What's new

Carhartt vs. Duluth vs. ? work pants

My work uniforms (mechanic) are dickies. They live through 8hrs of wrenching on a daily basis. Dickies shorts in the summer time, whatever the non-Cholo fit is. I have to go up one waist size from normal in them.

At home where I'm doing more welding/fab work to go with the wrenching I've switched to Key jeans because Carhartt has just gotten too expensive for my taste.

Last edited:
I like Blakladders. First two pairs I’ve had for several (4-5) years, each pair gets worn twice a week for 6 months out of the year. They have started wearing through at the bottoms of the front the pockets, that’s it. Just bought two more pairs. Finish carpenter so I’m not climbing trusses or laying flooring, but they get used fairly hard.

I bought 4 of the same dickie shorts, from dickie's on the same ordee and they all fit different

Well, that’s about par for anything. I’ve tried on 3 different pairs of carhartt (same size) and they all fit differently.

Going to search for some Dickies to try on tomorrow.

Carharts, only pants pockets I can get my hands in. Fuck trying to fish things out with my thumb and forefinger. I have a pair of lined Smith jeans that are holding up well to non-work use

I wear the Wrangler Riggs and am happy with them. They last longer than any other pants that I've tried and the reinforced rear pockets are great because I carry my keys in my back left pocket and have yet to wear one through.

Carhart pants are what I wear. the ones with the double material on the front, well made as far as i can tell.

I've had just about everything, I like the tsc ridgecut stuff. Its relatively cheap and last 2 years or so which is not bad for work paints that get thashed constantly.

Schmidt sucks(what a joke!!), they fall apart sooner than they're worth. I wear regular Carhartts & they last long enough like the dungarees they should be.

I would put Wrangler brand in between those two-

I've been liking the carhartt 103329 double knee pant.
To see how long they'd last I wore the same pair 5 days a week for a year. They lasted surprisingly well, only broke through at the top of the double material area by the pockets.
I've tried schmidt, wrangler rigs, dickies, and Levi. Non wear as good or fit as well as these carhartt. I originally bought them because I carry two phones and the side pockets fit them well.

Duluth is a crap shoot. I have some stuff from them that is great, and other stuff that is very poorly designed and constructed this goes not only for pants but everything they sell. I am very disappointed that they are now a 1 year warranty. I was putting a pile of things together that doesn't fit or is falling apart to take to the store for return. Will still take the crap back when I have time.
The material in carhartt pants seems to rot away before it wears out for me.

Last edited:
I bought 5 pair of dickies carpenter jeans 6 years ago. Usually get two days wear then in the wash they go. Being a part time mechanic sometimes they get one day when Im out in the shop and not at my desk. They have lasted amazingly well. Just replaced a couple of the with key carpenters from farm store. like them so far. Back then the dickies were 5 for $100. I would have gladly given that again for 5 more pair. I like the carhart brand, wear a lot of it. just not the jeans. too pricey and I dont like the fit. I 6'1 210# fwiw. wear a 36w34L and the dickies and key fit perfect.

I like Blakladders. First two pairs I’ve had for several (4-5) years, each pair gets worn twice a week for 6 months out of the year. They have started wearing through at the bottoms of the front the pockets, that’s it. Just bought two more pairs. Finish carpenter so I’m not climbing trusses or laying flooring, but they get used fairly hard.

I'm also a finisher and I get about 6 months before I wear through the left knee. I'll have to look at these blakladders.

Reminds me of last summer. I go into a liquor warehouse type deal and head into the freezer for beer. I round a corner and I am presented with not 1 but 2 of them. Man bun, perfectly scaped beards, flannel checkered shirts, skinny Carhart work pants and brand new steel toe boots. I fucking thought it was Halloween or something, like twins they were and they were each toting a sixer of PBR:lmao: I saw them leave in their Dodge truck, pretty sure it had some fake dirt on it too.

all over northern europe, carhartt IS the hipster brand. One of my relatives is Dutch and I got him some carhartt stuff for his birthday and he kind of laughed, a little like, me, wear this? and then when he went to visit his son in college over there, he called me and said, 'you know, you are hipster in the Netherlands...'

I say fuck fashion, I wear Carhartt and Levis and sometimes the schmidt jeans from Tractor supply, the brand isn't the thing, I just want some good stuff that will protect me and last.

Been wearing the Carhartt regular jeans for years. They have definitely lessened the quality in recent years but they still fit the same. I've tried Duluth and Prison Blues recently and they both fit like Hammer pants. Younguns might not get the reference.

Last time I looked both were made out of the states, I've worn the double front carhartts for a long time. But the last pair I got seemed diffrent. Fitting and material,a few guys at work wear the prison blues and like them alot, haven't given them a try yet. I decided to give some key brand work pants a try and sofar I'm happy with them, they have lasted longer than my last dickies and carhartts.

I have good luck with the wrangler carpenter jeans from Walmart. But im fat and don't like heavy double front jeans

Having worn Carharts, Dickies, Lee, Wrangler, DTC and others I'll second the Ridgecut stuff from TSC.

What series Dickies are you guys wearing? Looking to get some decent work pants that can take a beating. Tired of the ass and crotch ripping out of my newer jeans.

At risk of getting fucking flamed here...

Try the 5.11 Tactical cotton pants.

They're double knee, have holes to insert knee pads if you want, and hold up well for me in the field.

They're not cheap, but they hold up well to both use and washing.

For all-round chorin' pants, Carhartt double-fronts are my go-to. I like the pocket setup on the their rip-stop cargo's, but the fit just isn't the same. I'm not a snob on the brand... they just fuckin last.

Coveralls for work, or rolling around under vehicles. Chainsaw pants for chainsawing. :flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh