What's new

Building a mild 460 for bronco

The comp 268 is a symmetrical grind. A split pattern with +12 to +14 degrees of additional exhaust duration is a better choice for most any 460 head especially factory iron, and even more so if not ported. Stealth isn't that good down low, not best choice for a heavy truck.

A simple budget recipe I have done a few times is a comp 268h cam, weiand stealth intake, Holley 3310 and dove-c heads. Pulls hard from 2500 to 5500 rpm. The usual other things like true roller timing set, mv oil pump, perfect circle rings, flamethrower coil, etc of course.
That will run great, but would work better with split duration cam like 218/227

Dual pattern cams are great, but the lsa is what I see make the most difference in similar cams, and 110* seems to be the happy place for my use.

I have everything but the oil pan. Can't find one.
All I need is time to assemble

IIRC with a suspension lift the car pans work, sits right behind that crossmember.

I meant this one
DA4CE2FF-A8AE-4707-A494-1292920EE553.jpeg

Wouldn't a regular 460 truck pan fit right in the 78+ frame?
That's what I'm looking for. I never would have thought it would be hard to find.
I'm looking for a rear sump preferably stock size without the dipstick hole. I have a pan but it has the hole. If I have to I'll just weld it up

IMO youd be better off to get used and weld up hole rather than the new flimsier pan. Maybe message one of the guys and ask if they have the sump to sell with it?:smokin:

That's what I'm looking for. I never would have thought it would be hard to find.
I'm looking for a rear sump preferably stock size without the dipstick hole. I have a pan but it has the hole. If I have to I'll just weld it up
I remember on one oil pan (I’ve caved in a few) I made a gasket and riveted the dipstick bung casting from a 351m pan into the 460 pan and made a dipstick tube out of (5/16”?) fuel line. It worked fine until I killed it.

I just ordered some more parts.
The machine work on the block has been done. Their dip didnt remove all the paint though. Should i assemble then strip the paint and repaint, or do it while its a bare block?

Jeff's Bronco Graveyard had the rear sump oil pan at one time. I swapped a 429 from a car into my 78 Bronco and bought the oil pan from them. I ran the car oil pan for a few years without problem.

A rear sump van pan will also work.

You can paint before or after. Either will work. More masking if you paint first. I did before as block sat awhile waiting for parts.
RL9uswLqKX-sFMbiAcy20_gqZ=w1008-h756-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
We assembled a short block last night. Now I need more parts.
What water pump and thermostat housing would have the best hose locations for a bronco? Or did they all get the same?

Water pumps are the same, thermostat housings your choices are pointed straight up or 45ish degree pointed toward the front of the truck. I had to swap to the forward facing degree one to clear my HEI. Straight up is standard up to 76 or so, 77+ get the forward facing.

EFI engines use the 45º forward one:
107.jpg

This made sense for me being an '88 and EFI, but it definitely does make fitting the upper rad hose pretty easy
110.jpg

Some of the water pumps use a different bolt spacing for the fan clutch/pulley, and its because the pulley has a different backspacing. But thats an early vs late EFI thing, i dunno about the carb (v-belt) engines. The water outlet is a different size as well, 1-7/8 vs 2" IIRC. It has to do with the different oil coolers Ford used (air vs water).

This might be all irrelevant tho, as this is '88+stuff.

Motorcraft part number starting in F1 means it's a part designed for 1991. But I don't think it matters much as I don't think Ford ever changed the direction of the water pumps for the 460 like they did for the small blocks. So that pump should work for basically every 460 up until 1994 I think?

Some water pumps have 'dual hub bolts' because Ford switched to a different bolt pattern for the clutch fan (bigger iirc) when they switched to the coolant based oil cooler, which I think was 1994. I have notes on all this, but it's in my book at home, I'd have to dig it out after work. Same thing, I've got pics of the differences of the early vs late water pumps.

Are you planning on running an oil cooler? Also are you going vbelt or serp?

Motorcraft part number starting in F1 means it's a part designed for 1991. But I don't think it matters much as I don't think Ford ever changed the direction of the water pumps for the 460 like they did for the small blocks. So that pump should work for basically every 460 up until 1994 I think?

Some water pumps have 'dual hub bolts' because Ford switched to a different bolt pattern for the clutch fan (bigger iirc) when they switched to the coolant based oil cooler, which I think was 1994. I have notes on all this, but it's in my book at home, I'd have to dig it out after work. Same thing, I've got pics of the differences of the early vs late water pumps.

Are you planning on running an oil cooler? Also are you going vbelt or serp?
V belt. I wasn't planning on a oil cooler

I have a front sump truck pan from a mid 70s engine if it helps. No dip stick hole.

Progress.
Measured for pushrods, Scotty sent me upgraded pushrods and shims for under the rockers to push the wear pattern towards the center. Slapped that together today, we will see if it's right.:homer:
Put the intake on with rtv, them realized all the studs were missing.... So I torqued it down with just the bolts. Have a bolt kit coming.
Bolted the timing cover down.

Here's the list of what I need to order.

Water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing, carb kit,(running the quadrajunk that's on the 351m now, but it's probably going to need to be rejetted.) dip stick and tube (moved to a timing cover dipstick) spark plugs, cap+rotor(bought ppams recurved distributor and it doesn't come with the other half) one piece pan gasket, balancer (pretty sure I've been moving the balancer out of my way for at least a year now, but I must have moved it somewhere out of my way)

Is there anything on that list I should buy with a certain brand or style?
For the balancer it's externally balanced, I still have the weight.

Still need to strip the paint, and paint it.

I ordered a oil pan that was supposed to be rear sump and no dip stick. And it had a dipstick... They won't accept a return... I might just run this pan and plug it off.
PXL_20230404_223704497.MP.jpg
PXL_20230404_224107160.MP.jpg

Does this look like the correct flex plate? It's what came with it. But the engine wasn't assembled
PXL_20230515_120348793.MP.jpg
PXL_20230515_120403425.jpg

Top Back Refresh