What's new

Buggy side steps

rockdog57

Getto fab garage owner
Member Number
Loc
Lindon, Utah
So I’m building a new car. In the last few years I’ve gotten more and more crippled up from psoriatic arthritis. Years ago I say an older guy that had steps he could take off his rig after he and his wife got in. I liked the idea but didn’t like the idea of two chunks of steel rattling around or smacking them in the noggin if they went over. I’d like to build something like a kickstand type deal that would fold up on to of the rock sliders. Have any of you guys seen anything like this while on the trail? I’m just to stubborn to give up a hobby I love.:grinpimp:

Put doors on it. These pin if needed for race legality and plenty strong.

20200602_160457.jpg

20200602_160507.jpg

20210116_162033.jpg

Waterhead has some interesting fold away steps on his build

Is his build on here? Buggy already has lowsides on it. It is trying to step from the ground to the sliders that is the problem. I made the sliders a little wider and flat so we can stand on em to get in. You’ve gotta realize that things that are easy for most is hard for me.

Adapt something from rockslide?

I just use a loop of chain welded to the slider.

Perhaps re-engineer current door so it folds down and acts as a step into the buggy.
Add a strap so you can pull it up and voila.
Quick release to keep it attached to buggy while wheeling.

Perhaps re-engineer current door so it folds down and acts as a step into the buggy.

this and add a gas strut to help with the weight

That’s what I was gonna say. Could be real neat set up if done right.

I met a girl this summer that used a stirrup with a flat hook that hooked over the stock door sill, she would get in and pull the stirrup in and tuck in the console. Maybe you could do something along those lines?

A U of chain with the low edge of the U links welded together for a flat step is the easiest. You could slip a bicycle innertube over the whole thing too.

Made correctly, you can make a ladder out of 1" square tubing that will fold flat, longways and only be 3" wide and swing up out of the way or detach and could be strapped down somewhere.

The only issue with a rigid ladder is you never know where you will be parked and if you will have full clearance to unfold and/or attach it. You could use chain, rope or wire rope to make a flexible ladder, but then you have a flexible ladder that wants to swing around if you don't have your weight pushing straight down fro it's mounting point.

Thinking a bit more about this, you could do a pogostick style ladder with pegs that would slide vertically, similar to ladders on some fighter jets. Slide it up into the cage and latch it in somehow, then when needed, drop it down. If you are parked over a rock, it will just hit the rock and won't go down any farther, but will use the rock for support, rather than hang from the cage.

There’s a lot of dozers and such that has some heavy wire rope going down to a step, basically rigid under the weight of a human, but will push out of the way under power.

Thanks for the responses. Buggy won’t have doors. I like the pogo stick idea. I think I can engineer a way for it to be welded to the slider with a swinging hinge setup.:smokin:

Top Back Refresh