What's new

can you turn a transfer tank into your main fuel tank?

fabandfirewood

93 d250, 12v injectors pump work and hx35 trubo/go
Member Number
I have a 74 dodge W 200 that needs a new fuel tank and fuel level sensor. I was thinking that I could just put a 55 gallon transfer tank in the bed and weld a threaded nipple near the bottom and run the aftermarket fuel pump right to that. Being DOT approved don’t really matter is we don’t have inspections. what are y’all‘s thoughts on this?

At the very least, it should draw from the top. You'd be relying just on the carb float and needle valve to hold back the tank pressure with a bottom feed. Also any shit in the tank will end up clogging the filter, or in the carb.

I've heard of engines exploding after they filled with gas. Have seen quite a few small engines with a bent rods from as it's not uncommon to have a gravity feed tank.

I have an in-line fuel filter and am planning on switching it out with a much better one at some point and i also have a pressure regulator after the pump. sucking from the top is prolly best though

We've been running an Atwoods 50 gallon transfer tank as the main and only in a pickup for several years. No fancy gauge here, we use a stick to check tank level. Its an IDI diesel. No issues.

If the law thinks there is anything hinky with your setup the top fuel outlet will announce that the tank is being used to directly fuel the truck, which may be against state law,

As far as operational I have an 85 gallon tank in the back of my 3500 to fuel heavy equipment, but it holds diesel not gasoline, major difference in law between the two, maybe depending upon state of residence or registration of truck.

Last edited:
At the very least, it should draw from the top. You'd be relying just on the carb float and needle valve to hold back the tank pressure with a bottom feed. Also any shit in the tank will end up clogging the filter, or in the carb.

I've heard of engines exploding after they filled with gas. Have seen quite a few small engines with a bent rods from as it's not uncommon to have a gravity feed tank.
bro, top or bottom don't matter a lick, it'll siphon just the same

Top feed doesn't have 50 gallons of fuel pushing down on it though.
Once the fuel line is full and the outlet of the fuel line is below the bottom of the tank, there is no difference in the static pressure of fuel trying to escape the tank, with a siphon it will run out just as fast.

Aaron Z

Top feed doesn't have 50 gallons of fuel pushing down on it though.
a 1/2" tube 2 feet tall has the exact same pressure at the bottom as a 2 foot deep swimming pool. The height of the fluid column is what determines pressure, not the volume of the column. With a siphon system all that matters is that the "outlet" is lower than the fluid level, it'll drain just like you drilled a hole in the tank at the same level.

Top Back Refresh