What's new

C223 to Toyota W series trans.

IowaOffRoad

King shit of turd island
BRC
Member Number
Loc
Under the apple tree
I know this has been done. I missed checking out one for sale an hour south of me due to work. Anyone else done this? What clutch/flywheel options facilitate this. I know I'm in adapter territory, but have the ability to manufacture that. Would like to use off the shelf flywheel/pressure plate/disk even if it's a bastard setup.

I dont know. Its on my long list of future projects. I have a w123 or whatever its called from a Toyota. Ive been trying to just buy a 2wd 5speed behind a c223 for years but the guy wont sell it. I was just going to do divorced toyota case behind it. The way it is now. I just planned on hacking off the front output of my tcase thats attached to my 4speed and soing a divorced case behind it. But od would be nice. Thats really my only reason for even wanting a 5spd.

I have several transmissions in various states of junk. Back when I drove them all the time in my late teens/early 20s I got pretty good at taking several broken ones and piecing a 'good' one together. One of the reasons why I have 5 of these engines and nothing to put them in. Looking to get a stronger trans behind it. With the stock 58hp of the NA C223, it's amazing the ability for the engine to tear these up. I have 2 >100k transmissions that I'm saving. I'd love to sell you one, but I'm afraid that I will never find another. You are about 6.5hrs from me so I doubt it would be worth your time anyway.
I have a 4runner I'd like to put one in with a doubler tcase setup. I know it wouldn't be fast, but it would be dead reliable.

Divorced ends up loooooooong.

Watch the latest episode of dirt every day. They put a r151 and dual cases behind a Mazda engine by splicing the bell housings together. It was a pretty awesome set up, but it seemed like they lucked out a little on the Toyota and Mazda clutch parts being very similar.

I believe I read that the MSG5 trans and case that came behind the c223t had a removable front output on the tcase. Which might make a divorced 2nd case a little easier. Either way, the t100 nissan/datsun case that came in the mid-80s maybe early 90s nissan pickups is divorced, although offset rear output, BUT it wouldn't end up nearly as long as a divorced toyota case. It can be mounted pass or driver drop, depending on what you want to do.

The input flange is like halfway down the case, so even with a short jackshaft, the whole setup doesn't end up killing your rear driveshaft length too bad.

Attachments

• 33100-80W00-2.jpg
    33100-80W00-2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 60
I believe I read that the MSG5 trans and case that came behind the c223t had a removable front output on the tcase. Which might make a divorced 2nd case a little easier. Either way, the t100 nissan/datsun case that came in the mid-80s maybe early 90s nissan pickups is divorced, although offset rear output, BUT it wouldn't end up nearly as long as a divorced toyota case. It can be mounted pass or driver drop, depending on what you want to do.

The input flange is like halfway down the case, so even with a short jackshaft, the whole setup doesn't end up killing your rear driveshaft length too bad.
But is there any low range gear options for a Nissan Case. I almost pulled one out of a truck my friend was scrapping but didnt feel like laying in the mud.

I think a Suzuki Samurai case could be am option too. Though offset also

But is there any low range gear options for a Nissan Case. I almost pulled one out of a truck my friend was scrapping but didnt feel like laying in the mud.

I think a Suzuki Samurai case could be am option too. Though offset also
No, but if you put it behind a 4wd MSG5 with the stock tcase, you'd be at 1.87 x 2.09, so 3.9:1 which ain't too shabby.

If this is going in something lightweight, I'd say the sami case would work well, although the high range reduction isn't exactly going to help with the low redline of the little diesel. As long as you didn't need to go fast, it would be a great option.

I'm wanting to adapt it to the Toyota trans as I want to stab one in a 4runner and run doubled cases. I know you can build a divorced Toyota t-case, but I'd like to keep it married. I would like to find a larger flywheel that bolts on if possible to use Toyota clutch.

I'm wanting to adapt it to the Toyota trans as I want to stab one in a 4runner and run doubled cases. I know you can build a divorced Toyota t-case, but I'd like to keep it married. I would like to find a larger flywheel that bolts on if possible to use Toyota clutch.
Does anyone even make a divorced Toyota adapter?

Well, I thought they did. I just did some internet searching and it appears the company that made them is no longer in business. I did run across some DIY conversions. Suzuki page on Pirate from 19 years ago. Didn't want to go that route due to length.

OTT made them back in the day. I had one for a time, but sold it about 5 years ago when I decided against using a 21 spline case in a heavier rig.

To update:

I've got a plan to solve a few of my problems. Found a brass bushing that will make up the difference between the Toyota pilot and the Isuzu pilot bearing. Plan to sleave retainer it to the pilot shaft. Got a few from brassbushings.com. Took some measurements, and I believe I can machine the step off the C223 flywheel to make it flat, then center it in the mill, then drill/tap the Toyota pressure plate pattern to the C223 flywheel. I 'believe' from all my research that the C223 is neutral balanced. Once I have the pressure plate fitted to the flywheel, my plan was to send it out to have the balance checked. As the Toyota trans has the input shaft inset in the bellhousing, and the Isuzu trans has the input shaft slightly proud of the bellhousing, my hope is I can machine a flat adapter plate to install on the back of the C223 of the proper thickness to adjust the depth of engagement of the input shaft into the clutch/pilot bearing and bolt the toyota bell to the isuzu engine. Might have to notch the bell for starter clearance as the starter bump is on the opposite side compared to Isuzu.

Thoughts?

I would just build it like toy tdi adapters.

Plate for bellhousing adapter. Equal width flywheel adapter. Use toyota flywheel, clutch kit, starter, etc.

If you are unfamiliar with the C223, there is an oil cooler/filter right where the Toyota starter needs to go. Moving all that stuff seems harder than what I'm up to. Also the Toyota flywheel is about 11# lighter than the diesel flywheel, even machining off the step is not going to reduce the weight more than 1-1.5#. I'd like to keep as much mass as possible. The distance from the back of the block to the flywheel face is enough difference between the Toyota and the Isuzu using equal thickness flywheel adapter/bell adapter may not work. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll certainly consider some of it.

Top Back Refresh