What's new

Building a "Site Dumper" for cheap.

ridenby

Member Number
Loc
Kentucky
Looking at site dumpers,they are pricey. Thinking might be able to slap something together a little cheaper. Mostly concerned with the hinge. Thinking 14 bolts, maybe big truck axles.

Use big spherical bearings for the center pivot, and keep as much separation as reasonably possible to reduce loading. Remember it sees both bending and twisting loads.

$1200 forklift.

$800 for a comically huge loader bucket.

$300 for the steel and hydrauliccs to put the bucket where the forks usually go.

What are you trying to accomplish? Those things are like absolute last resort in any type of construction. :laughing:
Would like a small-think single axle dump or smaller- all terrain dump bed. Looking at prices of site dumpers,they are pricey. 4x4 small dump trucks are high too. A Muruka is way out of reach,though exactly what I would like.

Had to look that up, never heard the term site dumper, Morooka is the brand.

Hey Yota, school a non-construction office worker, why are they last resort? Speed, requirement to transport?

Had to look that up, never heard the term site dumper, Morooka is the brand.

Hey Yota, school a non-construction office worker, why are they last resort? Speed, requirement to transport?
I've actually never heard the term site dumper either, had to Google it. :laughing: but kinda had an idea that what he meant.

I've never been around the 4 wheel articulated ones. I loaded the ~20 yard tracked marookas for most of one summer a few years ago. I also used a 1 yard tracked deal on another job :laughing:

The big ones are pretty fuckin cool, especially the ones with a excavator type turn table. You can track along a levee and dump off the side. Or pull into a soft area 180 and dump. But they are super slow. The little one was pretty retarded. We ended up just using a skid steer since it held the same and went about 3 times faster.

As far as the articulated ones. They are probably fine, but just very limited. Usually if you're moving martial a short distance a skid steer or loader is used. If the distance grows, but it's still not a huge amount of materials, little 5 yard dumps are pretty common.

The only time those types of things are really used is when you just need more offroadability than a 5 yard dump truck.

What about just getting some type of 4x4 truck and adding some better tires, lockers and a dump bed?

Right, but what are you actually doing with it? Do you have equipment to load it?
Move creek rock, dirt,assorted stuff. I have a NH LX565 skid steer and a Fiat Allis 8B dozer. A 1973 dodge single axle dump truck , it is better on roads than rough ground.

Might just go with a pickup insert dump bed. Put a 6' in a 8' bed and still have room for a tool box.

I once saw a video with a trailer contraption that was a gooseneck trailer that you would load with the skid steer, then pick up the hitch and drive to where you wanted to dump, then lift with the skid steer to dump the trailer.

It was like a wheelbarrow for a skid steer. The "hitch" cleared the cab of the skid steer like these photos below so you could drive forwards while moving the wheel barrow.

I've no idea if this is useful to you, but for moving dirt on a property it could work, and be built from scrap.

resize (1).jpg
resize.jpg

Move creek rock, dirt,assorted stuff. I have a NH LX565 skid steer and a Fiat Allis 8B dozer. A 1973 dodge single axle dump truck , it is better on roads than rough ground.
Man, I typed out a response and thought it posted but I guess not....

What about beefing up the dodge? Get some fat ag tires for the back, something a little narrower up front. Lockers?

Or..... :smokin: what if you made the dodge articulate? Run 2 1 ton or bigger rears, then matching fat tires all around? Lockers again, but don't weld them as it won't turn for shit.

Top Back Refresh