What's new

Bread Thread

JunkCJ6

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Didn't see a bread thread, so put your bread baking here.

Been messing around with Beer Breads for the last few years. Have about 15 different flavors ranging from beer only, to the simple, bacon cheese and the like to interesting, like caramel pecan and s'mores. Made about 50 loaves at Thanksgiving.

3 cups white flour
1/4 cup sugar
4tsp baking powder
1-1/2 tsp salt
Beer of your choice

Mix dry ingredients then add beer.
Let bubbles dissipate
Stir only until mixed, don't overwork the dough
Add just under 1/2 stick of butter on top of each loaf
Bake at 375 for 1 hour

I use cast iron loaf pans for the best results

Click image for larger version Name:	20201122_163204.jpg Views:	0 Size:	465.2 KB ID:	250282

Click image for larger version Name:	20201119_212045.jpg Views:	0 Size:	407.7 KB ID:	250283

Click image for larger version Name:	20201027_212700.jpg Views:	0 Size:	165.7 KB ID:	250284

Last edited:
I saved some spent grain (husks and all) from a brew session and ground it into course flour. I put a cup or so of that into a regulate recipe and it turned out great. I like the simplicity of this recipe and will definitely try it out. Thanks for sharing.

Mrs was given a bread machine a few years ago. We messed with it a couple times but lost interest. Mrs gave it to her sister in law, now it collects dust on her shelf.

I’m not a big bread eater, but I do enjoy a good dark rye, and a nice heavy sourdough

I think I need to get a couple loaf pans and play around with recipes :homer:

My grandfather always had fresh bread. I’ll have to see if I can get his recipe.

I baked my first (ever) loaf today after work

Basic beer bread recipe. I had Shiner and Guinness in the fridge. I went with the Shiner for my first attempt

It turned out VERY buttery, great flavor! My picky nineteen year old approves :homer:

A7DCED43-67F7-4D31-8EF5-FA0658D3C1C9.jpeg
81B34470-4D46-43B1-AA9E-E929EADDCD57.jpeg

I baked my first (ever) loaf today after work

Basic beer bread recipe. I had Shiner and Guinness in the fridge. I went with the Shiner for my first attempt

It turned out VERY buttery, great flavor! My picky nineteen year old approves :homer:

Looks good. Shiner is my go to for most loaves. Dump in some bacon bits, chopped up tamed jalapeno slices and sharp cheddar in your next loaf.

If you start experimenting with adding fruits, make sure to use freeze dryed or dehydrated. Fresh will add too much liquid and the loaf will never finish baking in the middle.

Last edited:
Looks good. Shiner is my go to for most loaves. Dump in some bacon bits, chopped up tamed jalapeno slices and sharp cheddar in your next loaf.

If you start experimenting with adding fruits, make sure to use freeze dryed or dehydrated. Fresh will add too much liquid and the loaf will never finish baking in the middle.

Thanks!

I think the next one may get cheese and garlic. A while back I was given a loaf of sourdough with garlic in it from a local bread vendor to get my opinion. That loaf didn’t last long in my house :laughing:

My wife makes gluten free, potato starch free, everything free bread.

most disgusting bread I’ve ever eaten.

by far the best toast I’ve ever eaten.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I think the next one may get cheese and garlic. A while back I was given a loaf of sourdough with garlic in it from a local bread vendor to get my opinion. That loaf didn’t last long in my house :laughing:

This stuff is great mixed into the dough and sprinkled on top before it goes in the oven.

655279-PKG_06_1500929762000.jpg

Been keeping a sourdough culture for a bit. Got distracted around Christmas and I think I lost it. Time to start another. I will try and revive this one but I think it’s probably done.

My wife has been making some unbelievable sourdough for the last 2-3 weeks

This stuff is great mixed into the dough and sprinkled on top before it goes in the oven.

I made my own following this recipe. About 4 heaping tsps went into a loaf when mixing the dry ingredients and a nice american blonde. Going on permanent rotation!

https://ourbestbites.com/garlic-bread-seasoning/

A friend is using this recipe with the dutch oven method and getting amazing results. He also just bought a lame (yeah I didn't know either)

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/ho...artisan-bread/

Lame: https://www.amazon.com/EROIR-Bakers-...91812054244-20

Family Irish Soda Bread (brought to the US circa 1919)

½ box raisins (I like golden)
4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
½ cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
¼ cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups buttermilk

Soak raisins in hot water to soften (drain). In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients*, then cut in the shortening with a fork. Add raisins. Beat the egg into the buttermilk then slowly fold into the mixture**. Knead lightly and add flour (up to a ½ cup) if too sticky. Rest for 10 approx 10 minutes. Place in a greased and floured 9” pie pan. Cut a cross through the top with a floured knife. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack. Best fresh but can be frozen.

*sprinkle the baking powder as its added to ensure thorough blending/dispersion.
** key is to wet out the flour with a minimum amount of mixing – it can be over-mixed which drives off the gas. Also, the rest allows for more gas to form.

Thanks!

i buy this stuff every once in a while, lasts about 2 days maybe lol.

Attachments

• garlic.jfif
    9.7 KB · Views: 47
Recipe? Besides being traditionally Jewish, what makes this different from other breads?

The main difference is that challah is make with egg and oil while most bread is made with milk or butter. Here's the recipe for 3 braid.
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 teaspoons active dry or instant yeast
  • 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and level)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk (reserve the white for the egg wash)
  • 1/4 cup neutral-flavored vegetable oil, such as canola
  • Dissolve the yeast. Place water in small bowl, sprinkle with yeast and a healthy pinch of sugar, stir to combine. Let stand until you see a thin frothy layer across the top, 5 to 10 minutes. Water needs to be 110*
  • Mix the dry ingredients. Place 4 cups of the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine (or large bowl mixed by hand).
  • Add the eggs, yolk, and oil. Make a well in the center of the flour, add eggs, egg yolk, and oil. Whisk to form a slurry, pulling in a little flour from the sides of the bowl. *whisk egg, yoke, & oil in cup before adding to flower.
  • Mix to form shaggy dough. Pour yeast mixture over egg slurry. Mix yeast, eggs, and flour with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until shaggy dough that is difficult to mix forms.
  • Knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes. Fit mixer with hook attachment and knead on low speed for 6 to 8 minutes. (Alternatively, turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and knead by hand for about 10 minutes.) If dough seems very sticky, add flour a teaspoon at a time until it feels tacky, but no longer like bubblegum. Dough has finished kneading when it is soft, smooth, and holds a ball-shape.
  • Let dough rise until doubled. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place somewhere warm. Let the dough rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  • Divide dough and roll into ropes. Divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into rope about 16 inches. If ropes shrink as you try to roll them, let them rest for 5 minutes to relax the gluten then try again.
  • Braid dough. Gather ropes and squeeze together at very top. Making 3-stranded challah, braid ropes together like braiding hair or yarn and squeeze the other ends together when complete.
  • Let challah rise. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place braided loaf on top and sprinkle with a little flour. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place away from drafts until puffed and pillowy, about 1 hour.
  • Brush challah with egg white. About 20 minutes before baking, arrange rack in the middle of oven and heat to 350°F. When ready to bake, whisk reserved egg white with 1 tablespoon water and brush it all over challah. Be sure to get in the cracks and down the sides of the loaf.
  • Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Bake, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until the challah is deeply browned and registers 190°F in the very middle with an instant-read thermometer, 30 to 35 minutes total.
  • Cool. Let challah cool on cooling rack until barely warm. Slice and eat.

The main difference is that challah is make with egg and oil while most bread is made with milk or butter. Here's the recipe for 3 braid.
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 2 teaspoons active dry or instant yeast
  • 4 to 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spoon and level)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk (reserve the white for the egg wash)
  • 1/4 cup neutral-flavored vegetable oil, such as canola
  • Dissolve the yeast. Place water in small bowl, sprinkle with yeast and a healthy pinch of sugar, stir to combine. Let stand until you see a thin frothy layer across the top, 5 to 10 minutes. Water needs to be 110*
  • Mix the dry ingredients. Place 4 cups of the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine (or large bowl mixed by hand).
  • Add the eggs, yolk, and oil. Make a well in the center of the flour, add eggs, egg yolk, and oil. Whisk to form a slurry, pulling in a little flour from the sides of the bowl. *whisk egg, yoke, & oil in cup before adding to flower.
  • Mix to form shaggy dough. Pour yeast mixture over egg slurry. Mix yeast, eggs, and flour with wooden spoon or rubber spatula until shaggy dough that is difficult to mix forms.
  • Knead dough for 6 to 8 minutes. Fit mixer with hook attachment and knead on low speed for 6 to 8 minutes. (Alternatively, turn out the dough onto a floured work surface and knead by hand for about 10 minutes.) If dough seems very sticky, add flour a teaspoon at a time until it feels tacky, but no longer like bubblegum. Dough has finished kneading when it is soft, smooth, and holds a ball-shape.
  • Let dough rise until doubled. Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and place somewhere warm. Let the dough rise until doubled in bulk, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
  • Divide dough and roll into ropes. Divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into rope about 16 inches. If ropes shrink as you try to roll them, let them rest for 5 minutes to relax the gluten then try again.
  • Braid dough. Gather ropes and squeeze together at very top. Making 3-stranded challah, braid ropes together like braiding hair or yarn and squeeze the other ends together when complete.
  • Let challah rise. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Place braided loaf on top and sprinkle with a little flour. Cover with clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place away from drafts until puffed and pillowy, about 1 hour.
  • Brush challah with egg white. About 20 minutes before baking, arrange rack in the middle of oven and heat to 350°F. When ready to bake, whisk reserved egg white with 1 tablespoon water and brush it all over challah. Be sure to get in the cracks and down the sides of the loaf.
  • Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Bake, rotating baking sheet halfway through, until the challah is deeply browned and registers 190°F in the very middle with an instant-read thermometer, 30 to 35 minutes total.
  • Cool. Let challah cool on cooling rack until barely warm. Slice and eat.

Thanks.

during the pandemic, my wife bakes every day. We buy 25lb bags of flour and while she works, she bakes. She makes an overnight loaf every day for us. The rest she gives to people in the neighborhood who have asked for it (and the cookies and pies as we try not to eat much of that)

Lots of times, homemade bread can be too dense, too rustic (rough looking) she has gotten her bread to be fluffy and light and whether it is sourdough or overnight loaf or banana bread, it is light and just fantastic. Her first loaves were pretty rough and we talked about it and decided, lets figure it out... and after some tests and trials, she's got it.

Top Back Refresh