What's new

Blue Jeep build

Got both kinds, but the two cats will only let me eat what falls out of their bowls..............................so, pretty much dry and hard. Might be better if I mix it with some lawn clippings.

Guess beggars can't be choosers... 🤣

I lasted about a minute:flipoff2:

I called the Indonesian consulate in Houston this morning and they said "We no issue visa further notice". So, I guess I'm still sitting at home eating cat food for a while longer.

Guess things changed in a week. Mailing off my passport and other shit for a Visa tomorrow. Now everything is rush rush like always. Never been to Batam Indonesia before, that will be neat. After that, it's a boat, water and platforms, just like every other oil field in the world.

Bought two masks for traveling, packages say "made in Guatemala" so they're probably pre-infused with the rona.:eek:

Didn't know you worked in the oil & gas. Any reason you aren't staying on land?

I work offshore as a saturation diving supervisor. My job is to listen to the divers complain for 8hr bell runs and try to keep them from killing themselves. Some divers are more work then others.

So I ask again sir ... how long's the gig? Gonna be gone end of September?

Not sure, but I'd doubt it. Job is slated for 4 weeks, 2 week quarantine, tentative flying out on the 19th. That brings us to the last day of Sept.

Nothing ever works out as planned, so I'd say I wont be back till sometime in Oct.

This company has a job going on in Vietnam also for the same company, phase 1 ended last week, phase 2 starts in 6 weeks, customer wanted to keep the whole dive crew in hotels for the 6 weeks at 25% pay. Dive crew said, "Fuck you, make it 75% and you can reach us in the bar". The dive crew came home last week. Point is, there is also a phase 2 of the job I'm going to, so there's no telling how things will play out.

PM me an address and I'll just send you the carpet.

Pretty sure he mentioned being a diver. Kinda hard to do on land. :laughing:

Would make my job easier. No need to monitor the divers PPO2, CO2, hot water temp, comms, lights, cameras, depth, excursion limits, locator beacons, where the diving bell is, divers getting smashed by 50t spool pieces coming down on the crane that they can't see, or just care about them in general.:flipoff2:I could just stand next to them yelling "hurry the fuck up Hand, get that flange done, I'm ready to start counting flats".

I always find it funny when I see pipeline work done on land. 12 guys working on it, ditch walls all shored up as per OSHA, standing on dry ground with perfect visibility, crane driver can usually see what's going on.

Divers do the same thing by themselves in a shitty ditch cut into mud with zero shoring, slogging up to their waist in mud, zero visibility, crane driver doesn't see shit and comms from the diver to the crane guy go through me over a radio, that 50t spool piece is hanging off a crane on a moving boat so it's jumping up and down and making a figure 8 due to the boats footprint. So the diver (usually one and sometimes two) are trying to beat drift pins into a pair of flanges where one of the flanges is trying to kill you and you can't see it. If there is any kind of current, it pulls on your dive umbilical for the entire 6hr lock out trying to pull you off the worksite, so you're fighting that while trying to swing a 20lb maul for 6hrs without a break.
Oh, and lets not forget the occasional car size grouper trying to swallow the divers head, Moray eel's wanting to curl up around you because of the hot water suit then attack when you push them away, Lion fish stinging the fuck out of you, poisonous sea snakes that go berserk if you touch them, or 10' sharks that run you over going after the smaller fish that the light on your dive helmet attracts. Sometimes you just tell topside to turn off your light and work in the dark, if you can't see them, they're not there right.

And sometimes you have crystal clear water and a hard bottom with unlimited visibility. Those are the fun jobs.

Land guys don't know how good they have it. They should at least have packs of wild dogs randomly attacking them........just to make things fun.:flipoff2:

This was dive control on my last job in Egypt . That's not me on the panel, he was a douche bag Britt. I took the pic and was most likely on the internet buying Jeep parts.

IMG_20191124_121548.jpg

To make sense out of the picture.

The 6 monitors right in front of his face...........the top left monitor that's split 4 ways has the bellman in the top left ( he has a blue rescue harness on), bottom left shows the bottom of the dive bell and the standoff stage under it, top right is the top of the bell looking up towards the bottom of the boat, and the bottom right is looking inside the transfer lock ( part of the living quarters) where the bell is mated back up to the sat system to swap dive teams.

Bottom left of the 6 monitors shows the feed from the ROV, it wasnt in the water when this pic was taken

Top center monitor is the nav screen. Shows a outline of the vessel ( where the crane tub is, working tuggers, bell moon pool), existing pipelines on bottom, what we're working on, the platform if we were near one. I use the nave screen to pull measurements and bearings for vessel moves, crane moves (allow me to tell the crane drive what boom radius to be on. It shows me where the diver beacons are. Usually have a beacon on the crane headache ball so I know where it is and it's depth.

Bottom center monitor is just telemetry for the bell and divers.

Top right monitor is diver #1 hat camera. He's in the water in the pic, so that's what the visibility was. He seems to be looking at diver #2 who is in the bottom right of that feed at the tool basket.

Bottom right monitor is diver #2 hat camera. He is at the tool basket. So diver #1 is behind him.

Gauge looking things with the green digital readouts above the monitors are pneumofathometer gauges. Long word for depth gauges. Diver 1, diver 2, bell external, bell internal. Looks like the divers were just above 70m depth, or 230ish feet.

Moving to the right of the 6 monitors. all those with the digital readouts and the blue shit you can't read, is all the analyzers for the divers and bell gas/atmosphere. Top row is the divers breathing gas (looks like they are breathing 7.77% O2), middle is the bell atmosphere, bottom is the reclaim gas. All exhaled gas from the divers is sucked back up to the reclaim towers on the boat, scrubbed of the CO2, O2 added as needed and sent back to the divers. This ain't SCUBA, there are no bubbles.

The monitor above that stuff is looking down the working side of the vessel. Don't know how good it will show up, but you can see the 150t knuckle boom crane sticking out over the side.

The monitor to the right of that that you can't really see, shows the back deck of the boat from different angles. So I know when the deck monkeys are getting shit ready to go over the side.

All the tescom regulators and gauges below the monitor you can't see are for the reclaim system and gas supplies. There are three independent sources of breathing mix coming into the panel. The reclaim part sets the back pressure so you don't suck the divers eyes out, also has control of the O2 being added back into the system.

Hiding behind the goofy bastard in the pic are all the comms. Diver comms are all round robin, so the divers can actually talk to each other. There's a phone, radio and clearcoms to the crane. Radio to the deck monkeys. Clearcoms, radio and phone to the bridge of the vessel.

As soon as the bell hits the water, nothing happens on the boat without the dive supervisor approval, even the captain has to call down before moving the boat. Sounds great, but it makes me responsible for anything that happens too.

So all you gotta do, is watch every single one of those monitors and gauges at the same time , while making sure the divers have something breathable to breath, keep the crane driver from smashing the divers, the boat drivers from dragging everything across bottom or smashing into the platform and blowing us up......................and get the retarded divers to do something productive at the same time.

Welcome to my world

Pretty sure he mentioned being a diver. Kinda hard to do on land. :laughing:

all you guys think I can read or remember stuff after the 20ish years of ice hockey and the amount of beer I drink.:beer:

Kevin, sounds like you have a particular job, is it hit or miss when we dont have a virus going around or can you find work anytime?

all you guys think I can read or remember stuff after the 20ish years of ice hockey and the amount of beer I drink.:beer:

Kevin, sounds like you have a particular job, is it hit or miss when we dont have a virus going around or can you find work anytime?

Pre virus things were looking good. Then Saudi and Russia decided to flood the market to kill off the frackers in the US, then came the double whammy and the virus hit. I certainly can't claim to understand how all the pieces of the puzzle fit together. I always say it depends on the price of oil, but I also know that's just a small part of it. 99% of the work I do is on new projects, where the years of planning, drilling new wells, building and installing new platforms and laying the new pipelines has already taken place. So whenever they actually pulled the trigger on the project, 5-6 years has passed by the time I get there to connect the pieces together. I guess they just roll the dice on the supply/demand and realize they'll get 20-30 years to suck money out of the ground.

Honestly, fracking is what makes my work slow down. That's my PC way of saying it. I'm glad they're working though. No ill will from me. It's just anything that lowers the price of oil and appears that it will keep the price low for the long term will slow the start of new projects. This goes for the frackers too.

For me, I'm a whore, I can go anywhere in the world to work. When Saudi started flooding the market, I was working in Saudi and they had billions of dollars of work going on. That work would have kept on rolling.............then came the covid.

Luckily, I make a pretty good dayrate when working. I just get antsy if I sit on my ass for 6 months.........like I have now.

Looks like Monday will be will be a long one. 14hr flight from Dallas to Qatar, 8 fucking hours of ass time, then a 9 hr flight to Jakarta. Lots of facing east:grinpimp:

My last two bypass shocks and all 4 bump stops showed up yesterday. That was a nice surprise.

Plus two hurricanes heading your way.

Yep, just had to have back to back storms roll in. I fly out of Lafayette at 0600 tomorrow, so I "should" miss it all..................................my two cats however, will have front row seats of everything from the carport.:smokin:

I've seen choppers all day flying back and forth from the gulf bringing folks in from the oil fields.

First storm, Marco, looks like it will pass just northeast of me, so I don't care about that one. That Laura storm looks like it will pass just to the west of me, like Ritta did in '05 just after Katrina. That puts me on the bad side of it. But, I've been through a few of these things. If it isn't a cat4 when it makes landfall, my place will be fine.

Apparently I only had a few downed tree branches from the storms. Power only out for 24hrs. No storm surge.

Dodged that bullet.

Getting a 4th covid test in less than a week tomorrow. Kind of stupid.

They were playing with the big block on the crane today.
Hell of a headache ball.

IMG_20200830_163847.jpg

IMG_20200830_163211.jpg

Last edited:
Holy fuck, that is pretty cool shit right there. Yeah I just caught up after a month. Get home and do something to the jeep.

Plus two hurricanes heading your way.

Apparently there's just been a third hurricane to roll over my house since I've been gone. That's just dandy. Still have another 6-7 days before I get back home. Decompressing the divers from -426ft and sailing north from Bali to some place called Balikpapan. I actually have no fucking idea where I am right now. I just see water.

Reactions: Cod
3 weeks ago you had 6-7 days before you get back home. What the hell, did you fall off that platform?

3 weeks ago you had 6-7 days before you get back home. What the hell, did you fall off that platform?

Falling off would mean I was outside working........I try to keep that to a minimum.:flipoff2: I got home on the 18th. Heading back to Indonesia in a couple weeks.

I ordered most of the little parts I could think of that I need to finish this thing. Still need axle shafts, bulk hose to build the hoses, paint and swaybars.

Just finishing up the passenger side sliders/fenders right now.

Got a 4" cobra head to make a tight 90* turn in my intake tube right by the front shocks. It's upstream of the MAF, so I got a alum MAF tube that has a section of honeycomb to straighten up the air flow. Very happy with how that turned out.

I'll try to get some new pics up today.

I do like how this thread has turned into Crazy Chit That People Do On Big Boats In The Ocean though. Made me realize my job is boring as fawk.

He's always throwing his job in our faces, "Excuse me guys I have to travel around the world, I'll be back in 3 Months....until then ta ta!"

What else do ya expect from damn buggy builders....... :stirthepot:

Yes, I failed. I did bring my camera in the house last night so I could post some pics this morning.

Aaaand then this morning I wake up to an email saying work wants me to fly back to Indonesia on Monday. Last I had heard it was going to be the 20th. I need a negative covid test in hand to enter Indonesia. I was in the process of doing this fucking crazy physical the customer wants everyone to do. I went for the treadmill stress EKG test yesterday.................and what did they do? Nothing, except for the baseline EKG and gave me another appointment for Monday. Wasn't a happy camper. So it looks like I'll just have to blow that part off now and cross my fingers that this physical is just on of those things nobody ever ends up looking at.

So now I'm off to pick up the results of the rest of that physical (except for the treadmill) and get a covid PCR swab test so I have a stupid piece of paper to show when I land.

I'll try to get some new pics up today.

:flipoff2:

Yes, I failed. I did bring my camera in the house last night so I could post some pics this morning.

Aaaand then this morning I wake up to an email saying work wants me to fly back to Indonesia on Monday. Last I had heard it was going to be the 20th. I need a negative covid test in hand to enter Indonesia. I was in the process of doing this fucking crazy physical the customer wants everyone to do. I went for the treadmill stress EKG test yesterday.................and what did they do? Nothing, except for the baseline EKG and gave me another appointment for Monday. Wasn't a happy camper. So it looks like I'll just have to blow that part off now and cross my fingers that this physical is just on of those things nobody ever ends up looking at.

So now I'm off to pick up the results of the rest of that physical (except for the treadmill) and get a covid PCR swab test so I have a stupid piece of paper to show when I land.

:flipoff2:

Make sure to give the nurse a good solid cough when you turn your head.

18 pages of results from that stupid physical. Fucking retarded. I literally sit on my ass to do my job.

Anyway, this time at home was pretty much a waste as far as the Jeep goes. Got a bunch of parts, didn't get to do much with them.

At least the passenger side sliders and removable fenders are done. Also got the passenger rear door trimmed, welded back together and smoothed out. Made a template off the driver side door so I could knock it out way faster...........and they actually look the same.

Template showing how much to trim off the door so it doesn't hit the fender. Obviously it only takes about half that amount to clear the tube part, the rest needs to go to clear the sheet metal part of the fender.

DSC01343.JPG

The actual door seal clears fine, just a tiny bit of contact. So all I'm cutting off is the overhang past the seal.

DSC01341.JPG

DSC01342.JPG

All trimmed and welded back together.

DSC01344.JPG

Final product. Sure looks goofy without the big ass tire there. Not so sure it doesn't still look goofy with the tire there. But it is what it is.

DSC01355.JPG

DSC01358.JPG

DSC01356.JPG

Top Back Refresh