What's new

Bump stop can mounting

RunningProblem

Red Skull Member
Member Number
What thickness material should I use to make a bracket for some bump stop cans? I need to have the cans move out and down so they can contact a bump pad I’ll make later. I don’t know if 1/8” or 3/16” plate is what I need. My idea is to make a 3 sided, maybe 4, bracket to lower the can and weld it to the stiffeners on my Jeep. The cans are about 1/8” thick which is why I’m thinking. 1/8l plate would be enough.

I used both 1/8 and 3/16 with my air bump mounting brackets and neither one has ripped off. Like anything design of the brisket itself matters more than the material used.

I don’t know how to design stuff. I know it needs more triangulation and actually found a thread about it on pirate. 1/8 and 3/16 seemed common and the bracket im thinking of making has ben made, in variations, many times apparently.

Bump can mount thread.

I'm all about buying premade stuff and modifying it to fit, so maybe going that route would be better for you.

Last edited:
What thickness material should I use to make a bracket for some bump stop cans? I need to have the cans move out and down so they can contact a bump pad I’ll make later. I don’t know if 1/8” or 3/16” plate is what I need. My idea is to make a 3 sided, maybe 4, bracket to lower the can and weld it to the stiffeners on my Jeep. The cans are about 1/8” thick which is why I’m thinking. 1/8l plate would be enough.

got a picture what you are dealing with?

IMO if you're moving the bracket out and down 1/8, won't be enough. You'll be moving the leverage point, and the bump will put more force into it. I would go with 3/16. What's it going to hurt? Are you worried about weight? 2 mounts will hardly be enough to notice.

IMO if you're moving the bracket out and down 1/8, won't be enough. You'll be moving the leverage point, and the bump will put more force into it. I would go with 3/16. What's it going to hurt? Are you worried about weight? 2 mounts will hardly be enough to notice.
There is a photo in my build thread. I used 3/16” plate. L bracket with a 45 welded rod the frame, and bump can.

Top Back Refresh