What's new

[Boston accent] That’s a big snappah [\Boston accent]

rugger

TheOrginalMiataGuy
Member Number
Loc
Roanoke, VA
Dang. That’s a big turtle - 124 lbs. I’ve probably only seen one half that size. He was rescued out of a pond.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...apping-turtle-rescued-mississippi/3232707001/

0F0E4682-6330-477E-A7E4-684CF3D1614C.jpeg

Why in the name of all things reasonable would you rescue that?!

Endangered species, and they are a highly regarded animal In MS. They do a great job of keeping rotting flesh out of waterways.

They didn’t mention age but I wouldn’t be surprised to find out that he’s as old as me at 47 years.

That's a big turtle. I wonder what the over/under on fingers and toes he has removed is. I'm gonna say three.

And, we need less pics of that chick in front and more of the one in the back to the left.:smokin:

wow? I guess they are protected down there? They are doing DNA testing to determine where to release it into the wild again which seem like a huge waste of resources.

Montana consider snapping turtles to be invasive species.

wow? I guess they are protected down there? They are doing DNA testing to determine where to release it into the wild again which seem like a huge waste of resources.

They may be invasive there. They are native in MS.

Grew up with a large conservation pond behind our house. They'd come lay eggs in our yard. Cool to watch. We'd have to scoot them out of the road with a shovel almost daily.

Last edited:
I've heard they can clean a protes...um deceased person to nothing in a very short time.

When I was a kid, I remember the Memphis Zoo having an alligator snapping turtle from the Mississippi River, that was roughly 1/3 the size of a VW Beetle, and over a century old.

I've come across quite a few in the wild, caught a few fishing, mostly common snappers and sliders, but a handful of alligator snappers, thankfully I've never caught anything near that big.

I did hook something one night, catfishing, I was in a local ~30 year old, municipal reservoir, bottom fishing in 10-15' deep stumpy, dead flooded trees, with frozen shrimp as bait. I hooked something, and fought it for 30-45 min, before my braided line snapped. I don't know what it was, could have been a big ass catfish, but I figured it was a big ass turtle.

Fair enough, crazy ass big bitey critter. I'll take furry land based bitey critters over that bugger any day!

same, idk if i would ever swim in those areas

fawk fish with teeth, snapping turtles and gators, nope nope nope

Alligator or Common? Cos the commons are dime a dozen and the alligators are considered a threatened species.

That's a pretty good one for sure. I've seen a couple that size in the ponds or ditches in SC. I remember one monster alligator snapper when I was a kid...It was bigger than a car tire (at least in my mind as a 10 year old at the time.)

Used to see gator snappers all the time at the bayou I grew up around. I don't think ive seen one since HS, just regulars.

They're really not as mean as they look. I mean sure, if you grab one you'll probably become an amputee... but if you're cool they'll pretty much leave you alone.

Saw one a little bigger than that at a exhibit in a mall in Chicago several years ago. They claimed it had a civil war era musket ball embedded in its shell that put it close to 200 years old. Not sure if bullshit or not.

Everything I see a snapper in the river it steals my damn minnow. They'll just hold on to you drag them up, stare at you, and let go of the hook making off with the bait. I swear they just like to screw with me wondering how I'll get the hook out.

Top Back Refresh