What's new

Building power with the Jeep 4.0

Similar but not one of his...

550h_0655-EditTRP-C.jpg

Yeahhhh that is badass! And the slant configuration looks like it would be pretty handy too. I4s are better balanced than a V4 would be too haha. My only thing though is as far as packaging goes, it's just another I4. Not that it's an issue, but the packaging of a V4 really gets the gears churning for me. Like imagine the use in a flatfender build - Push the entire powertrain forward in the chassis around 9" so the fan clearance to radiator stays the same, but transmission and transfer case move forward. That's 9" more rear driveshaft length you have, and tons of extra room that you could push the firewall forward to actually be able to lower the seat and stretch your legs out

I see what your saying in that regard.

The left hand slant is definitely a benefit in circle track racing but as far as midget engines go the flat 4 Porsche engine they make from a 6er is the ultimate. The entire engine is only 10" taller than the bottom of the chassis! The center of gravity on those cars is ridiculously low. :smokin:

Edit: It's crazy how close those bolt holes match up, almost like it was meant to be.

Yeahhhh that is badass! And the slant configuration looks like it would be pretty handy too. I4s are better balanced than a V4 would be too haha. My only thing though is as far as packaging goes, it's just another I4. Not that it's an issue, but the packaging of a V4 really gets the gears churning for me. Like imagine the use in a flatfender build - Push the entire powertrain forward in the chassis around 9" so the fan clearance to radiator stays the same, but transmission and transfer case move forward. That's 9" more rear driveshaft length you have, and tons of extra room that you could push the firewall forward to actually be able to lower the seat and stretch your legs out

I agree with all of this.

For all practical purposes, a V6 is probably the best way to get close.

Anyway, sorry for the derail. You done yet? :flipoff2:

A flat 4 would be awesome. Even Subi stuff would be pretty intriguing, just strange to package compared to the norm.

I don't (edit, oops I meant do) agree on a V6 being the best rational choice, but we're here building ridiculous stuff because we're irrational people :lmao:

bdkw1, that Motus engine is sweet, but it's downsized a good amount to 1.65 liter.

https://americanv4.com/images/v4-specs.pdf

I'd probably go the other direction, and build the V4 off 6.2 or 7.0 parts haha. 3.5 liter 4 cylinder? Hell yes, torque monster that will probably shake your fillings out. Game on :laughing:

Last edited:
A flat 4 would be awesome. Even Subi stuff would be pretty intriguing, just strange to package compared to the norm.

I don't agree on a V6 being the best rational choice, but we're here building ridiculous stuff because we're irrational people :lmao:

bdkw1, that Motus engine is sweet, but it's downsized a good amount to 1.65 liter.

https://americanv4.com/images/v4-specs.pdf

I'd probably go the other direction, and build the V4 off 6.2 or 7.0 parts haha. 3.5 liter 4 cylinder? Hell yes, torque monster that will probably shake your fillings out. Game on :laughing:
When the 7200 class first popped up in SCORE, we tossed around the idea of a billet block 60* V6 based off a tall deck BBC. Looked good on paper.

Point of order.

SBC/LS/LT bore spacing is 4.4"
Small block ford is 4.38"
L83 bore diameter is 3.78"

Source: L83/L8B 5.3L EcoTec3 Engine Specs: Performance, Bore & Stroke, Cylinder Heads, Cam Specs & More - OnAllCylinders
Oops, solid corrections! I accidentally swapped the 4.0 and LS/LT numbers on the bore spacing when typing them out. Corrected now, and interesting on the SBF bore spacing as well. Corrected the bore diameter of the L83 too, that was just a swing and a miss on my part going off memory haha.

OnAllCylinders has been an excellent reference, I wasn't familiar with it before diving down this rabbit hole

Koenigsegg with their freevalve tech, now that is seriously a whole new level of innovation. Infinitely adjustable valve timing and duration on the fly, depending on what the engine is asking for. Can't wait to see that tech start trickling down

This guy is putting it onto HF engines, he has a couple other projects with it to, but its very cool to see.

Im very excited to see what you come up with as well as products you might design for the 4.0. Alternator relocation brackets, AC delete pullys and PS pump retrofits would all be amazing.

Moving the PS pump down low and getting the alt up high has been on my list of wants for awhile.

Moving the PS pump down low and getting the alt up high has been on my list of wants for awhile.
I haven't decided exactly how I'm going to configure the accessories yet, but that is definitely one of the possible outcomes. The first option is just lowering the AC compressor as much as possible while leaving everything else alone which would be very convenient. But if I can't get away with that, the PS pump is dropping down near the oil pan, the alternator is going on the drivers side above the PS pump, and the AC compressor gets free reign on the pass side to end up wherever it needs :smokin:

AgitatedPancake

I just saw this same concept on YouTube with the guy using a Ford 300 I6, spliced LS head and a turbo.

Have you watched any of his videos yet?
Guys have done LS heads on ford 300s a few times over the years, seeing some of those definitely played a part in going down this rabbit hole hehe. I think I know what you're talking about with a guy doing one right now though, and it's looking super interesting as well!

No big updates for the last couple weeks, I was out of town for a bit and came home sick so I've been in recovery mode. The stuff coming up is where it should start to get exciting though. Cutting the heads, sourcing the cam core(s), and getting the stroker parts on the way. Still going to be a slow build though, little bits at a time

For a cool $40k you can already build one yourself. I'd be down to weld some blocks together for less than that though :grinpimp:

V12LS

V16 makes me think of the engine in the Devel Sixteen, that thing is wild haha
I remember when he started that thread on Ls1tech.com
He also took the cut offs and turned them into V4's.

I remember when he started that thread on Ls1tech.com
He also took the cut offs and turned them into V4's.
I think I saw that thread, it would be sweet to do similar. I’m actually welding the two off cuts together is my test to build confidence in how I want to approach the welding hehe. Trying to do it clean enough that they could theoretically be used on a v4 just in case

FD0C78A2-4536-4BA1-9DA2-7D3D75FE6C9D.jpeg

What about just close off the end you cut off and add a cross over pipe for coolant flow? Keep it 2-piece
At least the idea behind my current train of thought, is this is the exact same join that I'll be doing on the real head so it's solid practice. Realistically these are just scraps so no harm if I butcher them. Buuuut, if it ends up good enough, I may keep them around just in case haha.

As grendel noted, with some chopping, you can turn two LS V8s into a V12 + a V4. That would be pretty a pretty fun future project

That’s definitely the objective here, everything about the port design here is way superior than anything from the 4.0 world. Furnace brazing seems to be a lost art from what I’ve seen unfortunately. That’s a technique I’d love to learn some day.

Gotta love cutting up some brand new valve covers hah. They came out nice though, some quick welding and they should be good to go

98541C79-6DFE-4BFB-BE20-B0C39269A52F.jpeg
910C6814-B616-4BB8-BF32-0D5DD5247F34.jpeg

That V twin setup is rad. Really makes you think about what can be done. That thing could safely push 100-150 HP with incredible packaging haha.

I just got really damn lucky, scored a dirt cheap 4.2 locally that should be the right year range for a 12 counterweight crank but I wasn't sure. Just got it home and immediately popped the pan, yep it is. Score. Pan has some sludge, but no metal so I'm thinking the crank should clean up nicely for the stroker build. I've been trying to decide on what rod and pistons to run, getting it narrowed down but not finalized yet.

296850981_731885187885250_4003102914553633339_n.jpg

Figure out the piston and rod combo fast and get an order in. If they are going to be custom, and I'm thinking they will be, you will probably be looking at a 10-15 week wait. Custom performance engine parts have been very hard to get without a long wait the last year or so.

Top Back Refresh