AK_F250

Red Rocket
Member Number
Loc
Alaska
6D0A14CC-7A57-43E0-93A6-72BCE9095294.jpeg
3EE2E580-A765-4A60-AC61-BD2F0DDBF71A.jpeg
495513A7-4EF7-4EA3-88D5-DFF293AB049F.jpeg
Unsolicited back story first. I bought my current house in 2013, it's a split level built in 1976. I've done the full 70's delete kit inside down to bare sheetrock and plywood flooring, but it's still a 70s house in layout. The kitchen, living/dining room, two bedrooms and a bathroom are upstairs, but the master bed/bath plus office/2nd living room and laundry are downstairs. So I have to walk my happy ass through the 4x8 stair landing that doubles as the front door and mud room many times a day. It sucks and I hate it.

Up to this point I've been planning on replacing the septic and selling because the market is on fire here. I paid 330K 7 years ago and there's not a house in my area that's listed for under 500k so I could probably walk away with 200k+ in a matter of days. But, the houses that we're looking at are in the 7-8 range, which is doable but I see a crash coming and don't want to be upside down or spend a bunch of cash for nothing. GF is going to retire at (hopefully) E9 from the air force in 4 years so we decided to hold off and let her retirement make the house payments.

All that being said, I've went from just me and using the back door through the garage, to another person, her son half the year, plus two dogs using the front door daily. I'd like to add an entry way but every one I've seen in my neighborhood of similar houses looks like crap. They just look like someone halfass added a small room out of the middle of the house. My back door is through the garage and up to the deck then into the kitchen/dining room area, so the front is about the only option I have. I'd like to make an addition that doesn't look like it was an afterthought, but it's tough with this style house. I'll throw a couple pics up, anyone have ideas on something aesthetically pleasing to the eye?

Unsolicited back story first. I bought my current house in 2013, it's a split level built in 1976. I've done the full 70's delete kit inside down to bare sheetrock and plywood flooring, but it's still a 70s house in layout. The kitchen, living/dining room, two bedrooms and a bathroom are upstairs, but the master bed/bath plus office/2nd living room and laundry are downstairs. So I have to walk my happy ass through the 4x8 stair landing that doubles as the front door and mud room many times a day. It sucks and I hate it.

Up to this point I've been planning on replacing the septic and selling because the market is on fire here. I paid 330K 7 years ago and there's not a house in my area that's listed for under 500k so I could probably walk away with 200k+ in a matter of days. But, the houses that we're looking at are in the 7-8 range, which is doable but I see a crash coming and don't want to be upside down or spend a bunch of cash for nothing. GF is going to retire at (hopefully) E9 from the air force in 4 years so we decided to hold off and let her retirement make the house payments.

All that being said, I've went from just me and using the back door through the garage, to another person, her son half the year, plus two dogs using the front door daily. I'd like to add an entry way but every one I've seen in my neighborhood of similar houses looks like crap. They just look like someone halfass added a small room out of the middle of the house. My back door is through the garage and up to the deck then into the kitchen/dining room area, so the front is about the only option I have. I'd like to make an addition that doesn't look like it was an afterthought, but it's tough with this style house. I'll throw a couple pics up, anyone have ideas on something aesthetically pleasing to the eye?

Not a helpful answer, but i must be horribly ignorant. I would not have figured that as anywhere near a 500k house in a place like AK where there is plenty of land to be had. Are houses super expensive up there? The 330 price is all that made sense to me :homer:

Anchorage is land locked between the ocean, mountains, .gov and military land there’s nothing left. It’s retarded how much lots go for, I can’t find an acre for under 250k. My house wouldn’t be worth much anywhere else, but here it’s fucking gold. I’m on “the hillside” and get Inlet views off the roof so it commands a 30-50% premium. :lmao:

Come on down to Spenard! Plenty of shitholes on railroad tie foundarions for $200k!

You thought about an Arbys-style solarium? Modern without looking like a generator-shed.

My FIL owns Alaska Glazing, fyi. Did the museum and 800 N Lts.

CE-SUNROOM-1-500x334.jpg

DIY-Aluminium-Sunroom-Kits-Residential-Sunroom-Additional-Living-Space.jpg

pics of GF?

post a sketch of the layout and what you want to do.

I think if you want to un ghettofy that stupid overhand, you'll have to bring the overhang down to the ground level and make some 'window seats' there or something. Then you'll have a little bit of enclosed space to work with.

Full height (but extend the same roof line on the same slope) and the width between the two jut outs. Lots of windows, match the siding or replace all the front siding while you're at it.

Full height (but extend the same roof line on the same slope) and the width between the two jut outs. Lots of windows, match the siding or replace all the front siding while you're at it.

I was going to say full height with a gable but I like this idea too. It would probably do the best at making it look original. Going full height is the way to go with it.

As wide as you can full height, lots of windows, and extended out into the yard a ways.

Pretty much exactly like my rendering

20200919_231158.jpg

As wide as you can full height, lots of windows, and extended out into the yard a ways.

Wow! You must be an architect or draftsman with those rendering skills.

i assume, the house is far enough back from the fron yard set back, that you can do an addition? if not
you can delete one of the garage bays, and make that the mud room entry.

first check zoning and site plan to see if you have room. if yes i can draw you up an idea or 2.
i am not licensed in Alaska, but itcan help.

I will be building a home on my property int he next couple of years.

Please, how much for your design services?

Your skills are beyond amazing!

Come on down to Spenard! Plenty of shitholes on railroad tie foundarions for $200k!

You thought about an Arbys-style solarium? Modern without looking like a generator-shed.

My FIL owns Alaska Glazing, fyi. Did the museum and 800 N Lts.

That's not a bad idea. Front of the house is facing south so tons of sun.

pics of GF?

post a sketch of the layout and what you want to do.

I think if you want to un ghettofy that stupid overhand, you'll have to bring the overhang down to the ground level and make some 'window seats' there or something. Then you'll have a little bit of enclosed space to work with.

No idea what I want to do other than something not shitty.

I was going to say full height with a gable but I like this idea too. It would probably do the best at making it look original. Going full height is the way to go with it.

I like that idea. I'm probably going to do a new roof next year so that wouldn't be a big deal.

I'm trying to build an entry way not the fucking gates to hell :flipoff2:

i assume, the house is far enough back from the fron yard set back, that you can do an addition? if not
you can delete one of the garage bays, and make that the mud room entry.

first check zoning and site plan to see if you have room. if yes i can draw you up an idea or 2.
i am not licensed in Alaska, but itcan help.

Are you on the right website? Delete a garage bay??? I'd rather delete a nut, the garage is the main reason I bought the house :flipoff2:

Glad you brought up zoning and setbacks, time for another rant. My zoning is fucked because these were originally large lots that were subdivided as far as I can tell. So I'm zoned as 1+ acre but have a little under a 1/2 acre and I still have to meet the 1+ acre setbacks at 50' f/r 25' side. If this wasn't the case I'd build a shop in the back and have another thread going on that, but the assholes won't give me a variance to the 15/5' setbacks my lot should have. I think they're making more property taxes off us and don't want the masses to wake up and realize they're taking it in the ass.

Right now I have 61.5 off the front to the official lot line according to my as-built. That goes off the 2' overhang so if I was to build in there I'm realistically looking at about 13' deep to work with, which seems like more than enough. I don't want to go too big and heat an unnecessarily large space. I have baseboard heat so unless I add a zone or go to electric the area is going to be heated off the downstairs zone. Maybe electric would be easier since I could keep it at a lower temp. My gas bill with an 800sf garage is already close to $400 a month when its cold, might as well bring up the electric bill to match :laughing:

i've got basically the same house, fucking hate it so much more after living with it, but SomeGuy hit on it. Fill in the box, pop it out a little bit. doesn't need to be huge, large enough you could open both doors without dying would be nice

Top Back Refresh