What's new

Boar hunting, help

They are all domestic pigs that went feral, most generations ago. They do t do as well in cold climates so there is no real wild pig population in Pennsylvania. Those guys have been offering canned hunts forever.

A lot of people are going to hate what I am going to say but....I think Texas ruined pig hunting for the US. They turned it into a pay to hunt game and milked them for every penny they could get. If they were truly nuisance animals destroying land and crops, why would you charge people to kill them? I mean, would you expect people to pay to kill the cockroaches in your house? Landowners, farmers and ranchers have turned pigs into a cash cow. They get money from the Govt for crop/land damage and then turn around and charge people to kill their nuisance animals. As the pigs spread through the US, everyone else wants to get into the "free" money making game. I suspect there are very few landowners that would truly want them eliminated. Sure they will go on TV and piss and complain about the damage and the loss, but when people show up to "help" them out, it turns into "how much money you got?".

I am not upset with them for making money but don't go around claiming they are nuisance animals when you actively selling them and getting money on the backend from the govt. If they were truly a pest, they would have been eradicated by now and not taking over the entire US. You can go on YouTube and watch all the programs they use to manage their pig populations. Won't kill the piglets or want to castrate the males and let them grow so they can be ate later. What kind of nuisance animal have you ever seen that is part of a catch and release program? Not cockroaches, mice, rats, predators, we don't even do that with people. Well, until recently.

I have seen the same thing here in VA with coyotes. Sheep farmers on the news crying about the coyote population and the losses they suffer. They either won't permit hunting/trapping or want people to pay to kill their coyotes. I think it is facetious to ask people to pay you to help you out.

I may be wrong but I have following this since the 80's.

A lot of people are going to hate what I am going to say but....I think Texas ruined pig hunting for the US. They turned it into a pay to hunt game and milked them for every penny they could get. If they were truly nuisance animals destroying land and crops, why would you charge people to kill them? I mean, would you expect people to pay to kill the cockroaches in your house? Landowners, farmers and ranchers have turned pigs into a cash cow. They get money from the Govt for crop/land damage and then turn around and charge people to kill their nuisance animals. As the pigs spread through the US, everyone else wants to get into the "free" money making game. I suspect there are very few landowners that would truly want them eliminated. Sure they will go on TV and piss and complain about the damage and the loss, but when people show up to "help" them out, it turns into "how much money you got?".

I am not upset with them for making money but don't go around claiming they are nuisance animals when you actively selling them and getting money on the backend from the govt. If they were truly a pest, they would have been eradicated by now and not taking over the entire US. You can go on YouTube and watch all the programs they use to manage their pig populations. Won't kill the piglets or want to castrate the males and let them grow so they can be ate later. What kind of nuisance animal have you ever seen that is part of a catch and release program? Not cockroaches, mice, rats, predators, we don't even do that with people. Well, until recently.

I have seen the same thing here in VA with coyotes. Sheep farmers on the news crying about the coyote population and the losses they suffer. They either won't permit hunting/trapping or want people to pay to kill their coyotes. I think it is facetious to ask people to pay you to help you out.

I may be wrong but I have following this since the 80's.
I've heard the same story about prairie dog hunts. Went from ranchers happy to let you kill them to $x per person per day.

I've heard the same story about prairie dog hunts. Went from ranchers happy to let you kill them to $x per person per day.
Up here it's coyotes and squaw fish. We don't have to pay to get them but we do get paid for their carcasses.

Up here it's coyotes and squaw fish. We don't have to pay to get them but we do get paid for their carcasses.
Had to google Squaw Fish. Pike Minnow. Thought it might have been a reference to bad pussy or similar. :grinpimp: This place really skews my outlook on life.

Top Back Refresh