What's new

Camping/Gear Trailer build

Cool build 😎 I like the sink on the side. Very handy to have

Phase 2 is done and first trip went well. Few minor things to fix but it worked really well.

Propane mount done. Also found a cap that with a little tape covers the vent on the heater.
View attachment 377669

Didn't expect to get it done but the spare is mounted. I went to measure, pushed the tire into place and it stayed, so didn't need to do anything....right? Ended up making a Y bar that hooks on the angle below the water tank and is pinned on the bumper end. The tire can't go anywhere, but there is enough in case I shred one it should hold just a wheel. This made me feel better, I've had 2 pretty big headaches with trailer tires in the past.
View attachment 377670

Then took it and the kiddo easter weekend camping.
View attachment 377673
View attachment 377672
View attachment 377671

Light were a huge thing, I only grabbed one light for the tent rather than the 3-4 I normally setup around camp.

But the kid fell in love with camping and I want to take her as much as I can. Headache point - I get her at 6pm on fridays. By the time we get to a site its often getting dark and trying to setup tent/mattress/bedding/etc while its getting dark with a muchkin running around is not the easiest. So I used the irate parts counter and got a good deal on a schmittybilt RTT. Showed up 2 days later. Building the rack this week for it.

View attachment 377674

I want to be able to walk under the tent, but don't want to have it sitting way over the car's roof. So I picked up some ebay linear actuators and will have a pop-up rtt

Yeah, those pics seem a little off

Got the side frames for the rack welded before I ran out of daylight. I need to practice al tube more, got better towards the end but it was a rough start. Then started notching the cross pieces,stalled the hole saw hard enough to blow the fuse on my mill. Found one spare but it makes me nervous after it was easy to break.

PXL_20210416_002417264.jpg

Had a cookout today and got some help getting the tent up on the rack. Bolted down and setup. My kid and friends son had a blast climbing in and out. At the current low height its super stable. The linear actuators showed up saturday, haven't had time to hook them up yet, hopefully it stays that stable at full height.

PXL_20210418_202302986.MP.jpg

PXL_20210418_203541580.jpg

Nice trailer!

Is your Sportwagen deleted and tuned? I wish I could get mine to 40mpg. Lol

Link to the bottle bracket? Looks prefect for what I need.

Nice trailer!

Is your Sportwagen deleted and tuned? I wish I could get mine to 40mpg. Lol
Not yet, I got mine under the CPO and emissions warranty, so about 80k left of warranty on the engine. Don't want to ruin that, but as soon as it expires I will be tuning it.

I get about 35-40 around town, 35 mostly on winter mix. With a trailer its around 20-25 for heavy stop and go in town stuff or 30-32 mostly highway

Top Back Refresh