What's new

Budget XJ

On second thought... I'll stick to grinding. I abandon my own wife and child to do this work anyways :lmao:

How many did you go through? I'll stock up on a couple.
Not many. I bought them during his Black Friday sale so I had enough. Just make sure you’re comfortable welding while sitting and you’ll get better results. Mock everything up, take it in place, get the bend in the unibody, and since you have all three you can make sure it fits up nicely. The rears didn’t exist when I did mine. You might want to drop the gas tank for those.

Go slow. It doesn’t have to be done in a day, does it?

It sure does, this shit can’t sit all season in pieces again :homer:
Could you spend a few hours each night on it after the kids are in bed? Tack welding helps get it right, and this should really help your build. Just take the time to tack it ALL in and like it all up instead of welding mods, then fronts, and find out it isn’t straight.

I’m pretty sure it’s supposed to work with the front part of the mids folding up and over the front stiffeners. I cut the front piece off and never welded it on. I don’t think it would fit at the time. I also needed to modify mine for some bolt holes I think.

Not many. I bought them during his Black Friday sale so I had enough. Just make sure you’re comfortable welding while sitting and you’ll get better results. Mock everything up, take it in place, get the bend in the unibody, and since you have all three you can make sure it fits up nicely. The rears didn’t exist when I did mine. You might want to drop the gas tank for those.

Go slow. It doesn’t have to be done in a day, does it?

I did my rears without dropping the tank, but I don't think I really welded the underside of them near the tank very much, sort of just tacked a bit (the part where the bolts for the hitch/rear bumper brackets go through). I figure there are 4 giant bolts in there, that part isn't really moving.

These stripping disks are the shit: Amazon.com

You'll only go through maybe 2 or 3, they are pretty durable and the paint/undercoating on the sub-frame is paper thin so you're not really removing a whole lot.

Top Back Refresh