What's new

Cab Enclosure with Aftermarket cage

Wades_76_cj7

RZR guy, NO I am not gay..
Member Number
Loc
KC MO
With the Moab trip this fall, wife said she won't go unless I add heat and a better cab enclosure. Since I like having the wife with me and being warm as well I agreed.

I have a soft cab enclosure that I had a local boat cover guy make for me a few years ago but being a boat cover guy he didn't exactly get it really close fitting to any of the stuff mounted to the cage, (mirrors, retractors for the harnesses, and the holes to reach the door latches are huge). Needless to say it's better than nothing and keeps 70% of the wind and rain off of you but it is pretty damn drafty and the wife hates it. It is also of the style that I have to unzip the windows to open the doors. Like I said better than nothing but leaves a lot to be desired.

I have a poly windshield already so adding a better windshield is lower priority for now. I have the Click 6 harnesses so my thinking was using clear poly sheeting from HD or Lowes. Split it where the belts pass thru and use 1.75" cable clamps to clamp around the cage and bolt the sheet to seal up the back.

For the sides I was thinking using the cable clamps again to mount a panel in front of the door from A pillar back to the edge of the dash. Use the door striker plate bolts, sandwich in behind them, run vertical up to the roof and use another poly sheet to enclose it. Kind of thinking something similar for the area behind the door hinge. Run a bar/rod vertical from the panel behind the door hinge up to the roof and make that solid mounted. I'll use hard poly sheeting so I can still see thru it. For the upper doors, I was planning to build a frame from 1/2" solid rod, 1/2" solid is cheaper than 1/2" HREW tubing for some reason :confused:. It would be mounted to the door and close and seal against the "A" pillar panel and roofline. I am not sure how to make it seal against the rearward panel behind the door though. I will try to use the current upper soft doors and modify them to fit the frames.

Any suggestions for what I am trying? I know buggy/Jeep guys with full custom cages have had to been down this road as well. So I am open to suggestions here.

With a heater like I have talked about in the other thread I think that I should be able to ride in a hoodie in the winter. :grinpimp:

Edit: I think I will use 1" .065 HREW for the frame. I think the 1" tubing will be more rigid and hopefully the tops of the doors won't be pulled outward at speed like soft uppers on my Jeep 15 years ago..

I don't know what aftermarket goodies are available for the Polaris rigs, but on my YXZ I bought a set of side curtains from Yamaha. They fit nice, zip closed, and seal decently around the roof.
I ended up building a back window frame with lexan and windshield frame with laminate glass and a wiper to seal the front and rear.

Sounds like you need a, not a SxS, like a jeep or zuk:flipoff2:

I'm not following all your rambling since it's Friday :beer:, but fwiw, I know a guy who enclosed his buggy with lexan. For the side windows, he hinged them at the roof. Was a simple idea, but not the way most would think to do it. Was also nice to be able to flip them up out of the way.

Other than that, you're fighting an up hill battle sealing up any sport type sxs. The more utility ones seem a little easier.

I have seen someone who made top hinged uppers and while it seemed to work I want to be able to roll down the soft window to get some air when it warms up mid day.

I have seen someone who made top hinged uppers and while it seemed to work I want to be able to roll down the soft window to get some air when it warms up mid day.

Like I said, he would just flip them up and let them lay on the roof. Not perfect, but there's a compromise somewhere.

heater came in last week. good thing too it's been 90+ all week. lol

I am so looking forward to this trip. I miss the red rock. it's been over a year since we have been to Moab. Been going yearly for the last 5 years and decided to go someplace new this year and went to TN.

Top Back Refresh