Latest posts

Black Hills 4 Wheelers

black hills trail guide?

chaplinfj60

Member Number
Loc
marshalltown iowa
good afternoon,
so a group of us from iowa would love to come out and do some of the trails out there but we all have buddies and our trailers are camper too so no way to trailer to each trail. i have heard there are some trails a person can drive to but no clue witch ones. any help in planning an trip out this way would be awesome

thanks

what time frame? There is a group running over memorial day weekend that you could tag along with? Trails don't open until May 13-14thish, if we don't get tons of rain before or right after then.

sometime mid summer to fall, again we are trying to figure this out and dont want to drive 10 hours each way just to run one trail, who know maybe we can drive buggies on the road or something.

most people camp around the Camp 5 area and spend 3-4 days just wheeling there. You are close and it's gravel roads to the trails from most of the campgrounds. Steel Wheel, Fish and Fry, Wild Bills are a couple that are popular and have good access.

Bogus Jim are has another grouping of trails but there is only a couple campgrounds close by, Whispering Pines is one but the number of trails is less.

Do you have plates on your rigs? If you don't I'm not sure I'd try driving on the roads. With the increased usage they are a bit heavier on road vehicle then they used to be. And to go from Camp 5 to Bogus Jim area is about 25-30 miles of pavement, around 45 mph (min speed I think). Normal speed limit is 55 mph.

Tback and Bikini are 2 excellent trails but they are off by themselves and might be a good last day trail if your still running. Load up camp, run these 2 and then head home. They are on the other end of our normal trail locations and it's 30 miles from the bogus jim area.

no plates i guess i could get them buttttt

i do like the idea of camp 5 if there is enough to keep us busy for 3 days that would be perfect. we all love to do hard core trails and see new trails is there a good map to use or does google have it?

Avenza you can get the forest service maps. I have a cross reference somewhere of the rock trail and FS numbers.
On the harder side there is:
Kong, Hal Johns (has something like normal 21 sections), Calamity (has hard spots towards the end) are the main ones.

Typically people will run like Kong and Calamity the first day to warm up and settle in. Then run the normal section of the creek. Then if not broke go back and run the harder section, break everything, pack up late after recovery, and go home. :laughing:

On the harder side there is:
Kong, Hal Johns (has something like normal 21 sections), Calamity (has hard spots towards the end) are the main ones.

Typically people will run like Kong and Calamity the first day to warm up and settle in. Then run the normal section of the creek. Then if not broke go back and run the harder section, break everything, pack up late after recovery, and go home. :laughing:

i like this plan, can we camp one spot and drive rigs to all these from here, i have heard of a few of them trails.

Top Back Refresh