What's new

Budget Tracker Build

My question is this, I left the front sway disconnected.

I have no plans on driving this at any highway speeds, I am better off not connecting it, correct?

Yes you are better off not connecting it and you should be able to slot the hole on your front strut doohickey to correct the camber. Get it where you want it and then tack the bolt side to the bracket so it doesnt slip

Yes you are better off not connecting it and you should be able to slot the hole on your front strut doohickey to correct the camber. Get it where you want it and then tack the bolt side to the bracket so it doesnt slip

I slotted the shit out of it today.

I still have some positive camber, I am going to run it like that and see if it needs more fucking with or not.

I dropped the head off at the machine shop today.

Oh yeah I picked up a whole spare engine as well for $250 the other day so I should be all set for a while now.

I always left the sway bar connected as they were all beginner wheelers (didn't want any weird unloading characteristics) and all of them went on the street too. But I see no issue running without it.

Slot the shit out of it more, you don't want any positive camber, it makes them handle like shit. Learned that on the first build lol

Is the front higher than the rear?

Could always take a bit off the front spacers. Would help the camber also.

I actually had to use limit straps with those struts to keep the CV's from binding.

I always left the sway bar connected as they were all beginner wheelers (didn't want any weird unloading characteristics) and all of them went on the street too. But I see no issue running without it.

Slot the shit out of it more, you don't want any positive camber, it makes them handle like shit. Learned that on the first build lol

I will slot it some more tomorrow, since I seem to be the only one having this issue I will slot the shit out of it - lol

Got it all finished today.

I have the camber set as close to zero as I can get it.

I have the lower bolt as close to the outside as I can get it and the top of the knuckle is against the strut body.
20201208_123715.jpg
20201208_123619.jpg
20201208_123626.jpg

How it sits

20201208_132631.jpg
20201208_132636.jpg

So not horrible and I wonder if it might get a little better once the suspension settles in after being cycled some.

I also gave it a string alignment (I have gotten super good at them and recommend that method highly)

Once I get the head back from the shop and slap it back together I will be ready to test it out and see how it does.

Hopefully that will be this weekend.

My head is done, fucking $300 for it

I get why people just run shit, doing it right costs too fucking much.

Will put it back together and take a test drive

what is fucking stupid is I bought a complete 83k motor for $250 the other day, so I have an entire engine for less than the machine work on the head I got.

That's why I have a stockpile of 16v engines laying around for parts :laughing:

put it back together today, it fired right up.

Tomorrow will put all the accessories and the cooling system back in then I should be able to take it out for a ride.

Success!

Put it all back together, it fired right up.

Can't get the timing set by light but it seems to be running good and feels like it has all the hamsters it should.

I ran it around some.

The front settled some, I actually have some negative camber now on the drivers side and a tiny bit of positive on the passenger side, once I get the mount and bumper on I will see what final adjusting it needs and weld the washers onto the strut.

Running around on those tires for the first time, I think I regret getting them, wishing I had just went with some aggressive mud tires like the buckshots.

However, I played around with it some in the neighborhood and going up wet soggy hills I never needed 4wd, so the tires work super good.

I picked up a 5k winch the other day.

Sunday I will hit some trails by my house and see how it does.

I have to take the hubs apart and clean them, don't think this thing has been in 4x4 this decade.

it will not engage the axles when locked.

I have to take the hubs apart and clean them, don't think this thing has been in 4x4 this decade.

it will not engage the axles when locked.

I’m pretty sure a manual samurai hub will bolt right up. I never liked the auto ones, if that’s what you have

I’m pretty sure a manual samurai hub will bolt right up. I never liked the auto ones, if that’s what you have

No, I have the manual hubs.

They were very difficult to turn, had to use a wrench on them.

Pretty sure, based on how clean this thing is on the frame, it has never been off road.

I am going to pull them off today and clean them.

No, I have the manual hubs.

They were very difficult to turn, had to use a wrench on them.

Pretty sure, based on how clean this thing is on the frame, it has never been off road.

I am going to pull them off today and clean them.

Gotcha. That's about a three to four beer job if you take your time. Easy money.

My head is done, fucking $300 for it

I get why people just run shit, doing it right costs too fucking much.

Will put it back together and take a test drive

Been a while since I checked in here. These little things are monetary oddities. A reman 16V from anywhere is about $2,200 bucks. For a vehicle that’s worth $2500 if it runs good. So many of these have been scrapped for engine issues.

On hating your tires, is it because of how loud and shaky they are on pavement? I’m just now starting to look at replacing mine after 6 years of use. I drive mine on the highway a lot and while they lasted longer than I anticipated, I’m thinking of trying something else. Wish I could find some 30x10x15 Kawasaki sxs take offs.

Been a while since I checked in here. These little things are monetary oddities. A reman 16V from anywhere is about $2,200 bucks. For a vehicle that’s worth $2500 if it runs good. So many of these have been scrapped for engine issues.

On hating your tires, is it because of how loud and shaky they are on pavement? I’m just now starting to look at replacing mine after 6 years of use. I drive mine on the highway a lot and while they lasted longer than I anticipated, I’m thinking of trying something else. Wish I could find some 30x10x15 Kawasaki sxs take offs.

As for the tires I am just worried that they will wear way too fast driving a few miles here and there.

For the same money I could have gotten some Buckshots that have a deep tread and still last a long as time on the road.

I have an off-road park 8 miles from my house, I do not want to have to trailer it to go there.

I am just hoping that driving 30 mph for 8 miles will not tear up the tires

As for the tires I am just worried that they will wear way too fast driving a few miles here and there.

For the same money I could have gotten some Buckshots that have a deep tread and still last a long as time on the road.

I have an off-road park 8 miles from my house, I do not want to have to trailer it to go there.

You realize he has the same tires on a sidekick right? Just run them.

I was told the carnivores would wear out in 1 season on a sxs. Well 2 years later they've been on a 4door vitara, a 4 seat sxs and now a Sami. All with spooled rears and lots of road jaunts like you're taking about. Still have ~3/4" of tread. I think I'll get bored and want different tires before they wear out. Those mt's would last forever on the road and suck off road.

The krx1000 or whatever? Pretty sure those are 31" carnivores. I see some of the more utility sport ones are coming with 30s, not sure on rim size though.

My buddy just got the system 3 xcr350s in a 35x10-15 on his rzr. Not a crazy open tread pattern, but the tread is SOFT, I'd be curious to try them on the rocks. I haven't looked at what sizes they make in a while.

I wouldn’t worry about that, promise! I’ve put up to 250 pavement miles a day on mine and thought they’d be gone in a year or two. They’ve been being treated poorly for 6 years and are just now getting below 30%. Actually mine are showing more concerning signs of dry Cracking than tread wear. I’ve driven mine at 80 mph on California Highway for 100 miles in 100 degree weather. I was concerned they’d come apart with that kind of abuse but they didn’t flinch. The only reason I’d change away from them is the amount of noise they make at high speed. A Cessna airplane is quieter than this thing cruising down the road.

The krx1000 or whatever? Pretty sure those are 31" carnivores. I see some of the more utility sport ones are coming with 30s, not sure on rim size though.

My buddy just got the system 3 xcr350s in a 35x10-15 on his rzr. Not a crazy open tread pattern, but the tread is SOFT, I'd be curious to try them on the rocks. I haven't looked at what sizes they make in a while.

For some reason I thought stock size was 30” tall. I’ll keep looking, I can’t fit larger than 30” and the gearing in high range is barely cutting it with 30’s anyway.

Not the greatest picture because of the mud n snow but best I can do. Performance from these has been unparalleled, life span exceeded expectations. Probably going to do them one more time.... because. When I bought them I bought 5. The 5th one has never touched the ground. So I can buy 3 new tires and have a full set of 4 new ones on the ground.

Installed the new radiator today

Fixed the negative camber on the drivers side

Took the hubs off, cleaned out the dried up grease and rust, scrubbed them all up and now I have 4x4

I am taking out tomorrow afternoon to a spot that is nearby that I have heard about for years but never seen before.

Excited to see how it does, not going to get into too much as I do not have any recovery gear besides a strap and a shovel.

Top Back Refresh