What's new

Camera fags - question?

Scott Cee aka 2drx4

Taste the butwhole
Member Number
Loc
The middle of BC, Canada
Okay, so for the guys that have moderate to higher end cameras and actually take them with them when they go "wheeling."

(I'm aware this is chit chat, you all likely last wheeled when the cold war was a thing and the internet wasn't, if you ever did)

What the heck do you do for securing them in your rig? Put them back in the bag and strap them in, or have you got some fancy holster shit, or do you just throw it on the floor and hope it doesn't go flying out?

I find I'd always wish I could get the damn thing out faster to catch whatever is going on, but that's hard to do if it's in the bag. :confused:

The Cold War was really a thing and God Bless any damsel that endured the wrath... wtf? You can't secure your camera?

I generally put it back in a bag that is dedicated to the camera, and handy so I can grab it quickly if shit gits real and needs a photo.

But another solution would be to mount a quick release tripod head somewhere in the vehicle. I would choose a style that can't be bumped easilly though. this one here is just the first photo I found:

710tlsZnYEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	710tlsZnYEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.8 KB ID:	44495

Last edited:
The wife holds the camera with one hand, the “oh shit” handle with the other.

If she’s not with me, camera bag is strapped in passenger seat & the high-end camera goes back in; have a Nikon cool-pix that can go on the Ram-mount if I want photo/video out the front window. Drone is strapped in back seat in hard case.

But another solution would be to mount a quick release tripod head somewhere in the vehicle. I would choose a style that can't be bumped easilly though. this one here is just the first photo I found:

Not a bad idea, although I don't know how long the quick release dovetails and mechanisms will stay tight when exposed to vibration. I don't think that was quite within their design spec. But I could definitely investigate it as an option. There's always a quick release plate on any of my cameras as it is. Also I could probably add a bag/pouch thing to it so if it has an uncommanded release it hopefully won't fall very far immediately.

Not a bad idea, although I don't know how long the quick release dovetails and mechanisms will stay tight when exposed to vibration. I don't think that was quite within their design spec. But I could definitely investigate it as an option. There's always a quick release plate on any of my cameras as it is. Also I could probably add a bag/pouch thing to it so if it has an uncommanded release it hopefully won't fall very far immediately.

Yeah, you'd want a sturdier one. They make some that aren't quite as "quick" release, you have to thread out a large thumb wheel that opens up the jaws (like a tiny bench vise). That would probably be considerably more secure than these ones that just pop open.

And then think about maybe mounting it in a way that isn't rigid to the cage. Maybe some sort of rubber isolater, like a softer transmission mount. I used to use a range finder camera when offroading, the vibration did make the focusing alignment of the range finder off slightly.

this style:

https://www.promediagear.com/C60-Arc...iABEgLLa_D_BwE

Last edited:
Good point and shoot for the oh shit pics and the nikon in its pelican.

Yup, bag secured in cab for the smaller stuff.

For the big lens I just seatbelt it in the rear using the tripod leg.
Edit: I just re-read the last sentence. I know this'll get me some flack. lol.

I leave the high end camera at home and bring the beater (canon 60D) in a think tank bag. I put a cotton carrier hand strap on it too so I don't have to deal with a giant strap. I put them on all my cameras.

Linkage.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...r_10_V2_0.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...l?sts=pi&pim=Y

I wish my beater camera as a 60D! I do the same, I bring the beater camera, a Canon 20D with a cheaper lens, to most trail runs and put it in my center console if I might need it quick. Other wise it gets locked up in one of my ammo cans that I have bolted into the Jeep.

Top Back Refresh