What's new

Budget Tracker Build

crispins

FJB
Member Number
Loc
Pigeon Forge, TN
So is low tech not really hardcore stuff allowed here?

I just picked up a clean rust free 94 tracker 2 door

Plans are to make budget knock-off SxS for winter wheeling.

Winch, sawzall wheel wells, ATV tires, locker in rear

I live in the East TN mountains, tons and tons of trails to ride on, mostly atv / sxs so I want to keep this narrow

Biggest issue I have is winters here are wet and the trails are muddy and clay, that is why I am thinking ATV tires.

Who has run ATV tires, can I do a few miles on the road with them?

Any builds like this I can read?

Seems simple to me.

Don't forget that a lot of sxs's run on pavement also, I'm running the maxxis carnivores, which have a bad reputation for wearing quickly. I've driven a fair amount on pavement and they seem to be fine.

@jtr @jrt? :confused::laughing: did it way before me, his faux 2 build on pbb is what you want to look at. He's running itp blackwaters and iirc has done a fair amount of pavement also.

I have a pile of parts you NEED :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I have a ton of stuff that will work on your track kick. I don't want much for it, but don't want to toss it either.

2" coil spacers and the longer struts and shocks to go with it.

Spare CV's?

Late model a arm's to make your rig wider and move tire forward?

Toyota cv conversion kit?

I know shipping will kill some of the deals, but like I said I don't want much for it.

Don't forget that a lot of sxs's run on pavement also, I'm running the maxxis carnivores, which have a bad reputation for wearing quickly. I've driven a fair amount on pavement and they seem to be fine.

@jtr @jrt? :confused::laughing: did it way before me, his faux 2 build on pbb is what you want to look at. He's running itp blackwaters and iirc has done a fair amount of pavement also.

I have a pile of parts you NEED :flipoff2:

Seriously though, I have a ton of stuff that will work on your track kick. I don't want much for it, but don't want to toss it either.

2" coil spacers and the longer struts and shocks to go with it.

Spare CV's?

Late model a arm's to make your rig wider and move tire forward?

Toyota cv conversion kit?

I know shipping will kill some of the deals, but like I said I don't want much for it.

Yea you are pretty far from me and that is some heavy stuff.

I am going to do a major amount of reading and come up with a game plan.

I want to keep it as narrow as possible right now, we will see if that changes.

I'll hit you up when I get it figured out.

Thanks man

Yea you are pretty far from me and that is some heavy stuff.

I am going to do a major amount of reading and come up with a game plan.

I want to keep it as narrow as possible right now, we will see if that changes.

I'll hit you up when I get it figured out.

Thanks man

The coil spacers and shocks/struts would probably be worth shipping, I'd take a 24 pack of beer for those

The Toyota cv kit is also small, but if you're staying open front, it's not worth it.

Post some details and or pics of this thing
​​​​​​

The coil spacers and shocks/struts would probably be worth shipping, I'd take a 24 pack of beer for those

The Toyota cv kit is also small, but if you're staying open front, it's not worth it.

Post some details and or pics of this thing
​​​​​​

it is nothing special, I assure you.

Pretty clean start, $2k doesn't get you much of a Track-Kick around here, prices are high as hell.

I wanted something that was not beat to hell already and this one looks pretty taken care of.

The studded snow tires are unusual (I'm from teh South) I doubt they would work good for what I want.

I read that whole thread on faux 2, gave me great direction.

Looks like cutting the wheel wells will not be necessary, I plan on getting those same tires for mine.

Thank you for that info!
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200710_185109.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	67252
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200710_185047.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.5 KB ID:	67253
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200710_185041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	378.2 KB ID:	67254
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200710_185034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	364.7 KB ID:	67255
Click image for larger version  Name:	20200710_185122.jpg Views:	0 Size:	199.3 KB ID:	67256

Baller!

That would be a $4500 rig here easy. Maybe more.

Anything samurai is through the roof. The only reason I got mine was thanks to Lil,yota giving me a killer deal.

You planning on the 4.24s in the tcase? Or just rock it as is?

​​​​​​​The one bummer about the 5 spd track kicks is they already have 5.13s, so there is basically no where to go to compensate for bigger tires in high range.

Baller!

That would be a $4500 rig here easy. Maybe more.

Anything samurai is through the roof. The only reason I got mine was thanks to Lil,yota giving me a killer deal.

You planning on the 4.24s in the tcase? Or just rock it as is?

The one bummer about the 5 spd track kicks is they already have 5.13s, so there is basically no where to go to compensate for bigger tires in high range.

Well I am not sure about the t case, I will do some test runs and see how it does, I know the 8v lacks in power.

If it needs them I will install them.

I am hoping to keep this build under $5k total which will be pretty tight when tires and a winch are close to $1,500 by themselves.

I will need to get the front bumper built unless I can find someones old one to buy as I do not have that ability.

Last edited:
Well I am not sure about the t case, I will do some test runs and see how it does, I know the 8v lacks in power.

If it needs them I will install them.

I am hoping to keep this build under $5k total which will be pretty tight when tires and a winch are close to $1,500 by themselves.

I will need to get the front bumper built unless I can find someones old one to buy as I do not have that ability.

What tires and winch are you looking at?

Tires are usually around $150 ea and a decent winch can be had for $300.

What tires and winch are you looking at?

Tires are usually around $150 ea and a decent winch can be had for $300.

tires I am looking at ITP blackwater evolution 30x10x15 which is $1,000 for 5 of them.

I was planning on a Badlands 9k which I think is about $350 or so

tires I am looking at ITP blackwater evolution 30x10x15 which is $1,000 for 5 of them.

I was planning on a Badlands 9k which I think is about $350 or so

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RK3DYS0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7JtcFbVHTWT7G?tag=91812054244-20

$160 ea

I put that winch on my pos 4 door tracker, slow and heavy, but works.

For your little 2 door look at the 6k lb sxs winches.

I have a 6k wide drum viper for my Sami, it was $300 for the elite with synthetic rope, wireless remote, snatch block, universal mount, in cab switch and "handle bar switch" worked well on the talon buried in snow with the tracks, so it should work well on the samurai.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RK3DYS0..._7JtcFbVHTWT7G

$160 ea

I put that winch on my pos 4 door tracker, slow and heavy, but works.

For your little 2 door look at the 6k lb sxs winches.

I have a 6k wide drum viper for my Sami, it was $300 for the elite with synthetic rope, wireless remote, snatch block, universal mount, in cab switch and "handle bar switch" worked well on the talon buried in snow with the tracks, so it should work well on the samurai.

Some wheeling I will be the only vehicle out so i really want to go a little over size on the winch.

That is why i was leaning towards the 9k, if you think the 6k would be ok I would be happy to get that.

Which one would you recommend?

My first step is going to be to order the tires, get it lifted 2", and I guess weld the rear.

I know the lockers are cheap enough but I have never setup gears before and don't have anyone around here to help me with that.

Do have access to arc welder so thinking just glue the spiders together would work fine and be easy.

Am I wrong with that?

https://www.utvdirect.com/viper-eli...t_W3SzEDljECAWeqouKfimdbu7KJxGsRoCr-MQAvD_BwE

This is the one I have.

I've only used it a handful of times, but seems to work well. In theory you should have plenty of pulling power using the 2x's your vehicle weight rule. Assuming you'll be around 2500 lbs.

Wilson put a 4k lb warn on his samurai and has been impressed with it.

If you want the overkill, I don't want to talk you out of it. I can't say "I've been using the sxs winch for years" but I really think the 6k is plenty.

I do carry a piece of winch rope for an extension and a snatch block just in case. But I do the same with my full size rigs and 10k winches.

My only concern with atv tires is sidewall strength. I've popped holes and seen a few cut on atvs alone. I'd carry a spare just incase

It's no different than full size tires, some are weaker than others. Sxs tires use ply's for supposed toughness. 8 ply is the standard for sxs's and I think there are 10 ply tires also.

I have full faith in the carnivores. I put them on a 4 door 99 tracker, probably grossing over 3k, and took it to Fordyce. It was raining most of the time, and had no issues.

Aren't you putting dubs on your talons? Why not steel those tires?

Hmm, I think it is a staggered setup, I will look at them tonight.

Was kidding on the dubs, just throwing some LT tires on them.

I think it would look pretty good but wont bring in any extra money so it wont happen.

Looking at this pic those rear tires look the same as the fronts, so damn - great idea.

They do not look as nice as the ones I was going to buy but free is a good price.

that just helped the budget.

So what is the deal with the front bumper, as far as getting a winch mounted?

Should I buy a prebuilt bumper or find someone to make me one?

20200710_205043.jpg

28x9 front and 28x11 rear, dumb, but for free who cares?

Plus if you have 2 you could run all fronts or all rears.

They are a little small, probably about stock size.

IMG_20200131_162904.jpg

Ran them on the 4 door boat for 1 "trip" they did well on the talon, they are good tires, very similar to the carnivores.

I will say, they are only 6 ply, so they may not hold up. Again free?

I think the stock Talon tires are pretty decent, they kind of remind me of a super sticky Irok. I like them so much that I recently picked up another set of brand new Talon 1000R take off wheels/tires for $250 from CL. Plan is to run the 4 rears for trails and messing around and the 4 fronts for racing until i can save for some lightweight race wheels/tires.

I'd run the 4 rears on the Tracker and save a front for a spare.

Last edited:
I think the stock Talon tires are pretty decent, they kind of remind me of a super sticky Irok. I like them so much that I recently picked up another set of brand new Talon 1000R take off wheels/tires for $250 from CL. Plan is to run the 4 rears for trails and messing around and the 4 fronts for racing until i can save for some lightweight race wheels/tires.

I'd run the 4 rears on the Tracker and save a front for a spare.

You're probably going to change your mind when you mount the rears. Between wheel width/offset and tire width it will be like 4" narrower.

You're probably going to change your mind when you mount the rears. Between wheel width/offset and tire width it will be like 4" narrower.

I have all 4 rears on it now and had all 4 fronts on it. Doesn't look bad as is but I ordered some 1.5" spacers to play with at the track when I get there. If it handles better being narrow in the rear I'm keeping it like that. Looks be damned! :laughing:

I have all 4 rears on it now and had all 4 fronts on it. Doesn't look bad as is but I ordered some 1.5" spacers to play with at the track when I get there. If it handles better being narrow in the rear I'm keeping it like that. Looks be damned! :laughing:

At least you're an R model to start with, so not stupid narrow from the factory.

I'd think the pizza cutters would suck in the back, but I don't know :confused:

90% of the cars at the track are on narrow tires/wheels F&R. Like 15 x 6 wheels and 26 - 27" tall, 9" wide tires. The Hoosier short course tires are 8" wide. Smaller footprint for added ground pressure and traction?

Sorry to fuck up your thread Chrispins. I'll shut up now

90% of the cars at the track are on narrow tires/wheels F&R. Like 15 x 6 wheels and 26 - 27" tall, 9" wide tires. The Hoosier short course tires are 8" wide. Smaller footprint for added ground pressure and traction?

Sorry to fuck up your thread Chrispins. I'll shut up now

This is such a low tech tread I am happy just to have some posts in it.

So a buddy of mine says he will help with some sliders and bumpers once he gets some time, so that is great.

Now I have been reading about the lift.

I see many are now installing longer springs from other cars as well as longer shocks.

Is this just for the rear?

I have had a hard time finding a thread that just spells it out.

I think I am going to take the Talon tires off and put them in storage, plans are to sell the Talons off in 2-3 years and having brand new tires will be good at that time and I do want those taller one with more agressive treads on them, winter wheeling here is slick and I think those tires that Faux 2 runs will be best for the job,

Can anyone point me in the direction ont he best, budget way to get 2" of lift?

I have used spacers in the past but seems like longer springs would be better.

Also ditching the swaybars is fine too, right? No plans on driving this more than a mile or 2 at a time on the road.

I'd like to start ordering some parts for this thing.

Thanks all for the info, really looking forward to getting back out on the trails again, been years.

I have the 2" spacers on the shelf now. Can easily fit in a flat rate box.

You can do different springs, I was reading something about XJ or zj coils. But the spacers are kinda fool proof.

You will need to either get longer struts or strut spacers. I have the monte carlo ones but you have to do some fuckery to make them work. If you pm me your number I can text you some pics of what I'm talking about.

The good thing is they are much bigger and beefier, and you actually get more travel, not just space the travel down.

Getting going on my build.

I found myself having to use my Tracker to get to and from work as my Daily blew a tire and it took some time to get another one.

I went through the brakes, replaced everything up front.

Changed the oil

I got the power steering working

For having around 300k miles this thing does alright, makes the 30 mile round trip drive fine.

Everything seems to work decent except for the heat but judging by all the rat nest that blew out of it when I first started it I need to pull the blower fan out and do some cleaning and find the hole they made into the ducts and seal that up.

I just ordered the ITP Blackwater Evolution Mud Terrain ATV Tire 30x10R15

So are the stock wheels just fine? I am picking up a set this weekend for $50 as I want to keep my street tires around in case I need them for some reason.

itp_12_tir_bla_evo_rad_atv-fro.jpg

I still have not figured out the lift yet.

I know spacer kit is easy but I am leaning towards longer spring and shocks in the rear, have not figured out the front yet, still researching.

Wheeling season starts in 2 months so I got to get shit going.

Stock wheels work great but you will have to run wheel spacers to make them clear stuff. The side lugs reach out and hit stuff. Warning!!! DO NOT spend a penny with Calmini, you will not get what you pay for. That only leaves you a couple options, the spacer lift or the Altered Ego lift which is pretty spendy. If I was to start over I'd be going with the altered ego lift, and I'd buy some cheap steel beadlocks with 2" backspacing to get rid of the spacers.

***EDIT UPDATED
12/15/20***

I am working on a self imposed budget of $5k on this whole thing.

Budget so far

$2,150 1994 Tracker
$275 Brakes
$708 Tires
$50 Spare set stock wheels
$210 Used Head
$300 Machine Work
$176 Badlands 5,000 LBS winch
$100 struts and shocks
$35 used spacer lift
$168 front bumper TJ / YJ
$214 front skidplate

$4,386 total as of Feb 6th, 2021

Last edited:
Washed and waxed it, also figured out where my coolant has been going - out the old tail pipe.

Sigh...

debating on running it as is, dumping in "head Gasket in a can", or popping the head off and fixing it right.

121151665_2444973808982495_3123623133696115347_n.jpg

Top Back Refresh