What's new

Bug out bags

Rooney77

Bearded lady
Member Number
Loc
TX
The wife and I are trying to put some simple bags together we can use for road trips and family outings. Not really a big out bag in the traditional sense. Anyway, what bags are you guys using?

I've flip flopped between the usual operator af bags and the bushcraft survivalist style bags. Haven't really found anything I like yet. I want to have good storage in the main part, pockets to keep smaller items readily accessible, straps or some way to attach items to the outside and water proofing of some sort. They will be used for camping trips after all.

I don’t have a bug out bag because unfortunately I don’t really have any place to bug out to. That being said I use a 5.11 Rush 24 37L backpack for my get home bag; I watched a bunch of bag / get home bag reviews, weighed out tactical vs grey man look and decided I’d rather have function over form. I’ve been pretty happy with it.

The wife and I are trying to put some simple bags together we can use for road trips and family outings. Not really a big out bag in the traditional sense. Anyway, what bags are you guys using?\n\nI\'ve flip flopped between the usual operator af bags and the bushcraft survivalist style bags. Haven\'t really found anything I like yet. I want to have good storage in the main part, pockets to keep smaller items readily accessible, straps or some way to attach items to the outside and water proofing of some sort. They will be used for camping trips after all.\n\n
\n\nI certainly don\'t have a Bob but I do have a bag like you describe. Epi pen, Benadryl, very basic first aid. It can hold water, beer, a gun, spare kids clothes, or what ever is needed for where we are going. One of the best things is it doesn\'t matter if you put wet stuff in it. A sweating water bottle, kids baithing suit, food waste(like a wrapper) it has metal drain eyelets and doesn\'t drip on me. I will try to find a link. When I hunt it has all the basics in it, fire starter, snack, mylar blanket, same basic medical stuff, etc. I keep a pocket knife on the strap, its just convenient.\n\nhttps://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Slin.../dp/B0768G7H9N\n\nHere it is. I have carried it around Disney World, Vacation on the beach, and hunting solo in the deep woods of Maine.\n\n\nEDIT - it has a waste strap that helps on all day stuff. Far more pockets than it looks in this picture. I used the MOLLE to attached a second smaller pouch.\n https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Molle...uch&qid=1592400791&sr=8-15&tag=91812054244-20

Last edited:
I recall the Viet Cong soldiers (Viet Nam era war) putting "staples/supplies" in a sock (yep, a sock) & lasts a month in the jungle.

Thank you for reading this instructional purpose-

I like to use mil surplus for small bags/ packs.
They're cheap, sturdy and made in :usa:.
This is the current pack I use.

photo9457.jpg

I use these surplus "army tool bags" or "tank tool bags", whatever they are called. for traveling, camping, and whatever. I keep a few of them packed with cloths, MREs, and basic toiletry and camping equipment so that I'm always ready to go, don't have to think about packing. The bags are strong, and have good zippers on them. I have two sizes of bags, larger ones, and smaller ones.

Also keep one bag with electrical wire, tools and terminals so that I can just grab it and go, any time I need to do electrical work.

It's basically just one bag, with a few small pockets. I don't like having tons of pockets everywhere, they never seem to be the right size.

I don't fly very often, but they fit nicely in luggage compartments too.

This isn't where I've ordered them from (can't remember now, it was at a local surplus store) but these look like the bags I have:

https://www.armysurplusworld.com/lar...anics-tool-bag

toolbag.jpg

toolbag2.jpg

toolbag2.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to find a camping/tactical style backpack on sale at academy sports last year super cheap. They were like 20 bucks each. So I bought 6 of them. 2 for each of us. I keep our 3 main bags in the house and keep a back up for each of us in the car we are in most. Something like this but in camo. They are not that brand. I used my bag when we went to Maine this past year. I kept it on for several days hiking and it was comfortable wearing all day with 20 lbs of stuff in it.

20123544.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	20123544.jpg Views:	0 Size:	210.3 KB ID:	42513

I need to get a bigger bag but honestly I would have to carry my son if we had to move fast on foot for very long. So I can keep several days worth of stuff and and a hand gun with ammo in mine alone. So between the 3 bags we would be ok between the 3 of them.

Last edited:
I used some random hiking backpack for mine. Simple, gray man theory.

In before some gets on and tells everyone they are screwed that they carry everything they need in the center console of their mighty vehicle

First off the idea of me putting on a backpack and walking out to somewhere died a natural death in the 90s, having said that I have been eyeballing the Hazzard Patrol grayman packs on Amazon for awhile

Last edited:
I also have one of these I used for trail riding. To keep a hydration pack in and a few tools, spark plugs, zipties, etc. It works really well and its light even with full of water. I keep it with my main bag when not using it for riding.

ogio-flight-vest.jpg

I think you need to reverse your thinking, put together what you need, then find a bag that will fit. Minimum supplies would be food, cooking supplies, water storage and purification, rain gear, med kit, lights, ammo, mags. battery’s chargers . That X number of people. I would expect you will want 3-5 days worth of gear. Pretend you are going back packing for 3 days in mid winter because that’s worst case scenario.

It could range from a small hello kitty backpack to a full size pack.

The newer all black NATO field packs are pretty nice. I used to use the old school OD green canvas ones but unless you have some clothing/soft stuff to put inside the inner compartment they are very uncomfortable.

I have a couple Maxpedition bags I use. I don't care about "tacticool", but the MOLLE webbing is too useful to me to not have. Lately they have been doing a lot of "buy one get one free" deals that make it worth it.

I think the idea of a bug-out bag is flawed unless you're fleeing nuke contamination or such, and you have somewhere secure to go. The idea of the American populace roaming the wilds like Kit Carson is laughable, and even if a number of people do make it the game will be shot out pretty quickly, and most will not no where water is, how to build proper shelter, etc. So a get-home bag makes more sense so you can get back to your neighbors and band together to keep gangs or unwanted individuals fell un-welcome.

I travel some pretty remote parts of the state, parts that are known for drug and human trafficing, and I wouldn't wan to break down in such areas so in my truck I always have at least a gallon of water, some RX bars, sun screen, a big hat, bug spray, rain coat, blanket, good boots, flashlight, multi-tool, compass and paper map, a 2m radio with lithium batteries and repeaters programmed in, and some pews,. It won't cover me in every scenario, but I feel like I'm more prepared than most.

As far as a bag goes, I've got a Blackhawk messenger bag for my computer and binder that I can empty out to carry all that except the water. It's black, it's discrete, and has a quick access pistol pocket. https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Covert-Carry-Messenger-Bag/dp/B004T0Y8A0?tag=91812054244-20

\n\nI certainly don\'t have a Bob but I do have a bag like you describe. Epi pen, Benadryl, very basic first aid. It can hold water, beer, a gun, spare kids clothes, or what ever is needed for where we are going. One of the best things is it doesn\'t matter if you put wet stuff in it. A sweating water bottle, kids baithing suit, food waste(like a wrapper) it has metal drain eyelets and doesn\'t drip on me. I will try to find a link. When I hunt it has all the basics in it, fire starter, snack, mylar blanket, same basic medical stuff, etc. I keep a pocket knife on the strap, its just convenient.\n\nhttps://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Slin.../dp/B0768G7H9N\n\nHere it is. I have carried it around Disney World, Vacation on the beach, and hunting solo in the deep woods of Maine.\n\n\nEDIT - it has a waste strap that helps on all day stuff. Far more pockets than it looks in this picture. I used the MOLLE to attached a second smaller pouch.\nhttps://www.amazon.com/Condor-Molle-...400791&sr=8-15
\n\nThanks for this link. I just ordered the sling pack and a molle first aid kit that will be modded some for the outside of it. Might be able to retire the no name craptastic backpack. Wish USMC Doc was still putting together the badass first aid kits.

Last edited:
No BOB here. My place is my bug out. :flipoff2:

Jesus I guess I'm a cheap ass. :eek:

I like the idea of the sling bag, wish it was a smidge bigger though.

I think the idea of a bug-out bag is flawed unless you're fleeing nuke contamination or such, and you have somewhere secure to go. The idea of the American populace roaming the wilds like Kit Carson is laughable, and even if a number of people do make it the game will be shot out pretty quickly, and most will not no where water is, how to build proper shelter, etc. So a get-home bag makes more sense so you can get back to your neighbors and band together to keep gangs or unwanted individuals fell un-welcome.

I travel some pretty remote parts of the state, parts that are known for drug and human trafficing, and I wouldn't wan to break down in such areas so in my truck I always have at least a gallon of water, some RX bars, sun screen, a big hat, bug spray, rain coat, blanket, good boots, flashlight, multi-tool, compass and paper map, a 2m radio with lithium batteries and repeaters programmed in, and some pews,. It won't cover me in every scenario, but I feel like I'm more prepared than most.

As far as a bag goes, I've got a Blackhawk messenger bag for my computer and binder that I can empty out to carry all that except the water. It's black, it's discrete, and has a quick access pistol pocket. https://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Covert-Carry-Messenger-Bag/dp/B004T0Y8A0?tag=91812054244-20

I also believe this as well. There is too many people and too much infrastructure for it to get that bad. I have some military containers with food, med supplies, and other odds and ends stored. Of course a few toy guns too. I would make a stand at home first.

BUT you never know when you will need to go on the run and grab a bag quick and go.

We have bags in the cars to get home, water, life straws, energy bars, ponchos, hats, ammo and pistols. If we travel outside our area we have bags that have first aid kits, personal meds, fire starting material, more food and PCC's. The get home bags all fit into the out of town bags.

We've been doing this since the Loma Prieta quake, its paid off in spades at least 6 times since then.

I have one in each car just in case I'm not in the car I usually take. Both outfitted similarly, but like other have said it's to get me home not somewhere else. I was putting together an INCH bag but gave up due to lack of funds and motivation. Oh and INCH = I'm Never Coming Home bag for the curious.

Top Back Refresh