What's new

Blue Jeep build

The other thing you could try if your gaps are super tight is just purging and seaming with the tig torch without adding filler.

The other thing you could try if your gaps are super tight is just purging and seaming with the tig torch without adding filler.

I did try that a little bit. While it looked sweet on the outside, I had trouble getting consistent full penetration. There would always be a spot or two on the inside where I could still see that line that tells you the ID hadn't been fused together.

I get it on the welds, as I too wish I could weld like some of the guys on here, but I'll live with my "some look awesome and some don't, but they are all sound welds world" cuz a lot of my welds are happening when on the vehicle.

Naturally I didn't leave on Monday. It got pushed back to Friday (tomorrow). At least I have tickets now, so I'm up to 99% sure it will happen.
While I was home Monday and not flying across the world, I got a call that my new truck had arrived at the dealership.

So, after 7 months of waiting, I went and picked up my new tow pig.

IMG_20220726_165353.jpg

Has a whole 77 miles on it now.

Wow 7 months--sure is nice, gotta love the cummins!!!

The wait sure got annoying. After about 5 months I just stopped thinking about it. Damn thing was built in 4 months, then sat for the next 3 at the rail yard in Mexico waiting for a train ride to the States.

After having it for a few days now, I've forgotten about the wait. Funny how that works.:flipoff2:
It's my first diesel and first dually, so I really wasn't sure what to expect.

Definitely feels like a truck, but not harsh. Way more quiet than I expected. Seems kinda sporty too. When you stomp on it, it moves.

Should haul a gooseneck trailer with a 5th wheel camper and the jeep on it just fine.

Now, my son has 30 mins to get here to take me to the airport. We'll see how accurate his clock is today:lmao:

Should haul a gooseneck trailer with a 5th wheel camper and the jeep on it just fine.

I'm sure you've done months of research on this sir but best be careful with this set-up.

Shortbed duallys are interestin'. Plenty of weight capacity but not much room.

The gooseneck ball will be centered over the rear axle which is no big deal. But then puttin' the 5th wheel camper over the gooseneck is gonna put the front of the camper right next to your cab ... and maybe into it.

They make special hitches for towin' 5th wheels with shortbeds to kick the camper back on the truck but I ain't never seen nuthin' of the sort for a gooseneck. Maybe lengthen the goosneck frame or might have to leave some space between the front of the RV and the framework for the gooseneck so the front edge of the camper is further back from the cab. That gap might be a great place to fab up a big-ass toolbox for extra storage.

Make sure the black and grey tanks on the 5th wheel are above the bottom of the RV frame or that's gonna be a problem. Framerails obviously need to sit flat on the deck of the gooseneck once you yank the axles off the RV. Some of them tanks hang down pretty low. Then just cut a hole in the gooseneck deck so the piping/dump valves for the tanks go below the gooseneck deck. Watch out for your max height to the top of the AC on the RV once it's on the gooseneck.

I used a monster Lance cabover camper on my old set-up. Fabbed up a framework for the camper to set on so the overhang of the camper set flat on the deck. That put the cabover portion of the camper way above the gooseneck frame. We then spliced some metal into the vertical part of the gooseneck so the framework was taller and close to the camper ... and would then clear the pickup bed I had on the back of my Pete. Overall heigth was right at 13.5'. Sold ev'rythang in this picture many years ago ... includin' the house.

loaded trailer.JPG

Just some deep thoughts from a shallow mind for you to possibly ponder on while you're stuck on the boat.

Have fun.

Kowboy,

Everything you said is spot on to what I've been learning.
But I haven't really gone out measuring 5th wheels yet.

I did throw a tape on my buddies 40' toy hauler. If most 5th wheels have the same basic frame height, they would end up a foot taller sitting on a gooseneck trailer.
My buddies toy hauler would get a haircut at the first overpass.
He was saying that the non-toyhauler type generally have a lower roofline. I hope so.

I have a Demco sliding 5th wheel I don't need.

18k, I think.....brand damn new and only been hooked to once!!!

Might be a bit far though lol

I have a Demco sliding 5th wheel I don't need.

18k, I think.....brand damn new and only been hooked to once!!!

Might be a bit far though lol

Got to get the Jeep running first. That's priority one.

I do still have the small trailer I had been using for the Jeep and I can sleep in the back of the mega cab with a air mattress if need be. At least that would get me wheeling again.

How long is the 5th wheel?

Got to get the Jeep running first. That's priority one.

I do still have the small trailer I had been using for the Jeep and I can sleep in the back of the mega cab with a air mattress if need be. At least that would get me wheeling again.

How long is the 5th wheel?

I had a toy hauler, think it was 41ft from end to end but identified as a 35ft'r....it's 2022 it can identify shorter if it wants.

I have an 18 3500 SRW MegaCab bought new in 2019, I got the 18 at a good deal due to the 2019's getting a facelift, and yes you can sleep in the back, first Ram/Dodge for me for the last 30 years it's been F-250's.

Made it back home. Saudi in August was no joke. Spent way more time out on deck than I wanted to. Brutal heat and humidity that instantly sucks out your will to live.

Only ordered one thing for the Jeep while I was gone. Got a industrial vacuum pump so I can attempt to do vacuum infusion when I make the actual hood.

Need to head out to the shop and get started on welding up the headers first.

Oh, and my old cat died while I was gone. Old age finally caught up to him. Isn't going to be the same in the shop without him hanging out with me every day. Every time I'd head out to the shop, he'd be right there next to me.

I just got rid of my 18 mega cab dually. Great truck pulled a nice load without hesitation. I got rid of my 40' toy hauler and didnt really need the big truck anymore and fuel here is still way higher than average. New ecodiesel fits on my lift and almost 2x the fuel economy. First half ton I have ever had and was hoping I did not make a mistake but so far so good. Too bad about the cat.

I just got rid of my 18 mega cab dually. Great truck pulled a nice load without hesitation. I got rid of my 40' toy hauler and didnt really need the big truck anymore and fuel here is still way higher than average. New ecodiesel fits on my lift and almost 2x the fuel economy. First half ton I have ever had and was hoping I did not make a mistake but so far so good. Too bad about the cat.

I was driving a Tacoma when I got the mega cab dually. First time I drove it, I thought it should have red and green port and starboard lights on it. Felt like a barge.

Finally got a TC adapter that works between the 6l90 and Hero. My buddy ended up machining one out of 6061.

The factory GM adapter only hit 5 of the 6 studs on the TC. It does have other bolt holes that wold bolt to the GM TC. I want to use all 6 studs on the TC because not doing it is stupid.

I bought a adapter from AA for the 6l80/90, but it's 1.4" too short. There's not enough spline on the trans output to cut 1.4" off.

So, this is what I ended up with.

IMG_20221114_180517.jpg

IMG_20221114_135238.jpg

IMG_20221114_135231.jpg

IMG_20221114_175716.jpg

Exhaust is almost finished being fit up and tacked together. Running it as far back as I can, which means they end at the front of the rear wheel well openings. Just need to tack on the tips that will dump the exhaust down and out.
The timing will work out perfect. When I get the tips tacked on, that will be it for the argon bottle. Aaand, I managed to drop the tig torch today and broke the #12 Pyrex cup. All I had to replace it with was a little #8, which works for tacks, but I wouldn't want to run beads with it. So, while I wait to get the bottle filled, hopefully the new cups I ordered will show up.

This is basically what the exhaust consists of. This is the drivers side, pass side is a straight shot. Only thing missing is a little jog piece and 12" of straight tube after the muff.

IMG_20221106_153138.jpg

IMG_20221106_153147.jpg

I'll have to check my list, but I don't think there's anything else I need to do before I pull the body off for the last time.

The exhaust is turning out killer. Can't wait to hear it

Thank you Sir.

I really hope it's not too loud. I've always enjoyed driving it around town and it would suck if it made you want to wear earplugs. Loud when you mash the gas is ok, I just don't want it loud at idle and part throttle.

I got a quote from JetHot to have them ceramic coat the entire exhaust (inside/outside of headers, outside of rest of exhaust. $1200 for their #1200 coating with a titanium color top coat.

Thank you Sir.

I really hope it's not too loud. I've always enjoyed driving it around town and it would suck if it made you want to wear earplugs. Loud when you mash the gas is ok, I just don't want it loud at idle and part throttle.

I got a quote from JetHot to have them ceramic coat the entire exhaust (inside/outside of headers, outside of rest of exhaust. $1200 for their #1200 coating with a titanium color top coat.

Are you thinking about the jethot? I am thinking about having my system done, but I want to get out and beat on it a little bit before sending it out. I would hate to put serious coin into the coating, only to find my exhaust is too loud and I need to redo something.

Are you thinking about the jethot? I am thinking about having my system done, but I want to get out and beat on it a little bit before sending it out. I would hate to put serious coin into the coating, only to find my exhaust is too loud and I need to redo something.

Yes Jethot. Thought I said Jethot. I did say Jethot.:flipoff2:

I'm going to get it done before startup. Main reason is for the thermal protection. The headers are close to all kinds of things (hydroboost, bushing in a tube engine mounts, bushing in a tube cage tie-ins, UCA mounts). Other reason is that I really don't know what I can do if it's too loud. Other than get a different muffler that's the exact same size and shape.

On a side note, it just seems to me that to allow them to do the best job possible, sending them brand new clean material is key. I could be way off base with that.

Why didn't you say that.:flipoff2:

Yes. It costs what it costs. I need thermal protection, in this case it costs $1200.

I've already got over 3k in the exhaust system.
And probably pretty easy to get to the 3k mark with all you have in it too. Looks good!

Top Back Refresh