What's new

Canning, who does it?

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
Like I mentioned elsewhere the wife has been making jelly and jam this week. MIL has a patch of thornless blackberries and wife made two batches of blackberry jam already. She really likes jalapeno jelly so she's made two batches of that so far as well. Called the semi local orchard and they are picking peaches right now so I plan to go by there after work tomorrow and pick up a bushel of 2nd peaches to make pie filling and peach preserves. :smokin:

Anyone make homemade jams, jellies, and pie fillings?

Used to pickle cucumbers, okra, beets, etc., but haven’t really in a few years. Wife and I made fig preserves once that were good, but a ton of work.

Growing up, my grandma would spend all summer pickling and canning. She made a killer tomato jam that I wish I had the ability to recreate.

We do
Jams - peach, black raspberries, peach, strawberry, apple, plum, grape jelly, canning beets, pickling of all veggies. Corn salsa. Roasted peppers, etc.
Tis the season.

you said peach twice.

Jeepnumbersguy: I like peach.

:flipoff2:
Wife did jalapeno jelly and blackberry jam this weekend. small batch of pickles today, and start on the 3 boxes of tomatoes she got to can as well. going to be busy.

The only fruit we can is peaches, however we do can a lot of veg and I think if our cabbage turns out good this year we will give sauerkraut a try too.

We have been refining the perfect pickle this year. Got a great method for preserving the "crunch", now just working on different flavors. Currently have a pot of San Marzano pasta sauce on the stove cooking down to can later this evening. This sauce is crazy good.

Yeah we can a ton when the garden is booming.

Corn, pickles, beans, dilly beans, spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, tomatoe soup, carrots, peas, strawberry jam.

We have been refining the perfect pickle this year. Got a great method for preserving the "crunch", now just working on different flavors. Currently have a pot of San Marzano pasta sauce on the stove cooking down to can later this evening. This sauce is crazy good.
Cold pack em
Best crunchy pickle you will ever have

Like I mentioned elsewhere the wife has been making jelly and jam this week. MIL has a patch of thornless blackberries and wife made two batches of blackberry jam already. She really likes jalapeno jelly so she's made two batches of that so far as well. Called the semi local orchard and they are picking peaches right now so I plan to go by there after work tomorrow and pick up a bushel of 2nd peaches to make pie filling and peach preserves. :smokin:

Anyone make homemade jams, jellies, and pie fillings?
My mom is big into this. She makes strawberry jalapeno jam that is kickass. She also did a jalapeno whiskey mustard that rocks too.
Not much of a Jam or Jelly guy and I try to cut sugar as much as possible but the pickled stuff she does is nice.

Wife bought a couple cans of crushed pineapple at the store over the weekend and made up some jalapeno pineapple jelly. Not sure how it turned out but she said it was good? She did say she was gonna have to redo it and add more pectin. I guess it was pretty thin when it set up. Guessing the pineapple is thinner than normal fruit jelly when it's cooked down so it needs more pectin to set up.

Cold pack em
Best crunchy pickle you will ever have
Please, tell me more! Our dill pickles last year tasted awesome, but no crunch. My local pickle guru said 'cooked 'em too long'. Cut the time back this year with very good results, but not exactly 'crunchy'.

We got a pickle recipe this year from a coworker that is damn good. I'll post it up when I get home. they are nice and crunchy too

Please, tell me more! Our dill pickles last year tasted awesome, but no crunch. My local pickle guru said 'cooked 'em too long'. Cut the time back this year with very good results, but not exactly 'crunchy'.
If they taste awsome, all you do is packing with the hot brine and then just put in refrigerator, no water bath.
Slices wait 3 days, whole pickles a week.
Open and enjoy.
They last 4 to 5 months in the coolarator.
But you will eat them all before that time.

Long term, water bath pints 10 and quarts 15.

We got a pickle recipe this year from a coworker that is damn good. I'll post it up when I get home. they are nice and crunchy too
Did you ever post this?

The Wife's second batch of Salsa and Tomato juice. She has also done Pickles.
DSCN1935.JPG

Last weekend was 30 pints of sweet corn and 8 quarts of dilly beans. Next few weeks will be the tomatoes.

2E5A740E-13E6-4A46-9623-362BE5CCD58B.jpeg

finally remembered to post this. :homer:
pickle1.jpg
pickle2.jpg

Reactions: IGT
Sharing any recipes?

My grandpa was old school Italian. Used to love his cooking. Now that I am older I wish I would have learned more about it.

Been craving a good pasta sauce.

And pickle recipe. 🤣

My wonderful wife turned 42 pounds of our tomatoes into homemade tomato soup. She Used my grandmas recipe.
6815804D-70DB-4B0E-9B74-8C493CE7A483.jpeg
86C56E23-8C89-4910-958E-2D3137439344.jpeg

Attachments

• 017218D1-0A5D-4F33-835C-94AF9CFE846D.jpeg
    017218D1-0A5D-4F33-835C-94AF9CFE846D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • B0DD5B26-E7CA-4A68-AFB8-D83BF0ED9F97.jpeg
    B0DD5B26-E7CA-4A68-AFB8-D83BF0ED9F97.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
wide mouth pints?

tomato soup sounds really good. grilled cheese sammiches and mater soup brings the noms. :smokin:

wide mouth pints?

tomato soup sounds really good. grilled cheese sammiches and mater soup brings the noms. :smokin:
That’s all we buy are the wide mouth pints. They stack better and are easier to fill with dilly beans and what not. Must have 2-300 pint jars around.

I take no credit but my wife cans pickles, pickled green beans, tomatoes, tomato juice, pepper jelly, and sour kruat

Her newest adventure is pickled peppercioni, my Italian friends eat these like candy
B6F42BB1-3446-4426-8373-9EE5D1DB47C4.jpeg

Top Back Refresh