What's new

Bridgeport Quick Change tooling

zippo

Member Number
I have an interest in purchasing a Bridgeport Series 1 mill with BOSS. Let’s not talk about BOSS now. Let’s talk about the #30 quick change tooling it requires. I’m not familiar with it and cannot find much info on the web; other than lube up and bend over. Should I walk away or do I just need to get smarter in terms of Quick Change tooling?

If I need to get smarter, point me in the general direction.

SomeGuyFromOlympia, Thanks for the assist. Will do.

Your about 6 months too late. The last place I worked had a whole bunch of those tool holders laying around. They ditched the last one of those machines about 3 years ago......

Also, fuck those controllers.

Day late, dollar short... story of my life. The controller will get trashed.

Day late, dollar short... story of my life. The controller will get trashed.
IMO, that stuff can be an asset in a production environment, but a detriment for one off work.

For real oddball “limit of capacity” work you’ll suffer due to loss of spindle/table height.

IMO, that stuff can be an asset in a production environment, but a detriment for one off work.

For real oddball “limit of capacity” work you’ll suffer due to loss of spindle/table height.
it would have to be a screaming deal to justify getting it for a production/business environment vs buying something newer

Not for a business. It's going to be more of a toy than anything else. I found that my plasma table lacks quality when it comes to making round holes. My drills are not too happy when it comes to cleaning up those holes. For future projects that need accurate holes I will just make it a two pass process. The mill for holes and such and plasma for shape. Yes, I would be better off getting a manual mill. But, I find being a mill operator to be boring. Sitting for just as long, or longer, staring a CAD screen is more better.

I have a retrofitted rigid ram boss 5 machine that I bought from a member here/the old place.

You can still find the holders on Ebay and new from some suppliers. Erickson quick change and qc30 will generally work and some nmtb 30 will work of they have they right style flange.

Be prepared to spend as much or more on tooling as you spend on the machine itself.

I've amassed a decent collection for mine...

Not for a business. It's going to be more of a toy than anything else. I found that my plasma table lacks quality when it comes to making round holes. My drills are not too happy when it comes to cleaning up those holes. For future projects that need accurate holes I will just make it a two pass process. The mill for holes and such and plasma for shape. Yes, I would be better off getting a manual mill. But, I find being a mill operator to be boring. Sitting for just as long, or longer, staring a CAD screen is more better.
What plasma table, what are you cutting holes for, and what is your issue?

Also, I would look for a machine that takes CAT 40 tooling. It is much more common and if you upgrade later you won't have to retool the entire shop.

"What plasma table, what are you cutting holes for, and what is your issue?"

I have a PlasmaCam, Hypertherm 800 with a hand torch.
My issue is with 1/4" and 3/8" stock.
The holes have a bevel. Partly amps and partly from using a hand torch.
Holes are 1/2" diameter or less.
I'm assuming the hardness is nitriding.
I do not plan to use a bottled gas for cutting.
Some holes will the threaded.

Top Back Refresh