What's new

Building power with the Jeep 4.0

Look at a modern "small block" LS based motor thats capable of making 3k horsepower all day with boost, is several hundred pounds lighter and is much easier to package than a big block and you will understand why you thinking is all wrong.

I thought about heading off that dumb nitpick. I guess I should have. :shaking:

I get the packaging issue and I'm a big fan of "just turbo the fucking thing". But big blocks aren't that much bigger and needing to put the big honkin turbos somewhere without absurd routing of intake/exhaust creates most of the same problems.

If you're putting 600+ horsepower in you're going to be doing a bunch of drive-train shit too and it's not a "I don't want to hammer the fire on my numbers matching original whatever" situation anyway so you're really not losing much by starting with the bigger engine.

If an I6 was a better platform to make power there would already be aftermarket blocks like the big hp 4cyl crowd has access to.
I didn't say the I6 was better. I just said that smallblock stroker bullshit is dumb. If you're gonna spend all that money to build something that can't breathe just to turbo it because it can't breathe you should have just turbo'd the slightly smaller engine begin with or dropped in a bigger one.

I also think you vastly under-estimate the sheer inertia of the hordes of "muh chebby vee ate" dumbasses and how much catering to them (because easy money) saps potential aftermarket R&D that could otherwise have been applied more productively to other platforms. Even if the next generation of GM V8s is straight garbage it will be well supported because inertia.

Nobody has really been trying hard to build domestic stuff other than V8s until recently when the generations who cut their teeth on EFI shit and aren't irrationally scared of it got rich enough to have project cars and started slapping turbos and boost onto random engines.

Packaging and weight are the only reasons I can come up with.
I can understand that on cheaper more mild builds. Once you start talking stroker cranks I think you're probably at a point where that's out the window.

And yes, the SBC sucks in a lot of ways but I consider wet manifold to be a really minor inconvenience.

I can understand that on cheaper more mild builds. Once you start talking stroker cranks I think you're probably at a point where that's out the window.
You forgot to talk about weight.
BBC is a lot heavier

And yes, the SBC sucks in a lot of ways but I consider wet manifold to be a really minor inconvenience.
I don't. It's a mega fucking pain to clean and seal that MOFO.

You forgot to talk about weight.
BBC is a lot heavier
It is but when you start talking power to the point where minor tuning changes result in horsepower changes in the high double digits I don't think that amount of weight is going to make a practical (inb4 the usual fucktards show up, note I specifically did not use the word "measurable" difference once installed in the chassis and if you really are chasing that then there's aluminum blocks and whatnot.

I don't. It's a mega fucking pain to clean and seal that MOFO.
You're lazy.

Dare I say it's genetic in your case. :flipoff2:

It is but when you start talking power to the point where minor tuning changes result in horsepower changes in the high double digits I don't think that amount of weight is going to make a practical (inb4 the usual fucktards show up, note I specifically did not use the word "measurable" difference once installed in the chassis and if you really are chasing that then there's aluminum blocks and whatnot.
I'm talking chassis dynamics. Not power to weight.

You're lazy.

Dare I say it's genetic in your case. :flipoff2:
I am.
No doubt.

My life is better spent doing something else than scrapping gasket maker.

I'm talking chassis dynamics. Not power to weight.
:shaking:

Same difference. If you're gonna be caring to the point where ~100lb fairly low in the engine bay is a serious issue that you can't solve by moving it back then you're into the kind of expensive weight optimization territory that where an aluminum block is the answer. Also the big block doesn't actually weigh that much more once it's dressed in aluminum top end shit.

Regardless, you're missing the point. Smallblock stroker shit is a dumb expensive middle ground that covers situations that can be better and more cheaply covered by a more thoughtfully put together smaller displacement smallblock or a slightly less built to within an inch of it's life big block.

My life is better spent doing something else than scrapping gasket maker.

Nylon cup brush makes quick work of that shit.

I should I kept my mouth shut.
I forgot once again.

:shaking:

Top Back Refresh