What's new

brake lines

RUGER

just living the dream
Member Number
Loc
northern az
while changing the master cylinder on my 77 scout 2 ss i ended up pretzeling the rear line from the proportioning valve to the master. is there anyway to get just those lines or do i need to buy the complete hard line set. back country benders sells the parts i need but they are moving to another shop and unfortunately not accepting orders.

RUGER

while changing the master cylinder on my 77 scout 2 ss i ended up pretzeling the rear line from the proportioning valve to the master. is there anyway to get just those lines or do i need to buy the complete hard line set. back country benders sells the parts i need but they are moving to another shop and unfortunately not accepting orders.

RUGER

Are they something other than flared hard brake line? Couldnt you make your own with a brake line bending and flaring tool?

that you fer the reply poriggity

nope standard flared hard lines. i sopose i could just never played with making my own though.
just wondering if theres a way without rolling my own.

RUGER

How long is it? If you don't want to bend, you could use a slightly shorter straight piece and two soft lines on either side?

that you fer the reply poriggity

nope standard flared hard lines. i sopose i could just never played with making my own though.
just wondering if theres a way without rolling my own.

RUGER

Making them with the pre flared stuff found at most auto parts stores would be pretty easy, I'd think.

about a foot. preflared would work.
soft line yer a genius dnsfailure. been spinning wrenches on and off fer 30 years, never thought of that. haha

Last edited:
Get a brake line bender, and the pre-made length to fit (Napa and other good stores sell them in 6" increments). It's not that hard.
Then use either some flex line, or even solid couplers.

Really they are not that hard to make with a couple tools. If you decide you don't want to make them, we might have a set ready to go at IH Parts America. If not we can easily make them up.

thank you jeff. if i cant figure it out ill give you a hollar. ill deff keep yall in mind when it comes to getting parts fer the scout in the future

RUGER

Copper nickel.

This is what I use. I bought a 20 foot roll of it and a 10 pack of fittings for around $30. I think the flaring tool with a tube cutter was another $30. I use a beer bottle to bend the lines. It’s hard to kink if you aren’t stupid with it. You now have lines that will never rust. Bonus with the soft copper is that they flare nice and easy.

This is what I use. I bought a 20 foot roll of it and a 10 pack of fittings for around $30. I think the flaring tool with a tube cutter was another $30. I use a beer bottle to bend the lines. It’s hard to kink if you aren’t stupid with it. You now have lines that will never rust. Bonus with the soft copper is that they flare nice and easy.

Been doing hard bends in primarily SST and steel for a living since forever. Yes one can do bends on a beer bottle, the question I might ask is can you always live with the bend radius they give and how many feet of tubing were lost when the tubing collapsed in on the inner radius? Ni-Cu tubing isnt cheap...a decent tube bender like sold by Ridgid or Imperial eastman yieds better construction even if they cost the same price as a 1" open end made by snap on for 1 size tube. For that matter at least fill the tube with fine sand to prevent collapse... ;)

Straight preflared sections are a time saver if you get a length that you can make work. Or just bend your own. Cooper Nickle brake line is worth the extra cost. Bends and flares sooooo much easier and won't rust. That green coated line sold at O'Reilly's is a bitch to get a good flare on.

Straight preflared sections are a time saver if you get a length that you can make work. Or just bend your own. Cooper Nickle brake line is worth the extra cost. Bends and flares sooooo much easier and won't rust. That green coated line sold at O'Reilly's is a bitch to get a good flare on.

That's what I've done in the past, use pre-flared straight pieces, bend them up. If one piece is a bit to long, make a loop, or a few S shapes. haha I have a flare tool now though.

Easier to flare but less friendly to the novice bender. I doubt he's driving the truck in question in the salt.
Lol, what? It's WAY friendlier to bend. You can damn near tie it in a knot and it won't kink. Easier to straighten out from a roll. Have you ever actually used it? There are absolutely no drawbacks to it aside from the slightly higher price. You can't even buy steel brake line in town any more around here.

Lol, what? It's WAY friendlier to bend. You can damn near tie it in a knot and it won't kink. Easier to straighten out from a roll. Have you ever actually used it? There are absolutely no drawbacks to it aside from the slightly higher price. You can't even buy steel brake line in town any more around here.
The fuck are you smoking? It flattens and/or kinks waaaay easier than steel. Run it through a bender and check out the deformation compared to steel. That should tell you something.

It's easier to bend by hand, I'll give you that.

This is the best brake flaring tool I’ve ever used. All the other cheap ones suck ass. Only does 3/16” but this has saved me so much time.

Eastwood On Car Brake Line Flaring Tool for 3/16 Tubing
Thanks for the rec! Constantly flaring under a vehicle or stuffed in a wheel well. Fucking road salt anyway. This looks handier than my Bluepoint conventional double flare, and easier to get in tight spaces.

I have a very similar one to that eastwood flaring tool and it works great. I used to have a hydraulic flaring tool and it was awesome but basically had to do it on the bench each time.

Really they are not that hard to make with a couple tools. If you decide you don't want to make them, we might have a set ready to go at IH Parts America. If not we can easily make them up.
Stainless? I want a complete kit for a 1979 Scout II

Stainless? I want a complete kit for a 1979 Scout II

Learn to search dammit. It took me like 15 seconds to find that.

Top Back Refresh