What's new

California schools are gonna be shut down again it looks like

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
You guys can think what you want but this fucking pisses me off.

I am a teacher and I just sent a message to my coworkers and union that if they support this I am out of being a member of the union. That matters because I am at a charter and we are currently in the process of unionizing. Again, believe what you want, but I am fairly respected there, and in the area, as a great teacher and advocate for kids and not adults. If I back off, the whole thing could very well fall apart.

With San Diego and LA unifieds saying that will not open, and have NO TIMETABLE to open, other districts will have to follow that have any type of urban population. Nobody is going to want to be the person who bucks the trend and then a staff member or kid gets the virus and dies. Every superintendant will use those two districts for cover and crawl under their desks and hide.

Extremely disappointed and fucking pissed that this is happening.

https://edsource.org/2020/schools-in...t-month/635924

So you want the schools open with normal classroom sizes?

Actually yes! LOL

But I know that isn't going to happen. What we talked about was a rotation where half the kids come 8-11:30 and the other half 12:00-3:30. Half hour lunch/cleaning.

Remember, I am at a charter so I don't have 40 in a room like some places. We cap at 24

Actually yes! LOL

But I know that isn't going to happen. What we talked about was a rotation where half the kids come 8-11:30 and the other half 12:00-3:30. Half hour lunch/cleaning.

Remember, I am at a charter so I don't have 40 in a room like some places. We cap at 24

so 12 per room in the 50/50 setup? how big are the rooms? are they of the age where mask wearing would be respected? I'm honestly ok with the split setup at your place if so. but I understand why LA can't do that. they dont have the nearly the same ratio.

Weird, Ducey is following Trump's guidelines and wants to reopen schools here, The teachers union here sez it is too early and wait.

Must be a California thing.

There is a grand puba meeting union zoom meeting tomorrow that I am going to jump in on and listen. If it turns into a shitshow, I am going to get vocal

Just got the phone call here that my county is 100% virtual/distance learning for K-12, at least for now.

Never in my life I ever thought I would actually see a teacher WANT to work!! 2020 is fucking weird!

Never in my life I ever thought I would actually see a teacher WANT to work!! 2020 is fucking weird!

Every teacher i know does it for the LOVE of teaching, not the money. They are all dieing to go back to work.

Good luck!

I've been sending things over to my district and state public school goobers about as often as i can find it.

UC San Fran just put out a study saying Schools Should Be OPEN in the fall.

I really hope you are able to get success.

Good luck!

I've been sending things over to my district and state public school goobers about as often as i can find it.

UC San Fran just put out a study saying Schools Should Be OPEN in the fall.

I really hope you are able to get success.

Ill take copies of what you send.

that's cause the online school is more work:laughing:

Actually that has nothing to do with it. We have five elementary teachers in our extended family. I’ve talked at length with them. You think about trying to teach a first grader to read with on line learning. Then the whole...I don’t know my students because we haven’t even met face to face. My niece is a vice principal at one elementary. We went to Lake Powell with them a few weeks ago. We talked at length about this very thing. She said fifty percent of the kids at the end of last year did no work. None! She is praying they go back because the students were learning nothing.

Just read that both LA and San Diego pubic schools have said the fall will be online only for at least the start of the school year. Haven’t heard anything from my daughters private school yet. Last we heard from an email last week they were planning to open as normal August 31st.

there is not vaccination coming, its a virus so its here, we just need to embrace the sucks and let things happen how they may.

the insanity has to stop

This is the one true answer. The genie is out of the bottle and we are just deceiving ourselves by thinking we can put it back in. At best all these absurd measures are simply prolonging the inevitable.

It is amazing to me how many people seem perfectly content to go along with all this and there hasn't been more unrest and opposition.

this is the questionnaire we had to fill out for our son who is supposed to start kinder this year, this means i am going to have to buy a stupid tablet for the kid since i know they arent sending paper packets home for him. based on what i can find on the website, this applies to k-12. my dad is a HS teacher in this district so im curious to see what they are telling the teachers.

wife teaches in another district int own and they are doing a full online or 50% capacity 50% time on campus. i have a feeling that will change here shortly.

school.jpg

Actually yes! LOL

I am supposed to do the same thing at my work. We are supposed to start August 10th (normally we start the end of July) and have that stupid rotation thing,

Don't know what is gunna happen now though

that's cause the online school is more work:laughing:

Fawk yeah it is. I was getting nearly 300 emails a day of student work at the end of the school year...

But here is the REAL issue......suddenly loser teachers found out that the PARENTS could see what they were really doing.

Our district told us to keep everything simple, not go overboard on technology or overwhelm the kids. Direct qouter: "This is NOT the time to get creative" We were to give no more than an hour and a half of work per class per week. We were basically in "get through this" mode.

What do the fucking teachers do? Most went WAY over-board, daily zoom meeting, multiple websites, different techy ways to turn shit in. It was a shit show.

Fawk yeah it is. I was getting nearly 300 emails a day of student work at the end of the school year...

But here is the REAL issue......suddenly loser teachers found out that the PARENTS could see what they were really doing.

Our district told us to keep everything simple, not go overboard on technology or overwhelm the kids. Direct qouter: "This is NOT the time to get creative" We were to give no more than an hour and a half of work per class per week. We were basically in "get through this" mode.

What do the fucking teachers do? Most went WAY over-board, daily zoom meeting, multiple websites, different techy ways to turn shit in. It was a shit show.

Speak truth to power!!! Spot on

I know that people will think that I am being hyperbolic but I worked 16-20 hours a day making YouTube videos at night and on the weekends, meeting with every kid on Zoom daily (even weekends), creating assignments, graphics for the videos to make them more "fun", tracking down kids that didn't show on Zoom, diagnosing computer issues, etc. There was a period of about 12 days when I realized I hadn't even left my house. :eek: Teaching a kid to use a new website like Seesaw, Zoom, etc. was rough while learning it myself. Parents were frustrated, kids were, I was.

I earned my money. We had some who did shit and you are right, the parents noticed the difference. Especially when one was in my grade and could compare what I did vs. her, which is why she will not have a job in my grade next year :smokin::smokin:

What is going to be the most difficult is now I will have a group of kids that I do not know. Do not know there strengths and weaknesses, personalities, parents, motivations, etc. When everything happened last school year, I already knew those kids backwards and forwards. This is going to be a cluster but I will make the best of it.

read more into whats going on. They want to go back to work, for a drastically increased salary, as hazard pay because they might get the virus.

Every teacher i know does it for the LOVE of teaching, not the money. They are all dieing to go back to work.

Shirley you are joking.

i know there are good teachers out there, but there are some who just do it because they cant do anything else. They give the former a bad name.

Didnt see it posted but whats the estimated count of kids getting the virus from going back to the standard classroom setting ?

Its not just about the teachers and their paychecks.

The state does not own the kids as much as they think its written into policy that they do.

Its the parents that are the ultimate advocate of the kids not the school snd not the state and seriously fuck the federal government in respect to this thing!

It fine for those that want to take the attatude let the chips fall where they may for their own person but quite another thing to think they can subject others to their own attatude or behaviors.

Gamble with your own life but not with others.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh