What's new

Borgson box upgrade experience?

Seabass

Member Number
I was originally planning on adding ram assist to my 2nd gen 2500 when I do the axle swap. I intend on running hydroboost so there's a bit of a concern about the hydroboost flowing enough. The borgson box option would probably cost more but have a lot fewer moving parts. Anyone on here done it and have great things to say about it?

Pass. Its a quicker ratio box, but I didnt like it. Its also the samr size as the stock box. The sector shaft deflected when turning the wheels (cummins, stock size wheels, 1997 dually).

I ended up selling it, and getting the XD box thats for 2012 trucks, from PSC performance. It is a much larger box. Much much bigger sector shaft. That was a legit box. Save your money and drop the 695 on that.

Edit: yes the new boxes are a different bolt pattern, I had one for an actual 2012 model, holes are a little off. What PSC does, I think, is get untapped cores, and drills taps them for 2nd gen pattern, and includes frame spacers. Legit box, properly done. I got the version that fits a bigger pitman. They also have one thats cut down to fit the 2nd gen pitman.

Last edited:
you could send your hydrobooster unit to Vanco to have it 'hi-flowed' which flows more fluid to 'feed' a ram without slowing down the steering too much - have one going into my ram-assisted 02 Dakota. Also consider having PSC rebuild/'hi-flow' your gearbox too for the same basic results. It all add up to awesome brakes and steering

I am running one on my 96 2500 cummins truck along with their pump (40k miles on parts in question). Its superior to the factory box by a long shot but still doesn't perform like steering in a newer rig. If your going to replace it plan on do a steering shaft as well. Everything taken into account, I would buy one again, the quality of construction far exceeds most rebuilt units.

Decent box IMHO - its really a later silverado box that's adapted. Modify your aftermarket frame brace to fit. Geno's garage is one of the last places still selling it.

Pass. Its a quicker ratio box, but I didnt like it. Its also the samr size as the stock box. The sector shaft deflected when turning the wheels (cummins, stock size wheels, 1997 dually).

I ended up selling it, and getting the XD box thats for 2012 trucks, from PSC performance. It is a much larger box. Much much bigger sector shaft. That was a legit box. Save your money and drop the 695 on that.

I’m the one who bought it from you.

The Borgeson steering box is easily the best single mod I’ve ever done to the steering. Night and day difference. Great power assist, responsiveness, and don’t take so many turns to steer.
No comment on XD box, other than I’d probably recommend to whoever looking at Borgeson to look elsewhere, for ones that’s more readily available.

Ohh.. I was wondering what happened to it..damn memory.

you didnt think lock to lock was too fast, and too sensitive keeping in a straight line?

then again my truck might have been just cursed.

you didnt think lock to lock was too fast, and too sensitive keeping in a straight line?

then again my truck might have been just cursed.

This is where I think not enough caster. Caster and toe should keep the straight line; not the box's job on straight/flat road.

This is buddy's 1st "Borgeson' we re-installed a few years ago (2nd truck for the box). He's onto his 2nd box now almost 10 years later. Bumper is C-channel. Lots of road miles.

Attachments

• IMG_20171228_160525.jpg
    IMG_20171228_160525.jpg
    821.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20171227_213345.jpg
    IMG_20171227_213345.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20171230_141053.jpg
    IMG_20171230_141053.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41
This is where I think not enough caster. Caster and toe should keep the straight line; not the box's job on straight/flat road.

the next thing on the list was alignment, but I sold the truck before I took it in

Another vote for PSC box. Turning my 37 with ease and drop pitman arm from 2012 2500 works great with my lift and T style steering 👍

Top Back Refresh