What's new

Building an AR in 2023

OT, for a first timer, I say buy a M&P or other such fully built rifle. If you want to trick it out, you can substitute parts or build a whole new piece. Some parts are still reasonable, some are not. I just got a YHM gas block for $13 and a mid-length tube for $12 with a pin, so I could change a carbine into a mid length. Barrels are more expensive as are lowers, plastics a bit more but not bad.

Been noted, what do you want and what is it going to do.
Bear Creek has completes for $490 at the moment. I have their complete upper on my 450. Not going to be a high round count gun and I've only had it one season and two deer. Had a failure to eject after both, but I think I need to tune buffer spring and weight I put in.
I picked up a .223 Wylde complete for $349 from Bear Creek last year. For that kinda scratch you can shoot and change what you don't like or just want to improve along the way and still keep it reasonable.

Yep. Got my upper when they were cheap. They had the $349 deal not too long ago again.

Anyone who says the kp15 is junk obviously has not held one. Haha. Whatever old timers.

Anyone who says the kp15 is junk obviously has not held one. Haha. Whatever old timers.
Exactly. They are so much lighter and just work. I've got a build with one sitting in the sale pile right now and its a good half lb lighter than an equivalent gun. Fudds gonna fudd.

Too bad they tied themselves to that nutcase Karl for advertising and it backfired.

they are kinda much more sloppy than any recent AR lower
Think mid-80s SENDRA lower, but with a bunch of molding flash trimming

You call them old timers when all but one of your ars look like they came out of a Vietnam war documentary. :laughing:

Some people like different stocks, that one can't be changed but you like it and that's ok. Fag. :flipoff2:

Some people like different stocks, that one can't be changed but you like it and that's ok. Fag. :flipoff2:
I've about given up on collapsing stocks. Slowly moving back to fixed or A2 styles. They either all rattle, are stupid heavy or have dumb sets of features. Plus I don't like my beard hairs being ripped out

80% lower, 80 bucks.
Lower parts kit 85 bucks
Buffer tube with stock, 85 bucks.
300 black out upper 284 buck (from bear creek)
Flip up iron sights from magpul 119bucks
Mag,14.99 for a 30 rd from some gun shops.

I have built 3 like this. 1 5.56, 1 300 black out,and one 450 bushmaster. All since Jan 2023. The bush has a 5 round mag.

I’ve built lots of lowers and ONE upper. If you want to add specific triggers, buffer tubes, buffers, hand rails, and not have spare pets sitting around it makes sen to build it. If you just want to go shoot an AR when you feel like it then buy something off the shelf, or a complete lower and find the upper you like.

PSA has a reputation of being lower quality due to costs. They aren’t known for making 1 inch groups at 100 yards. I’ve not had problems with the uppers I’ve bought from them or the lowers I’ve built. I’m a big fanboy of their stuff, and their ‘sales’ aren’t typically a sale. It’s just the newest holiday they can get people excited for.
Currently they have a complete lower build kit for $90. Add a lower for $60 and you’re at the same price of their complete lowers. Add a pre built upper and you have a quality firearm for $7-800.

Sale prices got me, some parts en route. Let's see how I do vs retail.

Something to consider with the way things appear to be headed…

I started off with some of the “just as good as” PSA stuff, but my mindset over the last couple years has shifted to “what parts do I want for the rest of my life, or a Ukraine scenario.”

That doesn’t mean a bunch of Gucci billet stuff, but every part, pin, spring, etc of my two “go to“ rifles is from Sionics, BCM, Sons of Liberty, or equivalent, and yes I have spare wear parts. In many cases it doesn’t cost a whole lot more.

Microbest or ao phosphate/chrome lined bolts, $80-120 all day. Rebranded by many. Sprinco extractor and ejection springs if you really want to nerd out.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh