What's new

Candied Jalapenos/ Cowboy Candy

TSEJEEPERS

Member Number

INGREDIENTS​

UNITS: US

DIRECTIONS​

• Wearing gloves, remove the stems from all of the jalapeno peppers. The easiest way to do this is to slice a small disc off of the stem-end along with the stem. Discard the stems.
  • Slice the peppers into uniform 1/8-1/4 inch rounds. Set aside.
  • In a large pot, bring cider vinegar, white sugar, turmeric, celery seed, granulated garlic and cayenne pepper to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Add the pepper slices and simmer for exactly 4 minutes.
  • Use a slotted spoon to transfer the peppers, loading into clean, sterile canning jars to within 1/4 inch of the upper rim of the jar.
  • Turn heat up under the pot with the syrup and bring to a full rolling boil. Boil hard for 6 minutes.
  • Use a ladle to pour the boiling syrup into the jars over the jalapeno slices. Insert a cooking chopstick to the bottom of the jar two or three times to release any trapped pockets of air. Adjust the level of the syrup if necessary. Wipe the rims of the jars with a clean, damp paper towel and fix on new, two-piece lids to finger-tip tightness.
  • *If you have leftover syrup, and it is likely that you will, you may can it in half-pint or pint jars, too. It’s wonderful brushed on meat on the grill or added to potato salad or, or, or… In short, don’t toss it out!
  • Place jars in a canner, cover with water by 2-inches. Bring the water to a full rolling boil. When it reaches a full rolling boil, set the timer for 10 minutes for half-pints or 15 minutes for pints.
  • When timer goes off, use canning tongs to transfer the jars to a cooling rack. Leave them to cool, undisturbed, for 24 hours. When fully cooled, wipe them with a clean, damp washcloth then label.
  • Allow to mellow for at least two weeks, but preferably a month before eating. Or don’t.

1. burger.png
    I can

My wife made several pints this past Summer. Between taking them to the guys at work and us eating it, we're down to 2 pint jars left. I love it on cornbread and most any vegetable.

I'm going with "must try" but I gotta ask about the quantities listed in the recipe. Two cups of vinegar are going to dissolve 6 cups of sugar? And during a rolling boil? No water involved? I would think the sugar would scorch before it becomes a syrup at those ratios (using a double boiler to prevent scorching?). I may be way off, but if you say so, I believe you. I just ran it by Mrs. Dwygrsshpr and she thinks those ratios work, but I am still a skeptic. How many full quart jars does this yield? I am trying to imagine 3lbs of pennied jalapeños in my mind.

Still gonna try it - thanks for posting up!

^ Are you sure you didn't mean quart? That is what a standard ball/mason jar is.

It's different when you are cooking down to make a jelly/jam/sauce but there is no way you are fitting a dozen+ sliced up jalapenos that equal a pound into a pint. A pound of ground beef can be smashed into a pint jar, but no way a pound of fruit/veggie will fit.

I may prove myself wrong here as I am ordering 10lbs of jalapenos to check this recipe out because it hits me. Hopefully I can make some Christmas stockings in time.

Oh, and, I don't care who ripped off whom, but this recipe reads very much like the original posting but with some slight differences. I like the idea of packed brown sugar over pure white cane:

Also, 20 jalapenos is closer to a single pound, not three pounds.

So, again, to OP or any others that have made this, can you please confirm your recipe, quantities, etc?

Last edited:
Wife says the first recipe is a double batch. She says make sure you watch the syrup when boiling as it will boil over pretty quick. Really not sure how many jars it makes. She goes until she runs out of the Jalapenos.
She has also made the Brown Sugar one too. It is good as well.

Top Back Refresh