What's new

Boots! work boots

The only non $$$ boot I've found that fit me well are keens. I'm a buyer for life.

I switch between Keens and Merrells depending on what is available in 14EE.

Last 3 pairs have been Keens. Awesome warranty. Just send a pic of the problem and a pic of receipt and they give you a code for their web site for full value :smokin:

Keen Tucson steel toe. These were basically their hiking boots with a steel toe. I don't know WTF they stopped making them, I went out and bought a few pair to stockpile.

Superfeet insoles make everything better.

Last edited:
Save yourself some heartache and get yourself a boot/glove dryer
dDdOlZsm.jpg

My feet never stop sweating so this thing is a life saver

i considered that but didnt want to run an extension cord to it and two pairs of boots was cheaper long term

I switch between Keens and Merrells depending on what is available in 14EE.

Last 3 pairs have been Keens. Awesome warranty. Just send a pic of the problem and a pic of receipt and they give you a code for their web site for full value :smokin:

That sounded good, until I read that their warranty is only one year. How many factory problems are there in 12 months? :confused:

"Defects in original, unaltered, and unmodified materials and workmanship for one year from the date of purchase."

I do like that toe rand, though.

1009173_P_PDP.jpg?sw=700&sh=700&sm=fit.jpg

How are you ruining them? Is it chemicals eating them away, or just wear and tear?

Yes

Both. Im a field mechanic so mud, engineered mud. Any fluid a vehicle has in it...welding and torching shit. the toes wear out and its done, just the leather i know i can get them recapped but the leather behind were it gets capped goes before i can get them capped.

I thought I remembered you did oil related shit. That “mud” is nasty and probably why you are killing boots that quick. I wouldn’t recommend any of the handmade ones unless you have a foot or back problem that they would alleviate.

Like I said, my issues with thorogood were most likely caused by my fat assedness. If you aren’t a lardass like me, I imagine you’ll be very happy with them. The keens seem to be very well liked here too. The pair I have are a hiking boot I wear outside of work, so I don’t know how their work boots hold up, but they are the most comfortable factory made boots I’ve worn. I don’t think you can really go wrong with either brand.

I looked at the Nicks thats just not for me too pricey. For a boot i dont know is going to last more than a year. As far as lard ass..no but im just a big guy. 6'4" 225 lbs (probably 240 is now cause winter)

Chippewa super loggers for the last 25 years. I can get 10-13 months out of a pair. Usually have three pairs in rotation. Mink oil and a boot dryer in the winter. I haven’t been denied any warranty claims in the few times I have requested one.

Having worn them for 21 years, you're full of shit.
Those boots are designed to meet the bare minimum standards at the cheapest price pointv

So we're in agreement then?

I didn't say they were nice. I said they do their job and do it at a good price.

I bought a pair of Redwing boots last year. I wear a 4E wide boot and Redwing has them but they are comfy to wear even with there stock insert. They have a different one if you have higher arches these are steel tool with reinforced toe and heal. I oil them once a month just to keep the leather healthy.

Timberland pros or bust. Make sure to go get fitted first if you're buying online as they have different sizing than other boots, same with their shoes.

On my second pair of their "Resistor" boots. Wore the first pair for 6 years. Only bought new ones because my back was sore (wasn't the boots) and they went on sale for $149.

You can't go wrong with thorogood. I recently tried some Carolinas and really like them. Super comfortable and they were cheaper than the thorogoods. If you are in the mud alot don't get the wedge flat sole it sucks in the mud and snow. They both make a logger style heal that should work better for you.

At work I’m on concrete and don’t need steel toes. Went through several pairs of cheap boots, then Red Wings and a few pairs of Irish Setters before trying a pair of Keen Pittsburgh - cheaper, more comfortable and lasted longer. Last December I got my 3rd pair which turned out defective (inner liner came loose in February) and they covered them under warranty no problem - decided to try out the Keen MtVernon boot and nearing a year later I gotta say these are probably the best boots I’ve owned, will be getting another pair

You can't go wrong with thorogood. I recently tried some Carolinas and really like them. Super comfortable and they were cheaper than the thorogoods. If you are in the mud alot don't get the wedge flat sole it sucks in the mud and snow. They both make a logger style heal that should work better for you.

Awe damn that's a selling point for me, the flat bottom, the most comfortable shoes I have are flat bottom

My local boot store sells thorogood and keen. Im about to head over there and try on some boots

Awe damn that's a selling point for me, the flat bottom, the most comfortable shoes I have are flat bottom

My local boot store sells thorogood and keen. Im about to head over there and try on some boots

I agree I switched to the wedge years ago and won't go back to anything else.

I can't do the steel/composition toe thing being a heavy equipment mechanic either. I spend way to much time crouched down working on stuff to have the edges digging into the tops of my foot all day. Depending on the jobsite sometimes I'll just wear my hiking boots. Currently rocking Timberland PRO's but they are on their way out.....

I work in ground stabilization ( lime ) and I've yet to find work boots that aren't trashed before the season is up , subbed.

Hey, I got a bunch of rocky clay that turns to soup every spring thaw.
Would doing the whole deal of rototilling in quicklime and compacting it actually help, or does the lime bond get broken up when the ground freezes?
I don't ever see any soil stabilization projects around here (that aren't just a bunch of layers of fabric) and can't find anything about freeze/thaw on google is why I ask.

Has anyone ever dropped anything on their toes while wearing steel toes? I don’t think I ever have. It seems like shit knows your toes are protected and finds it’s way a couple of inches further up your foot and crunches metatarsals instead.

I never had a problem dropping anything on my feet until I started wearing steal toes. I had some composite toe boots, the composite was just big enough to be a joke. I wear metatarsal now, and every time a 3 pounder lands on my foot, I'm glad I do. Also keeps me from changing laces every week.

That’s pretty gay. I’m right there with you though, if I don’t need them I’m not wearing them. Hell, I pretty much only wear them when the chainsaw is out anymore.

I should have expanded i wear comp toe boots

I can't do the steel/composition toe thing being a heavy equipment mechanic either. I spend way to much time crouched down working on stuff to have the edges digging into the tops of my foot all day. Depending on the jobsite sometimes I'll just wear my hiking boots. Currently rocking Timberland PRO's but they are on their way out.....

Company policy..got to...i did make it 6 hrs into tuesday last week in slip on tennis shoes before someone noticed. Thats what allowed me to narrow it down to my ankle issue being a boot issue.

i can kneel and bend my toe at all with steel toe..i make due were i can

I've been searching for a good moc toe, crepe sole boot. Was set on going Thorogood. But then I ran across the youtube channel Rose Anvil. He tears boots apart and reviews build quality.
The new Whites Perry seem like the best. On Whites website they suggest ordering a half to whole size smaller than you normally wear.
Anyone got any personal opinion/info on these boots?

I've been searching for a good moc toe, crepe sole boot. Was set on going Thorogood. But then I ran across the youtube channel Rose Anvil. He tears boots apart and reviews build quality.
The new Whites Perry seem like the best. On Whites website they suggest ordering a half to whole size smaller than you normally wear.
Anyone got any personal opinion/info on these boots?

Considering the price I would call them and see who sells them close to you. Go there and have them measure you for the right boot (or even better try some one). I know all of my friends who are ex- forest service firefighters own a pair of the smoke jumpers and they never wore them out, even with 5+ summers of firefighting.

One of my coworkers runs the Thorogood's like you are looking at. and he gets a couple of years out of them as a supervisor. Seems to like them well enough to be on his 3rd set.

i ended up with the thorogoods on a steel toe. The type of boot i wanted didnt have a comp toe option. intially i didnt like them as they felt tight in the correct size but after 2-3 days i realized that was the support i was missing from other boots. and im at the point where they feel more like tennis shoes than boots. I went with the wedge bottom.

Has anyone ever dropped anything on their toes while wearing steel toes? I don’t think I ever have. It seems like shit knows your toes are protected and finds it’s way a couple of inches further up your foot and crunches metatarsals instead.
Bringing up an older thread. I have. It was an angle iron 3x3x3/8 frame. It fell on the vertical leg right behind the steel toe. Foot turned purple and had a hairline fracture in one of the bones

I need to buy new boots. Been in the same model of redwings for 15 years. They are light and comfortable. But they are waterproof and the sole can’t be replaced, the stitching always comes apart in the same place(inner next to bottom loop). Went to boot barn and tried on
Thorogoods-felt hard, no cushion around top
Carolina- hard, no cushion, heavy
3 others I don’t remember which. None felt good.
Danner and ariats felt “ok” both were ~$200. Same as the redwings I have. I need to have a 9” tall one because the 6” ones have no ankle support.
I walk around a lot all day. I go up and down ladders sometimes 30+ times a day in and out of engine rooms. A separate heel or whatever it’s called is needed. I don’t really “need” steel/composite toes but I might as well since I still do fab stuff at work.
I’d love slip ons but I’m too used to the ankle support

I went through a pair of work boots a year, worked around a lit of lime, ate the stitching.
I just got Carhardts, they were slipper comfortable out of the box, cheap leather would eventually crack about the year mark
Sprung for Redwings, never spent that kind of money on something like fancy boots, absolutely hated them, they are still sitting on the shelf.

I will be watching this..... I get longevity out of my Danner and Georgia boots, so the comfort goes away.... I need some insoles or maybe rebuilt soles!!!!!

Sprung for Redwings, never spent that kind of money on something like fancy boots, absolutely hated them, they are still sitting on the shelf.
Ugh. Same here. I work in an office and wear RedWings. Once these are trashed (I wear them for everything) I'm going back to Chipp's. My last pair lasted ten years and were super comfortable. I switched to RW because Chipps weren't made in USA anymore.

I’d love slip ons but I’m too used to the ankle support
Man, same here. I wanted to get some cowboy boots, but I can't do it. After lacing my ankles up for 15 years, I can have them floating around.

if anyone is looking for a slip on work boot, i have a brand new pair of Ariat Chelsea Carbon toe boots in size 12EE. Retail is about $170 and i'll let them go for $100 shipped.

I got them as a warranty replacement for a pair of boots they no longer make. the Arc falls into a weird place on my foot and they don't feel good. I have super weird arches so i can wear only a few different boots and i need to try on about 1000 pairs to find some that fit.

Turbo Chelsea CSA Waterproof Carbon Toe Work Boot

Top Back Refresh