What's new

buggy door opening how much is too much

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good am all,

I love getting in and out of the buggy at every stop to watch and or BS, i want to get in and out easy. i like the A pillar support bar but if is is raked back too much is it defeating it purpose.
the drawing with all the colors is different ideas of rake and openings. and the blank one is for you to sketch an idea on. and maybe i dont need to change a thing.
drivers side cropped possible door openings.jpg
drivers side cropped.jpg

I’d cut it all out and start over. It looks like some of those tubes were afterthoughts.

Lay the important stuff out with tape or 2x2s and see what it’s like getting in and out and go from there. Personally I’d go with a slightly more vertical yellow a support and build around that.

I’d cut it all out and start over. It looks like some of those tubes were afterthoughts.

Lay the important stuff out with tape or 2x2s and see what it’s like getting in and out and go from there. Personally I’d go with a slightly more vertical yellow a support and build around that.
yes they were , after thoughts.. i like the yellow one too.

there was some much learned when i did this. doing it again i would have a completely different plan of attrack for sure

Here is what I would do with some rework...

Attachments

• drivers side cropped 2.jpg
    drivers side cropped 2.jpg
    848.8 KB · Views: 42
^^ then add a dash bar that would intersect the steering wheel. Redo the 2nd A-pillar and add the splice for the door.

like this?

Attachments

• drivers side cropped 3.jpg
    drivers side cropped 3.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 33
cutting it all off is not the end of the world. its not much but two bends and some notching. but i can make the door opening larger by making the angle of bend closer to 60 vice 45 maybe 70.

i like this idea.

i wont do it till dec because i want to get a couple projects in the shop done before i get too deep in this

thanks again for the input.

Fuck around with steps and hand holds. Having good shit to step on and hold onto makes a huge difference.

Your wheel comes off right? That doesn't look too bad to get in and out of TBH but it looks like the window opening isn't very long. Mine has no drop on the side but with hand holds, a step and a long opening it's pretty easy to get in and out of. IMHO cut it all out and go with the yellow/reddot style bar.

wheel comes off super easy, i moved it fairly close to the tire because i have had two different get trees get caught between inside of tire and frame and was stuck like chuck on a tree. so i needed the nerf bar to keep trees out of there.

and i like post 7 pick for a larger opening and get a bit of that yellow line in there for the legs. it is kinda a pain now i will agree

Post 7 with the more upright A-pillar will help a lot IMHO. That opening is short front to back and standing the A more upright is a step in the right direction. The length of my window opening is what makes mine easier to get in and out of.

Top Back Refresh