What's new

CAL 31 sailboat thread "Mystic", formerly CAL 29 sailboat build/refit "Traveller"

She's mine! and she's home! Took 8 hours because there was NO wind for most of the trip, motor only, but for a couple hours we did raise sails and motor sail her some to gained a half mile per hour. The trip drug on til dark, dodging crab pots like hell because new to me channel, I'm sure in better daylight the "right way" in would have been plainly visible, but in the dark was relying on depth gauge and navigation program to monitor more water depth than anything, because no clear marked channel, just the main channel, and then Blount creek entry markers, the gap between was left to my imagination as to the best way to get there. started raining right at the end to, so no moonlight, etc..relying totally on the navigation and creeping slow because couldn't see shit lol. But she's home and tied off well enough to survive the night. So stoked! :smokin:

Okay now sell it and buy another one. The first time you sail a boat it makes a good story, and now this story ended so have the happiest day of a boat owners life the following it with the second happiest day.

Okay now sell it and buy another one. The first time you sail a boat it makes a good story, and now this story ended so have the happiest day of a boat owners life the following it with the second happiest day.
yeah, they say that, but after spending last weekend on it, fumbling through learning how the AC and heat works and all, no way in hell do I intend to lose this one. She's fully insured, a mistake i made with the last one, because she was so much of a project. This one is complete. needs the bottom scrubbed and new bottom paint, and intend to take all the lines off one at a time and clean them and reinstall, but otherwise, besides probably adding solar to it, she's good to go.

Still internally debating on whether to start another thread about the new boat, which isn't so much a build, since it's a runner, more just maintenance projects, post in the boat thread, or just stfu about it altogether. Or just keep updating this thread if anyone is watching it and gives a shit. Vote? :emb:

Still internally debating on whether to start another thread about the new boat, which isn't so much a build, since it's a runner, more just maintenance projects, post in the boat thread, or just stfu about it altogether. Or just keep updating this thread if anyone is watching it and gives a shit. Vote? :emb:
I'd love to keep seeing posts. Either here or a new thread works. Post up any adventure you go on with it.

I was hoping to make it to Maine a couple months ago to go sailing with family. Too busy and broke to make it happen, so I vicariously live through your thread.

Keep posting. I want to see it here.

I've seen the votes. Recently got a new phone so I have to compile some stuff, old pics and videos, etc..and I can even share the project list me and a buddy are compiling. For a boat that I can crank right now and go sailing for the afternoon, or go on a week trip leaps and bounds easier than I did with Traveller, the list of shit that I feel compelled to get done to it to satisfy myself that she's "ship shape" is long and slightly depressing lol. I will be updating, just slow about it :homer:

Last edited:
Here is the list of projects. Bilge cleaning is in process, it's been sprayed and vacuumed out a few times, but window leaks are providing a constant source of new water for the diesel microbial growth to continue, so re-sealing windows is high on the list now. Due to my nature of "two is one, and one is none" on a boat, a second bilge pump is already bought, just not installed until the bilge is clean. Fuel tank doesn't leak, engine doesn't leak, but the bilge has a grimy, oily type film to it with blobs of black algae looking stuff floating in it. Due to the nature of bilge pumps, and the backflow that always comes back to the bilge when pump shuts off, i'm wanting to home brew a small vacuum pump system that will suck every drop of water from bilge. They sell them for marine purposes, but they charge BOAT (bust out another thousand) prices for them.
Ok enough rambling, here's the list. Feel free to comment with suggestions.
Cal 31 Project List - Projects.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a dry bilge system that's really not that expensive. There are plans online for building similar for less than half that price, etc..but that's really not that bad a price. Bilge sucky suck

Here is a dry bilge system that's really not that expensive. There are plans online for building similar for less than half that price, etc..but that's really not that bad a price. Bilge sucky suck
That's cheap enough, just buy it.

You can add a check valve to the outlet line of thr bilge if it's really long.

That's cheap enough, just buy it.

You can add a check valve to the outlet line of thr bilge if it's really long.
Everything you'll read on any sailing forum says never put a check valve in a primary bilge pump hose. it's about like the hysteria that "OMG a jeep on a dana 35 rear with large tires will come in your house and eat your children while you sleep!!!!111!!!" If you have a proper vent loop and a check valve, I don't personally see how you'll siphon in outside water and sink the boat, but the forums swear by it :shaking:

Everything you'll read on any sailing forum says never put a check valve in a primary bilge pump hose. it's about like the hysteria that "OMG a jeep on a dana 35 rear with large tires will come in your house and eat your children while you sleep!!!!111!!!" If you have a proper vent loop and a check valve, I don't personally see how you'll siphon in outside water and sink the boat, but the forums swear by it :shaking:
Yeah idk about that. As long as your not using thr valve to seal and discharging under water? It's just holding thr discharge tube from dumping back in?

So, couldn't you use a Holley hydromat to suck all the water out?

Yeah idk about that. As long as your not using thr valve to seal and discharging under water? It's just holding thr discharge tube from dumping back in?
I think the concern is that with a check valve, then any dirty, nasty water that may be in the bilge, is then stuck in the line, possibly fouling the check valve, maybe stopping flow altogether? I agree it seems mostly dumb that across 3 sailing forums the general solution is to keep a small shop vac on board to suck out the last little bit of water. The Cal 29 was a bone dry boat, until that storm damaged it, then every weekend I was pumping a foot of water out of it. My intent is to get this boat that dry as well, and one way I intend to do that is to seal the ice box from draining into the bilge, and install a small pump in the bottom instead that will pump melted ice water overboard (when I intend to) so that for one, I have cold water in the ice box instead of the ice melting and losing all that cold water right to the bilge all the time anyway. Seal the windows, and when I haul it out in the Fall for bottom paint, put in a new stuffing box gland to be sure I'm not getting excessive water around prop shaft.
Once all of those things are ticked off the list, a shop vac here and there would actually keep the bilge bone dry in theory. I like the idea of a small, on board, vacuum pump that will drain every drop though just for the convenience.
So, couldn't you use a Holley hydromat to suck all the water out?
That looks like a possible solution, I'd never heard of those. I've seen home built versions using a basic household sponge with basically a blank wall plate for an outlet box with a hole drilled through and a nipple inserted as well. same basic idea.

I've seen the votes. Recently got a new phone so I have to compile some stuff, old pics and videos, etc..and I can even share the project list me and a buddy are compiling. For a boat that I can crank right now and go sailing for the afternoon, or go on a week trip leaps and bounds easier than I did with Traveller, the list of shit that I feel compelled to get done to it to satisfy myself that she's "ship shape" is long and slightly depressing lol. I will be updating, just slow about it :homer:
Sounds a lot like my Jeep. Just do one thing at a time, and get to it during the week for a few hours at a time. It's much less depressing when you've spent 10 hours working on the boat, but don't realize it because it's time you'd spend watching TV or looking at thicc girls on your favorite nudie site.

Buy the Bilge Sucky Suck. You said it isn't that much, and instead of spending time building it to save a few bucks you can spend the time working on the boat so you can go sailing.

Buy the Bilge Sucky Suck. You said it isn't that much, and instead of spending time building it to save a few bucks you can spend the time working on the boat so you can go sailing.
That's my favorite thing about this boat. The last one, I got it home and ripped into it deep, was stripped bare and unusable once here. This one, it's in sailing shape, and I make sure all projects (for now at least) keep it that way. Not going to tear into it deep enough to shut her down. I generally keep project schedules so that I can start early saturday morning, knock something out, and still sail that afternoon. Keeps me motivated. I want a boat to use and enjoy, not to work on endlessly.

Ordered new fuel sending unit yesterday, and since it was only like 11 bucks more, got the full kit with brand new lighted gauge. Will install that Labor Day weekend probably, and rip into the first window possibly, if I can find the right rubber seal in time to put back in the frame. I'd rather not have to rip the window out and then match up the seal if at all possible.

Slight progress, I haven't visited the boat since last posting, been in the hospital for a week. That's beside the point, a buddy went to the boat for me, bilge is mostly clean now, although still not dry because windows aren't re-sealed yet. Still good news though. Still plan to replace fuel gauge next weekend, and now that bilge is clean, can install automatic bilge pump to keep bilge mostly dry. Small progress, but progress any way. I'll take it.

Last edited:
Went back to the boat today, got the fuel sending unit installed, and removed one window, the worst leaking one, fully expecting to find the wood core rotten between fiberglass layers due to the leak. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's solid fiberglass, so nothing there to rot. I pulled the frame out and pulled the rubber seals from around the glass and tried to source new seals at West Marine and the local boat yard, but nobody had anything. Since there was no rot, and not that hard to remove the windows as I expected it to be, I went ahead and removed all 4, and will take them to a glass shop Monday to get them all resealed.
20220910_101513.jpg
20220910_102525.jpg
20220910_115211.jpg

Must say that I'm rather envious. My family in Maine sail wooden boats. My dad went up there to learn and help build wooden boats. I'm getting the hankering to do the same.

Must say that I'm rather envious. My family in Maine sail wooden boats. My dad went up there to learn and help build wooden boats. I'm getting the hankering to do the same.
Staying away from as much wood as possible on a boat is one of the main reasons both my boats have been Cal sailboats. They are almost totally fiberglass, with very little wood coring in them to rot away, even less than I expected, as I said in the previous post. A boat like this is enough maintenance, I'd HATE to have a wooden boat lol, I can't imagine the level of upkeep that would require.

Staying away from as much wood as possible on a boat is one of the main reasons both my boats have been Cal sailboats. They are almost totally fiberglass, with very little wood coring in them to rot away, even less than I expected, as I said in the previous post. A boat like this is enough maintenance, I'd HATE to have a wooden boat lol, I can't imagine the level of upkeep that would require.
That makes two of us. I know that my family is biased towards classic wooden boats. I do like them, but have seen that the amount of maintenance they require is a headache.

I like forming fiberglass and carbon fiber. Itchy stuff, but cool how well it lasts.

That makes two of us. I know that my family is biased towards classic wooden boats. I do like them, but have seen that the amount of maintenance they require is a headache.

I like forming fiberglass and carbon fiber. Itchy stuff, but cool how well it lasts.
You LIKE forming fiberglass? :eek::laughing: I know how to do it, I can do it, and do it well, but I don't like it at all lol.

You LIKE forming fiberglass? :eek::laughing: I know how to do it, I can do it, and do it well, but I don't like it at all lol.
Lol. I do, believe it or not. Making rigid parts in complex shapes gets my rocks off lol.

Keep on posting, man. I wanna see your boat on the waters again.

I keep it sea worthy, woulda went out today but the hurricane off shore had it pretty gusty to try sailing without getting into possible trouble, that and all the windows are out of it now.

The new window gasket material arrived this week, and this morning tried to install it on the glass, and it worked...ok. Got one window done and wasn't satisfied with how it was working out, and the stuff is too expensive to screw it up and start over, so I stopped while I was ahead, and decided to carry it to a glass shop monday and have it done by someone who does that crap every day so it'll be right. I had the seal in there, and glass in there, but the frame halves weren't quite lining back up right, etc.. and I didn't want to end up breaking the glass, or ruining the seals, because then I woulda gotten pissed and had to throw something overboard again :laughing:
Went out sailing instead and let Russell's daughter drive some. Had a good time and saved my sanity :beer:

Got the windows back right before the hurricane, and was concerned that the taped over window holes would blow out and leak, but luckily the hurricane turned out to just be a rainy day here with hardly any wind. Got the windows put back in yesterday, and as it turns out, the taped over windows didn't leak at all even in 4 inches of rain, which is by far better than what would have happened had the old windows been still in the boat. Not a drop of water inside. Caulked and reinstalled all 4 windows with far less fuss than I predicted, even though i had to use a few makeshift wedges to hold the windows tight to the outer shell long enough for adhesive to set.
A pic of windows going back in, and a pic of the final product, then just a shot of the view when hanging out on the boat in the evening hours :smokin:
20221008_124448.jpg
20221008_135815.jpg

20220624_184711.jpg

Top Back Refresh