What's new

Can-Am at KOH

Do you think there was an exception for those CanAm''s to get around 4400 frame rules? And those are minimums. Most bottom tubes are stuffed with Aluminum or they would be replaced every race. etc. etc.This is not new.

I did see one picture showing some small parts of the frame and definitely not close to a "significant others (SO)" 2020 Can Am RC. The " weak points" are well known for real spirited driving as my SO has found, but for-warned.. And not rocks or trees, The IFS arms broke in a witches hole. On the brakes hard, but instantly stopped at 10mph, And a bent trailing arm with all the power to that arm with paddles. There ARE awesome aftermarket parts. Just get on their list. Waiting now........ I look at the bent parts as fuses to save the frame. But now the frame is at risk, and why aftermarket stronger.... or mid strong with gussets. (I would guess)

Apparently insurance auctions are flush with sxs's because of over driving. I would suspect that OEM's would have to consider "Crush zones." That is usually not the build intent for KOH or most racing. And the reason for the safety equipment that the driver and co-dog must have.

Nothing different with other brands. Personally, I "feel safer" in the CanAm design vs others. But I am a duner more than a rock guy. But hang out with some rock racers..

This post is funny.....

Its killing you that those guys didn't have to spend $500k on an IFS car to finish the race, isn't it?

:lmao:

This is hilarious and sad! We tried to educate you but you are arguing with guys that actually know. Look up KOH last year and on the podium, seconds after winning, Hunter Miller says “it’s mostly stock, you’d be surprised”. Or something to that affect during his post race interview.

They are basically stock front to back, accept it and move on. I have text messages on my phone from the lake bed about how many run stock can am axle shafts. I asked a friend to money around a bunch of them to see what he can pick up for my build.

S3 also races on many stock parts. They have the can am cad file so they build chassis while putting stock parts back in and keeping all the suspension mounting points the same.

Last edited:
photo51726.jpg
Finally found a close up picture of the front suspension on these. This is Hunter’s car. Doesn’t answer all my questions but gives an idea of how they did it.

Finally found a close up picture of the front suspension on these. This is Hunter’s car. Doesn’t answer all my questions but gives an idea of how they did it.

Their short course cars that were at the track Saturday had the front shocks mounted the same way. I wish I would have had a little more time to get over to their pits to ask them about the KOH cars and snap some pictures of the cars they had at the track. For all I know they may be the same car!?!?!

I'm going to make it a point to get over to their pits this weekend. I'll report back when I got some info.

Last edited:
Their short course cars that were at the track Saturday had the front shocks mounted the same way. I wish I would have had a little more time to get over to their pits to ask them about the KOH cars and snap some pictures of the cars they had at the track. For all I know they may be the same car!?!?!

I'm going to make it a pointato get over to their pits this weekend. I'll report back when I got some info.

Instagram says these guys swept the podium at TexPlex this weekend. I’m not familiar with the classes. Is there a pro Turbo class they run in?

Instagram says these guys swept the podium at TexPlex this weekend. I’m not familiar with the classes. Is there a pro Turbo class they run in?

Yes, Pro Turbo class.

The Miller's and Kyle Chaney dominated that race. When those guys show up everyone else is racing for 4th. :laughing:

They had a competition caution 1/2 way through the main sort of like NASCAR does. I think it was just so those factory Can Am guys didn't lap the entire field. :laughing:

Last edited:
On instagram, RG was pissed at them for putting the shocks on the lower A-Arms. Apparently he has a patent on this "technology".

From what I understand, the shocks being mounted there help with the angle being not so drastic.

Yes, Pro Turbo class.

The Miller's and Kyle Chaney dominated that race. When those guys show up everyone else is racing for 4th. :laughing:

They had a competition caution 1/2 way through the main sort of like NASCAR does. I think it was just so those factory Can Am guys didn't lap the entire field. :laughing:

I know they have killer cars but just the difference of being the only cars with the shocks on the lower a-arms alone gives them a significant handling advantage. I’m looking at my car trying to picture how to do it without building a whole bulkhead from scratch.

IsdtbowerTech Tim I cant remember my directions, can one of you please correct me. I know moving the shock mounting points down to the lower arm changes the roll center/roll moment in that it makes the car handle better, less likely to bicycle. Is it moving the roll center/moment down or up (just want to have my terminology correct)

I know they have killer cars but just the difference of being the only cars with the shocks on the lower a-arms alone gives them a significant handling advantage. I’m looking at my car trying to picture how to do it without building a whole bulkhead from scratch.

IsdtbowerTech Tim I cant remember my directions, can one of you please correct me. I know moving the shock mounting points down to the lower arm changes the roll center/roll moment in that it makes the car handle better, less likely to bicycle. Is it moving the roll center/moment down or up (just want to have my terminology correct)

Unless you plan on redesigning your uprights to make them double shear and accept uniballs, how will you accomplish mounting the shocks to the lower arms? You will be trying to push the lower ball joint stud out of its socket with every movement set up like that.

Another thing to note on the Miller's cars...... The entire body is lowered 3" from stock. They claim its done for "vision" but we all know it was done to lower the COG. With the front shocks mounted in the stock position on the bulkhead I'd imagine they would be right in their line of vision sitting 3" lower. Moving them to the lower arms and running a shorter shock at a different motion ratio is how I think they solved that problem. In my opinion, I don't think putting the shocks on the lower arms is any sort of huge handling advantage vs stock for all the work that would be involved.

Unless you plan on redesigning your uprights to make them double shear and accept uniballs, how will you accomplish mounting the shocks to the lower arms? You will be trying to push the lower ball joint stud out of its socket with every movement set up like that.

There are some aftermarket solutions that would address that for me. The ZRP knuckles are double shear upper and lower for uniball a-arms. Would require custom a-arms though.

Another thing to note on the Miller's cars...... The entire body is lowered 3" from stock. They claim its done for "vision" but we all know it was done to lower the COG. With the front shocks mounted in the stock position on the bulkhead I'd imagine they would be right in their line of vision sitting 3" lower. Moving them to the lower arms and running a shorter shock at a different motion ratio is how I think they solved that problem. In my opinion, I don't think putting the shocks on the lower arms is any sort of huge handling advantage vs stock for all the work that would be involved.

It is though. Ask any shock tuner about shock placement and just that one piece of the large suspension geometry puzzle is huge for how the car handles. Even on a straight axle car, mounting the shock eyes on top of the axle because it’s easy, makes the car handle poorly compared to the same car with the shocks eyes mounted below the centerline of the axle tube. This discussion goes around a lot on the 4400 trailing arm cars, it seams like a good idea to package upper trailing arms to keep the shocks farther up out of harms way. It makes a car that doesn’t handle or nearly as easy to tune as a lower trailing arm car.

I talked with Hunter Miller this morning for about an hour. I'm just going to leave these Hammers Chassis pics he texted me here so some of you guys can stare at them for a while and scratch your heads wondering why they are that fast using a STOCK CHASSIS WITH GUSSETS......

:lmao:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4167.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.5 KB ID:	342311

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4167.jpg Views:	0 Size:	244.5 KB ID:	342311

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4158.jpg Views:	0 Size:	251.8 KB ID:	342312

Last edited:
And the front suspension on their short course cars. All parts are available from Tiexera Tech. Nothing in there setup is unobtanium. :smokin:

image_52413.jpg

image_52414.jpg

image_52415.jpg

@JRX4

Last edited:
I talked with Hunter Miller this morning for about an hour. I'm just going to leave these Hammers Chassis pics he texted me here so you guys can stare at them for a while and scratch your heads...... :laughing:

Sooooo, it's all stock chassis basically?
I see the rockers were cut, what's the deal with the body lowered 3" ? How does one replicate that ?

I love these cars. So fucking competitive and badass for limited investment (compared to a big car).

Last edited:
Hunter said their biggest issue is the front diff. He said if they run 100% through the desert and have to panic jab the brakes it usually results in the front diff blowing up. They are working on a fix for next year's race and will also be pushing 400hp! :eek:

I see the rockers were cut, what's the deal with the body lowered 3" ? How does one replicate that ?

I love these cars. So fucking competitive and badass for limited investment (compared to a big car).

They boat sided the koh chassis so it can squeeze through rocks easier.

Oh, stock gusseted trailing arms also. :smokin:

Last edited:

Plastics are 3” lower. I have a spare can am chassis in my yard rusting that has more gussets on it than these winning cars.

pics available upon request

Bebop edit. All you need to do is dremmel the plastics and mount them lower. Can only be done with a rear radiator

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693 Thank you

maybe these guys will accept it now

No problem. It was a pleasure talking to Hunter. Every question I asked he had no problem answering and even texted me the pictures of the KOH chassis when I told him about this thread. He laughed his ass off when I asked him if they stuffed the "custom chassis" tubes with aluminum. :laughing:

I’m sure everyone saw it but I figured it’s worth posting it here.

Full description of a fully built CanAm by CTRaceworks.

image_54374.jpg
image_54373.jpg
image_54371.jpg

Last edited:
That has far more on it than the car they were building me. I’d buy that second.

Top Back Refresh