that the axle shaft couldn't twist back far enough in the reverse direction and snapped outside of the locking pawl.

Anyway, wild that the axle shaft twisted in two different directions before snapping. I've never seen anything like that before.

Broke these dana 60 chromo outers within a day of each other, barely even giving it throttle. Been installed for 6 years, so assuming fatigue got them.
20210711_130623.jpg
20210409_124651.jpg

I've never seen an axle shaft so cleanly sheered.:eek::smokin::beer:

35 spline?
There are two modes of shear failure in axle shafts. This is one. The other is on a 45 degree plane and usually spirals with a final failure surface that runs straight down the axle shaft as well.

Common torsional fatigue failure mode.

There are two modes of shear failure in axle shafts. This is one. The other is on a 45 degree plane and usually spirals with a final failure surface that runs straight down the axle shaft as well.

Common torsional fatigue failure mode.
Interesting 🤔

Is that the more commonly seen failure?

Interesting 🤔

Is that the more commonly seen failure?
I've seen most of the spiral failures between the diff and the yoke or flange and more of the flat plane failure near the yoke or right up next to the splines.

I'm not sure why one mode happens over the other.

I suspect the flat plane mode is caused by the restraint of the side gear or the yoke changing the local deflection making it more locally stiff, and the spiral failure is more likely in middle where there is no localized stiffness change. But that is purely speculation.

Not boxed but had frame plates. It actually bent forward of the rear most cab body mount which is weird. I was crazy bound up, winching off a boulder I was high centered on, the pax side ass end was in a hole and wedges against a wall, with it in double low, stalled the winch out a bunch. I bent the slider as well so my guess is it was the angle and where I was that did it. The frame is still a rusty POS.

Back halfing is on the table, I just need to see how to get it to pass inspection as I don't have a tow rig and drive this to the trails and NC is gay and has safety inspections. Other option is to frame swap it. In the interim I will weld some plate on there and let er rip.
buy my frame... and everything attached. :flipoff2:

Not boxed but had frame plates. It actually bent forward of the rear most cab body mount which is weird. I was crazy bound up, winching off a boulder I was high centered on, the pax side ass end was in a hole and wedges against a wall, with it in double low, stalled the winch out a bunch. I bent the slider as well so my guess is it was the angle and where I was that did it. The frame is still a rusty POS.

Back halfing is on the table, I just need to see how to get it to pass inspection as I don't have a tow rig and drive this to the trails and NC is gay and has safety inspections. Other option is to frame swap it. In the interim I will weld some plate on there and let er rip.
IMG_20211023_180223065.jpg
There is nothing in the NC safety inspections that prevent frame modifications. Plenty of full blown buggies riding around that are tagged and inspected.

BD3C8C89-0464-43DA-A420-F219D638D964.jpeg
Golf cart failure pile. Father in law’s rzr 570 ran low on oil and the non serviceable crank/rod welded itself together. That’s the liquified rod bearing coming out.

Big rzr, broke some ball joints and stabbed the lower a-arm through the wheel shell. Broke the upper a-arm in half at finals. Was hauling ass when the left front steered hard left all by itself and ran us off the track.
D31033BD-DF59-4880-B928-53D36FCF5738.jpeg
1803867A-C4C6-4DA5-90D3-7259D4564D08.jpeg
290F01F4-2CB7-4AF5-A88D-92F390B002DA.jpeg
926B2524-5FBE-426C-81BA-C5030C6C1372.jpeg
2F2FB094-18D4-4E3A-8F7E-96CBB081BE6D.jpeg

24EF7F80-A4BB-45E3-9F39-464A91FD0A41.jpeg
391D1948-0388-4503-A893-F1B124B953D6.jpeg

Top is a backfire on a draw through turbo NG engine I was running

bottom is a stock tired farm truck with an open front axle that exploded when the hired man got stuck.

That top pic is the reason I'm reconsidering my turbo/pane plumbing :eek:

Top Back Refresh