What's new

Call it a hunch

Inventory takes a while to cycle through, especially ammo that is marked up to keep people from buying everything out. Gun show guys are pretty far down on the distribution food chain. If you are looking for ammo deals at a gun show, you are going to be disappointed. Everything at gun shows in this day and age is priced at top dollar, because it's super rare and collectible and one sold on gunbroker at the height of the panic for that price.
I skip most of the shows here, because it's the same guys not selling the same crap every time. There's a couple of guys who actually want to sell stuff and have it priced decently.
Then there's other guys who think that a firearm is somehow worth several hundred dollars more, because it's a private sale.

i probably should have asked about deals before i bought. i'm not much of an avid shooter, but i was out and been waiting for a while to buy.

just looked at Sgammo and its priced about the same i paid... ? do they have anything other than steel case stuff for under 60cents a round?

so what do you all consider a decent price on .223??
i've been working way to much lately, so the brain is a little fuzzy (and also why i dgaf about buying the ammo right now). but i dont remember 223 ever being much less than 50cents a round.... i have also only been a gun owner for the past 10yrs or so.

am i really that crazy?

edit*
-the 300 blackout was cheaper than anything on sgammo

- 9mm also cheaper where i bought than sgammo

-the 22lr is a little cheaper on sgammo, i could have saved $50. meh, over all still a better deal.

i put all of the closest matching ammo is the cart and the price from sgammo was more after shipping and tax.

between the retards running the country and inflation do you all really think ammo prices will ever be much cheaper than they are now? i can see it coming down 10-20% more but thats it. i dont think prices will ever fall mare than that unless we hit a real recession. but no matter what with the amount of dollars now in circulation, i'd say its crazy to think ammo price will ever be back to what we remember them.
At current ammp prices, your better off investing in reloading equip.

MP5s are indeed awesome, but there are a lot of great options now days.

https://bt-arms.com/products/apc9-pro/

With my can on it, it makes all the ammo disappear and all it leaves is a pile of brass and shit eating grin in exchange. Glock lower, so same mags as my AR9, Mlok, basically a modern MP5.
that the delayed blowback one or just the blowback one?
Remember seeing pics of the internals on the delayed one and thought it looked neat
or maybe that's the stribog or whatever?

that the delayed blowback one or just the blowback one?
Remember seeing pics of the internals on the delayed one and thought it looked neat
or maybe that's the stribog or whatever?
Blow back, special sauce is in the recoil assembly.

The Stribog gen 3 has a roller delay, it's a single roller on the top of the bolt. I have heard the stribogs are hit or miss on reliability, but they are cheap. Rumor is they are going to a cz scorpion mag in the future.

The B&Ts are supposed to be awesome, but nobody around here carries them and they are over 2K.

I went to a local gun show Saturday and I was expecting high $$$ on ammo and other items. I was surprised to see most ammo priced fairly reasonable compared to where it’s been priced at. Hi powered ammo was at old normal pricing but .22lr was still very high.

I was at cabelas last week and their 20 round boxes were high along with the rest of the ammo they had on the shelves. But there wasn’t any limit on what you could buy… if you wanted to pay their prices.

99B9D6D3-79E7-43E5-BBAA-3AD782FF8414.jpeg
99B9D6D3-79E7-43E5-BBAA-3AD782FF8414.jpeg

I was in a well stocked LGS this morning in Casa Grande, and they didn't have everything, but in Glock for example they probably had 15 varients...no G43x but most of the other stuff, G17, G19, G34, etc.

well i blew it on the timeframe, but it looks like sales on things have crawled to almost an actual halt. used stuff seems to be moving very slow and i dont know who is buying new guns. ive had an AR-10 i detailed my build on the other site and i cant move that thing for the last 4 months.

but thats just one data point. what are yall seeing?

well i blew it on the timeframe, but it looks like sales on things have crawled to almost an actual halt. used stuff seems to be moving very slow and i dont know who is buying new guns. ive had an AR-10 i detailed my build on the other site and i cant move that thing for the last 4 months.

I'm seeing slow sales. Was moving stuff regularly towards the end of last year but around christmas it tailed off and now its pretty dead. Hoping maybe tax season would kick it back up but not that I have seen.

Have gotten a few calls on basic smithing work - people seem to be interested in getting older stuff cleaned up and fixed. But even some $100 size jobs people are saying they need to save for.

Got a show at the beginning of May that is usually been good. Hoping it has some movement

I'm seeing slow sales. Was moving stuff regularly towards the end of last year but around christmas it tailed off and now its pretty dead. Hoping maybe tax season would kick it back up but not that I have seen.

Have gotten a few calls on basic smithing work - people seem to be interested in getting older stuff cleaned up and fixed. But even some $100 size jobs people are saying they need to save for.

Got a show at the beginning of May that is usually been good. Hoping it has some movement

shows have all been high prices and no one buying what was on the tables.

see my thread about tax season. i think there are going to be very few people with disposable income after the tax man cometh. especially when i also just saw my car and home insurance went up by 20%. no claims either.... everything is skyrocketing.

shows have all been high prices and no one buying what was on the tables.

see my thread about tax season. i think there are going to be very few people with disposable income after the tax man cometh. especially when i also just saw my car and home insurance went up by 20%. no claims either.... everything is skyrocketing.
I'm only holding hope due to this particular show. Its a private one for members of the local trading forum. No walk up tickets, no one can get more than 3 tables and its only once a year. So its not the normal gun show crowd and most of the sellers are individuals or small shops. With it being limited most people come looking to make it big.

If its not I'll at least have cash on hand to buy at the lows. Its only a matter of time before something kicks it back up even with the inflation. Inflation+lack of legistation has everyone not wanting to spend.

Trying to be setup to take CCs before then. I have lost a couple sales due to people not having cash on hand (or in the bank) that could have bit if they could finance it on their card.

I think the issue is parts themselves seem to moving fine, but $1-2K for a complete rifle is a harder sell these days. I got into the AR world for the first time this year, and If I had to fork out $1200-1500 for a complete gun I wouldn't have done it, but being able to piece together the two Ive built so far hasnt presented any issues. Ive been using GAFS frequently and desirable items still go fast, in the matter of minutes,

Things are moving pretty slow where I'm at.
Been trying to sell a few things and not much interest.
Tax returns are a lot smaller this year with most of the covid stuff expiring. Add inflation to that and money for guns isn't what it used to be.

I haven't been to a local show in years. I've made the 4 hour pilgrimage to Wanenmacher's in Tulsa for the past 5 or 6 years (they canceled during covid) and after last year's spring show, I decided I was done. Unless someone in my circle of cronies just really wants me to go again, there's nothing there to make it worth the frustration. Roc Doc's observation of pricing is exactly what I noticed too.

I've been seeing the road signs for a local show at the Expo center, there are a few things I'm looking for that I might find there, but still not sure it's worth the frustration either.

Even overpriced at a local gun show, I might still be able to beat Gunbroker, because it isn't any better. By the time you pay shipping, BS credit card fees, and FFL transfer you've probably added $75-100 to whatever the "purchase price" is.

I haven't been to a local show in years. I've made the 4 hour pilgrimage to Wanenmacher's in Tulsa for the past 5 or 6 years (they canceled during covid) and after last year's spring show, I decided I was done. Unless someone in my circle of cronies just really wants me to go again, there's nothing there to make it worth the frustration. Roc Doc's observation of pricing is exactly what I noticed too.

I've been seeing the road signs for a local show at the Expo center, there are a few things I'm looking for that I might find there, but still not sure it's worth the frustration either.

Even overpriced at a local gun show, I might still be able to beat Gunbroker, because it isn't any better. By the time you pay shipping, BS credit card fees, and FFL transfer you've probably added $75-100 to whatever the "purchase price" is.

There are deals on gunbroker. I'm just not willing to put the time into finding them. Add fees for everything. They seem to cater to the "I want this" crowd who doesnt care about price, they just want whatever the item is.

The only advantage of gun shows is you can handle and look at a wide variety of options in a single location. You aren't limited to just what your local dealer has in stock or driving 4 places to find what you want. But between table fees, markup, etc its almost never the place to buy.

The only advantage of gun shows is you can handle and look at a wide variety of options in a single location.

The handle and look, inspect in person is worth while. I got slightly burned on Winchester 290 on Gunbroker last year. I could have stopped bidding, so I for sure share the blame. I'd already done the calculus in my head, and decided I was spending $50 more than it was worth when I placed the winning bid. Seller was strategic with photos, in addition to poor lighting, when the thing arrived it was in a lot worse condition than the "handling wear and minor scratches" I was expecting. I probably overpaid $100+ for that one. :homer:

I did another dumb one, one of those Webleys I bought Jewels last year, I'd been buying crap on eBay at the time and forgot that Gunbroker's rules were different. I put a bid in on the pistol thinking I was putting the max I was willing to bid like on eBay, nope when I bid, that was my bid. Well, I won it.:laughing: :homer::homer::homer: I'm fairly confident I overpaid for that one too, not really more than its worth, but I'm pretty sure it would have sold for less than my swing for the fences bid.

I get why they have the 15 min rule, but I'd sure like the opportunity to snipe bids like eBay. I'm sure someone has a macro/app to cheat the system, so 15 min rule probably needs to stay.

People are still asking retail for used guns from what I've seen.

Firearms | Guns Arizona Classifieds - Buy Sell Trade Firearms, Knives and More
This isn't new. Pawn shops are the WORST, and have been for some time ( 10 or more years) .

I went in one and they had a 12 gauge I was looking at, and I had just seen one brand new for sale at the local Academy (sporting goods store) for $100+ cheaper than the pawn shop. The guy was... NO I won't deal, I'll get me price.

And I'm sure he did, just not from me.

This isn't new. Pawn shops are the WORST, and have been for some time ( 10 or more years) .

I went in one and they had a 12 gauge I was looking at, and I had just seen one brand new for sale at the local Academy (sporting goods store) for $100+ cheaper than the pawn shop. The guy was... NO I won't deal, I'll get me price.

And I'm sure he did, just not from me.
There was a time.
A few years ago I was staying overnight in Tucson, and was cruising Backpages and saw an ad for a Kimber 1911 in 9mm, TLE/RL or something, for $750. I called the number and it was a pawn shop, and I was there when it opened, I offered $700, and it looked to be unfired, in the original case and came with 5 mags, and they took it. I don't know what they gave the poor schmuck that sold it to them but it was a $1400 package even then.

rolling into July, still seems like the market is depressed for gun sales. just checked and the NICS for June 2023 are down almost 20% YOY from june 2022.

i still see lots of mid-range to high-end guns for sale that are not moving. will be interesting to see as we move into the fall.

Last edited:
rolling into July, still seems like the market is depressed for gun sales. just checked and the NICS for June 2023 are down almost 20% YOY from june 2022.

i still see lost of mid-range to high-end guns for sale that are not moving. will be interesting to see as we move into the fall.
I'm seeing a lot more collector stuff, and the niche stuff that randomly shows up on Gunbroker is getting relisted, zero bids.

Saved searches that send me email notifications, I'm seeing the same gun listed multiple times before selling, if it sells.

Reloading components are trickling back into stock, most primers are over $100 for 1k, which is 3x what they were pre-covid. Some powder is unobtanium, (Alliant), and others like Varget and H4350 are $380 for a keg, which is $100 more than it was a few years ago. Bullets, especially 105g and 109g 6mm bullets from Berger are not expected to be in stock till 2025 due to a lack of jackets.

I'm stocked up with enough to shoot for the next 3-4 years, but who knows what bullshit is going to come our way in that time.

I have a few guns that are on my radar to pickup but it's limited. They Henry was bought last month. Looking for a CZ and maybe a Bren 2. That's gonna be some change but also been shopping more for plates, carriers, and even some on the thermal side of things. And there are suppressors that I'd like to get signed up for.

Reloading components are trickling back into stock, most primers are over $100 for 1k, which is 3x what they were pre-covid. Some powder is unobtanium, (Alliant), and others like Varget and H4350 are $380 for a keg, which is $100 more than it was a few years ago. Bullets, especially 105g and 109g 6mm bullets from Berger are not expected to be in stock till 2025 due to a lack of jackets.

I'm stocked up with enough to shoot for the next 3-4 years, but who knows what bullshit is going to come our way in that time.

the brass manufacturers like Lapua cutting down on caliber selection is REALLY rough. and disappointing.

the brass manufacturers like Lapua cutting down on caliber selection is REALLY rough. and disappointing.
Lapua is concentrating on NATO purchases now. Starline has just offered 6 ARC, and Alpha is making 6GT so at least we have some Hornady alternatives.

I thought Lapua stopped civilian brass sales, or ammo. Too much demand for the good stuff in eastern Europe right now. And Lapua owns Berger ?

Edit: FUD Midway is stocked.

I thought Lapua stopped civilian brass sales, or ammo. Too much demand for the good stuff in eastern Europe right now. And Lapua owns Berger ?

Edit: FUD Midway is stocked.
Capstone owns Lapua and Berger and SK and Vihtavuori.

Top Back Refresh