What's new

CAL 31 sailboat thread "Mystic", formerly CAL 29 sailboat build/refit "Traveller"

that was an epic read! :smokin:

so wheres the next destination once you get some work done to the boat?

When she's all finished I want to coastal cruise around here for a while, maybe move it around to different docks along the NC coast and be able to go stay on the boat on weekends, etc. Eventually I want to go to Bermuda, which is 600 miles from NC. These boats have gone around the world, I wouldn't mind doing that one day either.

Another interesting quirk about this boat, and countless others of it's age, is the engine in it. It's a Universal Atomic 4. It's a gas powered 4 cylinder very similar to a Willy's Jeep engine, but was originally designed for small Navy landing craft, life boats, etc. it then became very popular in sailboats for a while.

Would it be worth the hassle of switching to a diesel? Gas fumes from a leak or vent would make me nervous.

Would it be worth the hassle of switching to a diesel? Gas fumes from a leak or vent would make me nervous.

From my personal experience being around other older sailboats that do have diesel engines, smelly engine rooms are just the norm. I've replaced every bit of the fuel system on mine, so I know there's no leaks, and my old sailboat is one of the few where when I go into it I don't smell gas smells, diesel smells, oil smells, or anything else. The NAPA here in Washington does actually sell a bolt in replacement diesel engine for the Atomic 4, but it's thousands of dollars, so high it's still cheaper to buy another Atomic 4 from Moyer Marine. They bought the castings and all I believe from Universal and they're making new blocks.

From my personal experience being around other older sailboats that do have diesel engines, smelly engine rooms are just the norm. I've replaced every bit of the fuel system on mine, so I know there's no leaks, and my old sailboat is one of the few where when I go into it I don't smell gas smells, diesel smells, oil smells, or anything else. The NAPA here in Washington does actually sell a bolt in replacement diesel engine for the Atomic 4, but it's thousands of dollars, so high it's still cheaper to buy another Atomic 4 from Moyer Marine. They bought the castings and all I believe from Universal and they're making new blocks.

Not so much worried about smell, more ignition, bilge fans ect.

Boat looks awesome btw. Iv started watching sailing on youtube and it looks like a slow taxi ride with heavy drinking.

Not so much worried about smell, more ignition, bilge fans ect.

Boat looks awesome btw. Iv started watching sailing on youtube and it looks like a slow taxi ride with heavy drinking.

here's a thread discussing the atomic 4 being dangerous. It makes good points. Most power boats whether inboards or outboards run on gasoline, you don't hear about those going boom all the time. https://www.sailnet.com/threads/atom...-danger.95753/

For some eye candy, (nice tatas and blonde, but she kinda annoys me) there's a youtube channel called sailing miss lone star. The chick bought a boat like mine a Cal 29, for a dollar I think, and fixed it all up nice and took it island hopping all up and down the east coast, might have even crossed the atlantic with it, I only sporadically kept up with it. I think she got rid of the Cal 29 and upgraded to a bigger boat now.
https://youtu.be/Zc7Sm0EzaAk

Reactions: DMG
Yeah, I don't really understand all the hate on gasoline. As long as you run a bilge fan and have a leak-free fuel system you're fine. Risk is way overstated IMO.

Great project! Love reading it.

I/O boats you have to run the blower before starting for the same reason. Happens pretty often. Not something to be scared of.

Reactions: DMG
Yeah, I don't really understand all the hate on gasoline. As long as you run a bilge fan and have a leak-free fuel system you're fine. Risk is way overstated IMO.

Great project! Love reading it.

No hate. Don't know boats and was just curious about it. Asking questions, ideas, learning ect.

No hate. Don't know boats and was just curious about it. Asking questions, ideas, learning ect.

I wasn't quoting you on hating on the gas engine - sorry if it looked that way. More for the thread from the Atomic 4 - there were a lot of hand wringers on gas.

The sailing crowd (from the ones I know) are far more nervous about gas fumes than the powerboat crowd is. There shouldn't be all that much difference on an inboard engine ventilation regardless. Diesel is certainly less flammable but I don't think I change out a working gas for a diesel.

Focusing on this part of your comment this time. Sailing isn't for everyone I'm sure. Yes it's a slow way to travel. To me it's a high. I used to be in bands and stuff, and there's this "high" you get form playing music for a crowd and they're feeling the music as well, and there's basically nothing like it. To me sailing is like that. It's a high. Using experience and sails and sheer will to make the wind move you in damn near any direction you want to move, except straight upwind, is like a cool science experiment, conquering nature, etc..I absolutely love sailing. And in the right conditions when you're hauling ass and the boat is leaned over so far you're standing on the side of the bench to keep the tiller against your hip, it's an adrenaline rush.
Jack Sparrow said:
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and sails; that's what a ship needs. Not what a ship is. What the Black Pearl really is, is freedom.

Worked out a deal today for some FREE solar panels for the boat, so that saves me a bit of cash, and lets me move forward with the project. I have the controller for the solar panels that I've yet to buy, but a guy from where I used to work has 7 solar panels that I can pick and choose from for free, so if it all works out right, and they can be mounted to the stern rail of the boat like I intend to do, I'm tackling another project when weather permits. :smokin:

Worked out a deal today for some FREE solar panels for the boat, so that saves me a bit of cash, and lets me move forward with the project. I have the controller for the solar panels that I've yet to buy, but a guy from where I used to work has 7 solar panels that I can pick and choose from for free, so if it all works out right, and they can be mounted to the stern rail of the boat like I intend to do, I'm tackling another project when weather permits. :smokin:

Nice! Spend the money for a MPPT controller IMO.

Nice! Spend the money for a MPPT controller IMO.

I already bought a controller, as prescribed by this blogger on how to DIY with solar panel installations. http://www.captaincurran.com/2014/10/diy-how-to-install-solar-panels-on-boat.html

solar-controller-small.jpg

Well if it burns to the ground you should be close enough to water for it not to be a problem for long. :flipoff2:

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-much-solar-do-i-need-on-my-rv/
In case you want to nerd out and get a bunch of information to calculate how much power you can crank out of those panels and how many batteries you'll want.
Just make sure your solar panels don't cook your batteries when you're not on the boat. Solar still works when you're not sailing and it's all connected.

Last edited:
That's old school pwm. Will work fine, but not as efficient

For my needs, basically running LED lights inside and all at night or whatever, it should be fine. Shore power will handle all the heavy lifting. I'll have to write up my end goal wiring ideas so people better with electricity than I am can chime in.

For my needs, basically running LED lights inside and all at night or whatever, it should be fine. Shore power will handle all the heavy lifting. I'll have to write up my end goal wiring ideas so people better with electricity than I am can chime in.

Yes will probably be fine. Just inefficient :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Use good wire. Tinned. That's all else I have to add:laughing:

Yes will probably be fine. Just inefficient :flipoff2:​​​​​​

Use good wire. Tinned. That's all else I have to add:laughing:

Yes. I've bought a book about wiring boats to code. Every wire will be properly sized, tinned, fastened every so often, and most important, labeled so I know where the hell the wires go.

Which crimper are you using? Just curious...

I'll have to check next time I'm on the boat. a buddy gave it to me for Christmas to help rewire the boat. It's got 3 or 4 sets of jaws for depending on what you're crimping.

Yes. I've bought a book about wiring boats to code. Every wire will be properly sized, tinned, fastened every so often, and most important, labeled so I know where the hell the wires go.

If you want to go all out..... Heat shrink label maker. I've always wanted one :flipoff2:

You've got my attention. I'm jealous. We spent a week in BVI last year on a cat, time of my life, could have spent another week but my liver couldn't take it. The good spots there at night were mooring balls only. The dinghy got a workout. Just one more thing for you to consider. Keep us updated!

You've got my attention. I'm jealous. We spent a week in BVI last year on a cat, time of my life, could have spent another week but my liver couldn't take it. The good spots there at night were mooring balls only. The dinghy got a workout. Just one more thing for you to consider. Keep us updated!

When I get her finished I intend to live on her at least part time. 247.50 per month for power, water, sewer, internet, etc..hard to beat. I'll still have my house a few blocks away, but it opens up opportunities as well, like sail the boat one weekend out to Morehead City or something and dock it there, then I'm right at the inlet and can use the boat as a weekend place to stay, and go out in the big water in an hour's time, not a half a day trip or whatever.

Fuck yeah man, didn't know you'd made a thread! Definitely following, what an adventure.

Top Back Refresh