What's new

bolt on shock mounts

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
My google fu is jacked today.
I added shock mounts to my car trailer a few years ago... Lower mounts were single sheer bent 1/4" welded to the bottom of the spring plate. Well, they finally failed.

So i'm looking for a bolt-on mount similar to the Ford Sterling axles that use a ubolt to clamp the mount to the axle. I can't seem to find crap.

Thought about just buying Ford mounts, but a) they are more $$ than I'd like and b) from what I can tell, sterlings are 3.5" tube diameter (my Dexter trailer axle is 3").

Anyone run across a similar clamp on style mount?

Looking at that setup it looks like it would be east to pick up some 3" U-bolts from McMaster Carr and make a plate to bolt a shock to

Issues with Lippert and Rusty’s are shock mount type (pin vs eye) and orientation.

I should have mentioned that in the OP. I don’t want to change upper mounts or shocks… would require ripping the bed off, cutting and welding….

welding to axle tube is doable but I’d prefer to avoid if possible.

If I have to go the welding route, I think some speedway motors adjustable coil over mounts are probably the most affordable/flexible approach.

Looking at that setup it looks like it would be east to pick up some 3" U-bolts from McMaster Carr and make a plate to bolt a shock to

I can get 4 Sterling mounts for $100 shipped from Walmart dot com… and I bolts for as low as $30 shipped. Making mounts is doable, but not sure I could do it for the price of the Sterling mounts (axle tube diameter issue notwithstanding).

???

4x 3" long scraps of 3/16x1 1/2 flat bar
drill bit
torch out the radius/angle (maybe torch the holes too if you're feeling up to it)

scab them on

doesn't seem like that competes in any way with spending $130 for something that you'll have to wait a week to find out that it won't work

4x 3" long scraps of 3/16x1 1/2 flat bar
drill bit
torch out the radius/angle (maybe torch the holes too if you're feeling up to it)

scab them on

doesn't seem like that competes in any way with spending $130 for something that you'll have to wait a week to find out that it won't work

Welded to axle tube or spring plate?

I’d really rather not weld to the tube. And I think I need the adjustability that a clamp on would offer to deal with some lack of math skills.

If I have to weld. I’ll either do some ruff stuff shock mounts and work on the geometry or something like these adjustable coil over mounts…

???

Might work with mods….

why not? they will always break between the spindle and the spring perch every time, no matter what you do in the middle

Laziness and hate welding overhead.

:flipoff2:

muffler clamps with a tab welded onto them?
that's honestly not a bad idea... at all.

after staring at things under the trailer for a few minutes, I decided easiest solution is a set of these universal coilover mounts. Bought the longer ones (cost me a whole $2 more for two sets) to add some flexibility.

Yes, I'll have to weld them on... No, I don't want to. But price ($58 shipped for two sets) is hard to beat.

1668970238466.png

take wheel off, weld through fender opening

this will be done from underneath. Not enough room in fender opening and no way to get both sides. Probably tack them in and throw the trailer up on jack stands to give some more room for final welding.

3" Exhaust clamp plus a 6" piece of 1.5x1.5x0.120" square tube.

Drill holes on one end of the tube to line up with the exhaust clamp holes. Opposite those holes, drill 1" holes to get a socket into.

On the other end of the tube, drill a hole horizontally for whatever size the shock bolt is. Chop out the top of the tube for a 1.25" window where the lower shock bushing sits.

This is assuming that your shocks have a 1.25" or less wide bushing. Adjust as needed for your dimensions.

Kits arrived with a “we’re sorry we damaged your package” sticker on the USPS envelope they were shipped in….

Made in China. Not horrible quality for the price. Should work out fine.

Attachments

• 762AE64F-F4FA-4982-B650-B41ADCA400F5.jpeg
    762AE64F-F4FA-4982-B650-B41ADCA400F5.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
My google fu is jacked today.
I added shock mounts to my car trailer a few years ago... Lower mounts were single sheer bent 1/4" welded to the bottom of the spring plate. Well, they finally failed.

So i'm looking for a bolt-on mount similar to the Ford Sterling axles that use a ubolt to clamp the mount to the axle. I can't seem to find crap.

Thought about just buying Ford mounts, but a) they are more $$ than I'd like and b) from what I can tell, sterlings are 3.5" tube diameter (my Dexter trailer axle is 3").

Anyone run across a similar clamp on style mount?
The ford axle is 1/2 true... it is ubolted on in the super duty trucks, esp 2011+ but there is a nub welded under the bracket that I assume an anti-rotation thing

Took a couple of hours to button this up today. Trailer has ~3.5“ of up travel metal to metal, 2” To bump stop. Set these up with more up travel than needed to account for axle swing. Should still be enough droop, but very easy to adjust if needed.

Not bad quality, overall. Price was right.

Attachments

• 0297B5B2-456E-420C-AE47-552ED6308F36.jpeg
    0297B5B2-456E-420C-AE47-552ED6308F36.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 04A04B41-609E-4229-BDD5-663B8FC7FC84.jpeg
    04A04B41-609E-4229-BDD5-663B8FC7FC84.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Top Back Refresh