What's new

CAL 31 sailboat thread "Mystic", formerly CAL 29 sailboat build/refit "Traveller"

Well the sailboat adventure is coming to an end. The boat is 50 years old, suffered storm damage, and it's compromising deck integrity, etc.. It can be fixed, but only by throwing thousands of dollars after a $2800 boat. I've worked out a deal that I hope all swings the right way logistically and money wise. The sailboat is getting scrapped and I'm taking all my new electronics and all back off it, to be put on the new Traveller :dustin:
26 foot Silverton flybridge with a 318 Chrysler inboard in it. Shorter boat but more cabin space, despite less sleeping space, basically move in ready, the projects it needs don't stop me from turning a key and hauling ass to the beach in 1/4 of the time of sailing there.
200946112_186961916568869_1602373357191890673_n.jpg

Walk through of one that has all the canvas canopies, otherwise this one is damn close to that nice.

Can you post a smaller pic?:homer:

Edit: Do'h, beat me to it by a couple seconds.

Can you post a smaller pic?:homer:

Edit: Do'h, beat me to it by a couple seconds.
I tried twice, but loaded small both times, but that was an image copied from facebook messenger, i'll try this one

Attachments

• 20210614_161847.jpg
    20210614_161847.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
Dude! Good score on the new boat if you can get it!! :smokin:
The seller kinda got a little flaky and evasive about it, and the red flags there made me rethink the whole idea. Paying to store a boat on the water, 250 per month year round, for a boat that I wouldn't use in winter, and in summer with my motorcycle hobby, life, mowing grass, etc.. even in summer I'd probably only use it 3 or 4 times per month, so decided screw that. Out of the boat game. Thinking hard about buying a first gen Toyota 4runner that's already built for wheeling. I'm in a wheeling forum, might as well get back into wheeling :smokin:

Hemorrhoid is the more grammatically correct way to spell it. But Hemroid also a common slang spelling that is commonly found in print or over the net.

Don't you have some bedliner you need to sniff ? :bounce:

Hemorrhoid is the more grammatically correct way to spell it. But Hemroid also a common slang spelling that is commonly found in print or over the net.

Don't you have some bedliner you need to sniff ? :bounce:
That's how deaf people and :mr-t: might spell it, but the rest of us spell it hemorrhoid :flipoff2:

I should probably make a new thread, but not much building to be done on the next boat..and no week long adventure to get it home. If bought next Saturday morning, I'll be home by dark. But basically, unless when I visit the boat it just doesn't "feel right', then it's gonna be the next one. It's turn key. new sails, rigging, AC inside, decks redone, etc.. all the expensive stuff for a boat this age, to make it last another 20 years, has been done. I can buy and live on it same weekend. :smokin::grinpimp:

I should probably make a new thread, but not much building to be done on the next boat..and no week long adventure to get it home. If bought next Saturday morning, I'll be home by dark. But basically, unless when I visit the boat it just doesn't "feel right', then it's gonna be the next one. It's turn key. new sails, rigging, AC inside, decks redone, etc.. all the expensive stuff for a boat this age, to make it last another 20 years, has been done. I can buy and live on it same weekend. :smokin::grinpimp:
Did you buy it?

I think it's a done deal..fate kinda. I'd found this boat by accident, the ad wasn't supposed to be listed, because it was expired, and depending on browser you look for it in, it might not show up. It's everything I wanted Traveller to become, but already done. Turn key, and only about a 4 hour sail from home. Any boat i bought, since I scrapped Traveller, I intended to rename to Traveller as well, but after hearing the story of the boat, and learning her name, a song came to mind, and can't bring myself to rename her. Mystic

IMG_0158.jpg
November2014273.jpg
November2014271.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

Well, it's a done deal :smokin:
Insurance is lined up as of today, not just liability like i had on the last one, but full coverage, if a storm damages this one, my ass is covered. Boat slip is lined up, as well as membership at a yacht/golf and country club. Those who know me in here will find that comical as shit that I'm a member of a country club lol..I'll fit in about like Bill Murray in Caddyshack :lmao:
March 11th I meet former owner at my bank, hand him cashier's check, sign and notarize coast guard documentation to pass the boat to me, and then we leave our trucks at the yacht club, catch a ride to the boat, and spend a 3 to 6 hour trip doing a "getting to know her" crash course sailing lesson for this particular boat, etc..and then dock her at final location. I can't wait. It's been like waiting for Christmas :grinpimp:

Cal 31. Nice rig.

Did thousands of miles on a Cal 39 out of Hampton back in the day. Raced all over the bay, Bermuda twice, Newport a couple times. Tough rigs. Should be a perkins diesel that's pretty simple. We did actually blow one up somehow, sailed all summer with no motor, sailing her in backwards was fun.

Be sure to check the tension on the steering cables, if they are too loose, they can fall off the steering quadrant on the rudder and make for an interesting time.

Sounds like you could use some basic sailing lessons. If you are joining a yacht club, see if you can take one of their dinghys out and figure out how to make it go.

While reading your delivery story I was almost yelling "tie off the fucking tiller" at the computer.

Sailing is a drug, glad to see new people getting hooked

Feel free to reach out if you have any boat questions.

Cal 31. Nice rig.

Did thousands of miles on a Cal 39 out of Hampton back in the day. Raced all over the bay, Bermuda twice, Newport a couple times. Tough rigs. Should be a perkins diesel that's pretty simple. We did actually blow one up somehow, sailed all summer with no motor, sailing her in backwards was fun.

Be sure to check the tension on the steering cables, if they are too loose, they can fall off the steering quadrant on the rudder and make for an interesting time.

Sounds like you could use some basic sailing lessons. If you are joining a yacht club, see if you can take one of their dinghys out and figure out how to make it go.

While reading your delivery story I was almost yelling "tie off the fucking tiller" at the computer.

Sailing is a drug, glad to see new people getting hooked
I know how to sail, well, basic sailing anyway. Sailed my last one some, but spent most time working on it honestly. it was a pain in the ass to sail though, wasn't rigged for single handed. The one I learned to sail on is more like this one, basically once you leave the dock, with all sail covers and all ready and removed, etc.. point into the wind, raise the sails from cockpit, and good to go. But yes, I will probably at some point ask questions lol. For starters, is there like "the IBB of sailing forums"? Cruisers forum is alright, but it's not like IBB by any stretch, and to a point I understand that. Wheelers and cruisers are both independent minded type people, but they are far more serious over there, and much more prone to tell you to pay the money to get it fixed than to go into build threads and show how to fix something.

If you havent already come across sailing anarchy forums you may find what youre looking for there.

Best of luck with the new boat. Looking forward to the updates.

If you havent already come across sailing anarchy forums you may find what youre looking for there.

Best of luck with the new boat. Looking forward to the updates.
I know a guy who grew up around sailing and is really fuckin into sailing and that's where he does or did hang out. IDK if it's still a thing or if it's dead. I never looked into it.

I know how to sail, well, basic sailing anyway. Sailed my last one some, but spent most time working on it honestly. it was a pain in the ass to sail though, wasn't rigged for single handed. The one I learned to sail on is more like this one, basically once you leave the dock, with all sail covers and all ready and removed, etc.. point into the wind, raise the sails from cockpit, and good to go. But yes, I will probably at some point ask questions lol. For starters, is there like "the IBB of sailing forums"? Cruisers forum is alright, but it's not like IBB by any stretch, and to a point I understand that. Wheelers and cruisers are both independent minded type people, but they are far more serious over there, and much more prone to tell you to pay the money to get it fixed than to go into build threads and show how to fix something.
Yep, SA. The owner is a raging liberal and couldn't contain himself during the Trump years so I kinda stopped visiting unless we had an event coming up. Tons of good info over there though. They used to do a lot more event based stuff and reporting, nothing now.

She's mine! and she's home! Took 8 hours because there was NO wind for most of the trip, motor only, but for a couple hours we did raise sails and motor sail her some to gained a half mile per hour. The trip drug on til dark, dodging crab pots like hell because new to me channel, I'm sure in better daylight the "right way" in would have been plainly visible, but in the dark was relying on depth gauge and navigation program to monitor more water depth than anything, because no clear marked channel, just the main channel, and then Blount creek entry markers, the gap between was left to my imagination as to the best way to get there. started raining right at the end to, so no moonlight, etc..relying totally on the navigation and creeping slow because couldn't see shit lol. But she's home and tied off well enough to survive the night. So stoked! :smokin:

Top Back Refresh