What's new

C6 'required' upgrades?

reptillikus

ate lug
Member Number
Loc
Reading PA
Looking for input from those who have already had their hands in the C6 transmission. Ive got mine out on the shop floor right now, but theres nothing wrong with it. The 460 is apart getting ready to go out for a rebuild next week, so i figure i should do some upgrades to the C6 while its out.

Looking at the TransGo shift kit:

I dont know which modulator ive got, but ive read that the black stripe is the way to go?
How important is the servo upgrade? Im not building some monster engine, most likely itll just be .030 over and a cam, so im assuming the stock servo will be fine?

I need a new trans pan as mine is a bit mangled from hitting it a few times, is there someone out there that makes a thicker one? The stock one is pretty thin. Prob get a lube locker gasket to go with it.

Thoughts on torque converter? This is something i want to replace now while its out, but i have no idea what to put in. Stock reman? Like i said, im not building some crazy HP motor.

I haven't had the hands on but I was considering swapping to one for a while, the one thing on my must do list was the Broader reverse pattern valve body with compression braking in first

If this was a dedicated crawler id prob go reverse pattern with a floor shifter, but my wife drives it too and she does better with a standard shift on the column.

I like the idea of the wide ratio gearset as well, but i dont want to break it down all the way to do that, at that point i might as well just do a full rebuild. Of course then you go full roller, add bigger drums, etc, etc, and at that point im probably just buying a fully built trans from Broader. But the C6 is a pretty decent trans in stock form, im figuring a good converter and a shiftkit and im done, unless theres some other mod that i should absolutely do, that im not aware of.

There aren't really any inherent issues with them, it comes down to what you want it to do that it doesn't now. If you want firmer shifts, that transgo kit is fine. The black stripe modulator is for those wanting later shifts or if you've got an engine that pulls a bunch of vacuum (stock camshaft). R code servo helps with holding in second but probably not something I'd spend the money on for a stockish engine. Converter depends on your engine, gearing/tires and what you're doing with the rig and is something you should discuss with whoever you're looking to buy a converter from. I do see broader makes an HD 12" converter that may be worth looking into.

This is the cam im looking at:

Truck already has 5.13s & 42s, so nothing really changing here other than the motor getting freshened up.

The trans seemed to work just fine and ran cool, i just didnt like the mushy shifts as compared to the built E4OD in my F250. I know those have all sorts of necessary updates & upgrades but in my searching it seems like there really isnt much i need to do to the C6. I can always swap the modulator & servo down the road, so maybe ill just do the shift kit and call it good.

I was leaning towards changing the converter just in case, since its probably the original one from the donor truck ('89 F350) and its been in mine for the last 9 years so it hasnt had an easy life. Maybe ill give Broader a call during the week and see what they say.

Read the skipped link thread :smokin:
I have, its a work of art :smokin:

What is the c6 out of? 351M, 400 or a 460?
The forward and direct clutch drums can come with 3, 4 or 5 clutches in them. For a BB torque 5 is desired in both. What does your trans have?

For converter one step up from stock stall speed would help get 42 rolling, 2100-2200 ish

I have a shift kit in my C6 and shifts are still lazy at light and medium throttle, compared to others I have had.

Both the motor & trans came out of a 88 F350, so its a stock 88 C6. I dont know what size drums are in it, i havent so much as even pulled the converter out of the bellhousing yet, thatll come later this week.

What shift kit did you use?

That seems to be the go-to kit that everyone recommends, i guess ill just have to set it up as stiff as itll go, and then tweak the modulator from there if im not happy.

I dropped the engine off at the machine shop this morning, so i guess once i know for sure what we're doing with that, then ill look into a converter. I should probably know where its gonna make all its power before i go and buy that anyway :emb:

I ran a C6 in my crawler behind a 400m for a few years. I put that same shift kit in as well as a nice trans cooler. Everything else was stock (I believe it initially came out of a late 70s bronco). I barely drove it on the road, but it shifted great and outlasted 3 different engines. For a $150 junk-yard tranny I was very happy.

Top Back Refresh