What's new

Bronco/F-250/F-350 Frame Rails at the Gas Tank

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
Does anyone know if the frame rails at the gas tank/rear bumper match, or are very similar between the Bronco and F-250/350?

Measurement CL to CL of Bronco frame rails 36.5"~/37"~

I'm looking to replace my current hitch receiver (on the Bronco) with a beefier one due to needing an extension (36") now that the camper is permanently mounted.

I'm on etrailer right now looking a trailer hitch and extension for an '94 F-250/350.

Pic of existing hitch and camper overhang:

_nc_ohc=BkZ2kv-YsUsAX9ZebZy&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

I'm getting 35.5" center of the rear hitch bolts. So probably the same, just one or both of us isn't super accurate :flipoff2:

Edit: 97 F350

Last edited:
F150 (and presumably Bronco) don't have very much frame web to drill/bolt into. Just watch for that.... ran into this trying to put a F250 hitch on a F150.

So basically; instead of just relying on the frame rail and washers, have additional said .25" plates to back hardware when mounting?

Washers would probably be fine for whatever you can tow behind a bronco, but some type of flat bar or whatever would be better. The hitch should come with some large rectangle washer things, which are probably fine too.

Theyre not the same. Gas tank brackets aka frame xmembers are in different places. Driver rail is shaped different to clear filler neck. Bumper brackets are different due to needing to be different lengths, plus different bolt patterns. I'd have to measure the offset on my 96 bronco vs 96 f250 when I get home from work,to see just how different. Might still work with some minor tweaks.

Theyre not the same. Gas tank brackets aka frame xmembers are in different places. Driver rail is shaped different to clear filler neck. Bumper brackets are different due to needing to be different lengths, plus different bolt patterns. I'd have to measure the offset on my 96 bronco vs 96 f250 when I get home from work,to see just how different. Might still work with some minor tweaks.
I noticed on the '92-'96 F-250/350 hitch receiver pic, the forward half of said hitch receiver is angled down while rearward half is flat/horizontal.

f-250 hitch.png

Maybe it's just a file pic? 🤷‍♂️

Is your '96 F-250 rear frame rail straight at the fuel tank area like our Broncos?

FYI:

The reason for this thread;
I need/want a 36" hitch receiver extension (beyond camper's ass).
_nc_ohc=BkZ2kv-YsUsAX9ZebZy&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

The cheapest, yet, proper/safe way to achieve this (with off-the-shelf parts to tow my 4,200lb trailer) is to swap in a class-V
2.5" hitch receiver and a 36" hitch receiver extension at a cost of $600-$700~.

I was quoted $1,500 for a custom set up.

A conventional set up with off-the-shelf parts (to tow a 16,000lb trailer) from Etrailer is $1,250.

I never got under there, ended up on the road most of the day.

This is not a great pic, but I had the bed off my truck a couple years ago

011.jpg

The rail is mostly straight, until the hump over the rear axle. I had bought a new Curt Class V hitch for it at the same time, it was perfectly flat:

023.jpg

I never got under there, ended up on the road most of the day.

This is not a great pic, but I had the bed off my truck a couple years ago

011.jpg

The rail is mostly straight, until the hump over the rear axle. I had bought a new Curt Class V hitch for it at the same time, it was perfectly flat:

023.jpg
Ah; thanks for the pics! :smokin: :beer:

Is that a 2.5" hitch receiver?

Can you measure the centerline-to-centerline of where the hitch receiver mounts to the frame?

What model # is that Curt hitch receiver?

Yes; it appears to be straight frame rails just like the Bronco.

_nc_ohc=SVZN0FrLGDQAX-TtyIM&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Let's see if this works:

It's a Curt, #15300. Class V, but 2" receiver. They make it in a 2.5" but I don't know the part number offhand. I can get those measurements after work this morning.

its raining pretty good so i only took a quick look, but it looks like the bolt pattern width on the F250 hitch is ~35". Should be the same as the broncos, since both vehicles have the same spring width. Im thinking the only issue is this: On the p/us the rearmost xmember is all the way at the back of the frame, meaning the bolt holes are most likely in different places. Probably the only reason it wouldnt simply bolt on.

F-series and bronco share the same frame outside width and frame dimensions. The F150 is thinner. There were minor revisions around the shock mounts over the years. Hitches should interchange.

A chassis cab hitch will not fit a pickup.

The hitch receiver description dictates will fit frame rails 34" to 37.5".
Unless you're talking about one of those adjustable parts store "universal" specials the hitch reciever is lying. A hitch for a 34" frame will have the bolts where the fuel tank of your bronco wants to be.
I noticed on the '92-'96 F-250/350 hitch receiver pic, the forward half of said hitch receiver is angled down while rearward half is flat/horizontal.

Maybe it's just a file pic? 🤷‍♂️
Yes it's just a file pic. The frame is flat on the bottom for longer than that.

Top Back Refresh