What's new

Can you run a + on one circuit on the same wire/metal as - on another?

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
I know probably real stupid, but i am e-retarded and volts make my brain hurt.

Do you mean can the same wire be the power for something and also the ground for something else?

Connect one wire between the + and - terminals on a battery for your answer.............................................it will tell you no.

Do you mean can the same wire be the power for something and also the ground for something else?

Connect one wire between the + and - terminals on a battery for your answer.............................................it will tell you no.

+ - on he same circuit yes I reaze what what would happen, but + on one circuit/power source sharing only one cable, with the - of another circuit/power source.

battery1----------bulb1
battery1+++++bulb1
||||||
battery2----------bulb2
battery2+++++bulb2

​​​​Ive aleaways been curious about this. Youre not shorting a circuit, so whats the reason it wouldnt work then? cant have positive and negative electrons on a sme cable?

How about power windows. Only 2 wires going to the motor, pos a negative. One has power to go up, then to go down you reverse polarity so the pos wire is now a neg.

This of course does not happen at the same time.

Is this what you are talkimg about?

I think he's doing what YotaAtieToo is saying and running 12v accessories off of a 24v system.

Yes you can. If you have 12 volt loads you can connect them across the first OR the second battery in a 24 volt system. Your system won't like it so much though if one battery is discharged more than the other. Electrically it's fine.

Now, if whatever you're powering has it's negative wire connected to it's frame, like the socket for a light bulb, and you connect it to the second battery in a 24 volt system you cannot let that frame touch the vehicle's frame or you'd be shorting the + from battery 1 to the frame (dead short).

+ - on he same circuit yes I reaze what what would happen, but + on one circuit/power source sharing only one cable, with the - of another circuit/power source.

battery1----------bulb1
battery1+++++bulb1
||||||
battery2----------bulb2
battery2+++++bulb2

​​​​Ive aleaways been curious about this. Youre not shorting a circuit, so whats the reason it wouldnt work then? cant have positive and negative electrons on a sme cable?

That's not at all how it works. First off, all electrons have a negative charge, you'll have to watch some youtube video's to understand why because I don't have the patience to explain it.

FYI you can also boost a 24 volt vehicle from a 12 volt vehicle, but you can only boost one of the batteries at a time, it doesn't matter which, but don't let the chassis of the two vehicles touch. Just connect the negative cable from the 12 volt vehicle to the negative post of either battery, then the positive cable to the positive post OF THE SAME BATTERY and all will be well (do be careful about sparks and batteries off gassing and all that...).

So the trailer frame/chassis is the ground for the 12v system for accessories. Could I use the chassis also to be either + or - for my solar panels, possible at 24v?

Not sure if it clarifies what Im asking here..two separate circuits.. sharing a common conductor...

So the trailer frame/chassis is the ground for the 12v system for accessories. Could I use the chassis also to be either + or - for my solar panels, possible at 24v?

Not sure if it clarifies what Im asking here..two separate circuits.. sharing a common conductor...
I would say for the ground yes, but not anythng else.
Take a look at this picture:
24v_wiring.png
You could use the traler ground for the link between the battery and the negative connection on the motor in the picture, but I wouldnt use it for anything else.

Aaron Z

I would say for the ground yes, but not anythng else.
Take a look at this picture:

You could use the traler ground for the link between the battery and the negative connection on the motor in the picture, but I wouldnt use it for anything else.

Aaron Z

Dear lord man.

Did you draw that?

Why does a breaker get a + and a -?

Why is the breaker - connected to the battery's + but the trolling motor's + is connected to the breaker's +.

If you're trying to confuse Spawny, then fucking carry on, because I'm an electrician and I'm fucking confused.:lmao: Holy shit.

Whip us up a paint diagram to show WTF you're trying to do and we'll tell you what will start a fire and what won't.

Dear lord man.

Did you draw that?

Why does a breaker get a + and a -?

Why is the breaker - connected to the battery's + but the trolling motor's + is connected to the breaker's +.

If you're trying to confuse Spawny, then fucking carry on, because I'm an electrician and I'm fucking confused.:lmao: Holy shit.

Nope, was loking for a 24v system with 2 12v batteries and found that one. Didn't see the - on the breaker, thats odd to say the least.

Aaron Z

why are you charging a 12v system with 24v solar?

Yeah, the solar panels should be wired directly (ignoring disconnects, combiners, etc.) to the controller. The only reason not to I could see is to save 1 wire, which isn't a good reason.

Also it may be a 24v solar panel, but the actual output is going to anywhere from 0v-30+v depending on sun and temperature, it's the controller that makes it a stable voltage.

Top Back Refresh