What's new

Brake Earthquakes

Poopyface

Member Number
Anyone ever have seized brakes that wobbled so bad that the dash looks like it is going to break off?

It's a weird ass coincidence that my sister's 13 patriot and my 98 k2500 both have this exact same problem on the same corner and at the same speed (45).

Why are you and your sister both driving around in vehicles at highway speeds knowing your brakes are so fucked that they try to shake the vehicle apart at said speeds? There must be some kinda special that runs in your family!:laughing:

That really is an odd coincidence though, any other factors in common, like a type or section of road where it happens? It almost sounds more like death wobble.

The brakes aren’t worn out. The truck sits around with road salt all over it and the rotors get big rust spots where the pads are. The rust swells up and makes the pedal pulsate so bad you can barely keep your feet on it.

My autocross truck basically hasn't moved in over a year and the rotors are still mostly shiny with light surface rust. Fuck living in the rust belt.

The brakes aren’t worn out. The truck sits around with road salt all over it and the rotors get big rust spots where the pads are. The rust swells up and makes the pedal pulsate so bad you can barely keep your feet on it.

That's why you spray them down with wd-40 after you drive in the winter. Keeps the flash rust off the rotors.

That's why you spray them down with wd-40 after you drive in the winter. Keeps the flash rust off the rotors.

20+ years ago my buddy and I were rebuilding the engine in his car when his you get brother walked in asking if we had any wd40. We asked what for and he said to quiet their moms brakes. :homer:. It had been on the squealers for a week but hitting it with wd40 a few times a day apparently shut them up.

What is weird is that the pedal pulsates but the truck feels like it is running a square tire on that corner when not braking. It wobbles up and down with speed. It doesn't do it till after a couple miles of braking and fades as rotors cool down. That corner starts smoking with a red hot rotor when I stop. The patriot did the same thing and needed caliper, pad, and rotor.

the pulsating I got but the up and down wobble was odd.

img-0214_orig.jpg

What is weird is that the pedal pulsates but the truck feels like it is running a square tire on that corner when not braking. It wobbles up and down with speed. It doesn't do it till after a couple miles of braking and fades as rotors cool down. That corner starts smoking with a red hot rotor when I stop. The patriot did the same thing and needed caliper, pad, and rotor.

the pulsating I got but the up and down wobble was odd.

You may have a seized caliper or check-valving hose.

Test drove a jeep cherokee years ago, Got it off the lot it was gutless, made it about a mile before it was shaking so bad you couldn't drive it. pulled over and then the smoke rolled.

Their "tech" just put new brakes on it.

It happens

10w30 works better.

My truck has a brake oiling feature built in, it slowly seeps gear oil onto the rotors to prevent the flash rust. i Just have to keep the diff topped up every few months. Chrysler engineers are geniuses.

You may have a seized caliper or check-valving hose.

Looks like it. Probably will just swap it all out on both sides and throw on some Akebono pads for a peace of mind. Whatever pad is on there wasn't that great when hauling compost last summer.

Looks like it. Probably will just swap it all out on both sides and throw on some Akebono pads for a peace of mind. Whatever pad is on there wasn't that great when hauling compost last summer.

I'll put money on a stuck caliper or swollen hose.

Went through that shit with the excursion last year. The cruise doesn't work and the usual driver has a bum right leg so typically used left foot on accelerator. The top of his shoe catches the brake pedal just enough to drag a bit and cook the seals in the caliper and and or the grease out of the sliders. Got stuck driving it for hours with it pulling to the right and shaking like a fiend for a few miles after applying the brakes. Only on the passenger side front and back calipers.

...blah blah...and makes the pedal pulsate so bad you can barely keep your feet on it.

OP and his sister don't realize that white line fever is now braille for blind drivers-

I’ve had rotors that have cracked along cooling fins. As they heat up, they separate more.

Anyone ever have seized brakes that wobbled so bad that the dash looks like it is going to break off?

Yes. It was so bad, to a point I consider it unsafe to drive! any slight application to the brake pedal, HOLD ON! Truck violently hopping around.

97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. My memory is vague. As best as I can remember, it primarily was from rear brakes. I believe it was from the infamous "GM 1-Ton wheel cylinder upgrade" (part# 37337). I got it fixed via vehicle specific wheel cylinders and new drums/shoes (just in case) and the problem went away.

I also had a drama with wheel cylinders, again, in same truck, even. One of wheel cylinder's 1 of 2 pistons seized. It wasn't old by any means, either. Shockingly on how bad that one tiny seized piston reduced my truck's brake performance.

Yes. It was so bad, to a point I consider it unsafe to drive! any slight application to the brake pedal, HOLD ON! Truck violently hopping around.

97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. My memory is vague. As best as I can remember, it primarily was from rear brakes. I believe it was from the infamous "GM 1-Ton wheel cylinder upgrade" (part# 37337). I got it fixed via vehicle specific wheel cylinders and new drums/shoes (just in case) and the problem went away.

I also had a drama with wheel cylinders, again, in same truck, even. One of wheel cylinder's 1 of 2 pistons seized. It wasn't old by any means, either. Shockingly on how bad that one tiny seized piston reduced my truck's brake performance.

The Dodge 3/4 ton's from that era were famous for smoking the rear brakes if you did any towing and didn't have stellar trailer brakes. The cure was to do a swap to disc's.

Top Back Refresh