What's new

Bison

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
We have a local Bison farm in town now. I went on their free tour yesterday to show the kids something they have never seen besides on TV. Any of you eat Bison regularly? I might add it to the weekly diet for some variety. I guess it lower fat than chicken and higher protein than beef..... so dryer than venison.

4BC4A3C1-A121-4AA7-A883-70BF485C96EB.jpeg
DEF17012-1621-4B06-8BF2-746029DA9217.jpeg
659BCF95-6676-43FD-9EC1-FB3F914E815B.jpeg

I had bison short ribs at the grand canyon lodge on the north rim last summer. They were AMAZING!

fat content depends on what they are fed, it should be pretty similar to other 'grass fed' beef and wild game. If they are local i suggest you support them :beer:

I used to live near the largest alpaca herd in the country and he was on the incredibly short list of people who would sell alpaca meat. $6/lb isn't out of line so i'd support him when i could. he was an older guy (80's) and finally closed up and put the 1k+ acre land for sale. apparently tenino has changed a bunch in his 20 years there and they wouldn't grant him permits to try and have festivals and such to promote his business, easier to sell what is likely over a million $ in land to a developer to break up than to keep the farm going and sell it as that.

having an outlet and creating a market is the tough part. it took years and years and huge money to get bison onto safeway shelves.

I'd rather not raise cows as i like alpacas in the general sense, but it seems like i might need to also start my own pop up food trailer just to have an outlet to sell the stuff to people :homer:

We have several buffalo ranches in the area plus one butcher shop that keeps it in stock. It tastes similar to elk to me.

Goes well with Bleu Cheese.

There's a few bison ranches around here, it's right there beside the beef at the grocery store, I'll buy it if it's on special. Butcher carries it as well along with elk and a few other things.

I'm not too picky, I eat seafood primarily.

one of our ranch neighbors has at least 1.. cuz I've seen it by the fence along the ranch road.. kinda wonder how many they have..

yeah, I ate a Bison Burger, long ago at Cabelas.. they have a restaurant on the 2nd floor.. hmmm I wonder if they have Cabelas through out the USA.. its like a camping, hunting, fishing and general outdoor stuff store.. kind of pricey, but I still shop there from time to time..

one of our ranch neighbors has at least 1.. cuz I've seen it by the fence along the ranch road.. kinda wonder how many they have..

yeah, I ate a Bison Burger, long ago at Cabelas.. they have a restaurant on the 2nd floor.. hmmm I wonder if they have Cabelas through out the USA.. its like a camping, hunting, fishing and general outdoor stuff store.. kind of pricey, but I still shop there from time to time..

yes, cabelas is a national chain

Poke;n36225 Any of you eat Bison regularly?[/QUOTE said:
Not as often as I wish, as there are no local herds and its really expensive most places I have lived.

fat content depends on what they are fed, it should be pretty similar to other 'grass fed' beef and wild game. If they are local i suggest you support them :beer:

I used to live near the largest alpaca herd in the country and he was on the incredibly short list of people who would sell alpaca meat. $6/lb isn't out of line so i'd support him when i could. he was an older guy (80's) and finally closed up and put the 1k+ acre land for sale. apparently tenino has changed a bunch in his 20 years there and they wouldn't grant him permits to try and have festivals and such to promote his business, easier to sell what is likely over a million $ in land to a developer to break up than to keep the farm going and sell it as that.

having an outlet and creating a market is the tough part. it took years and years and huge money to get bison onto safeway shelves.

I'd rather not raise cows as i like alpacas in the general sense, but it seems like i might need to also start my own pop up food trailer just to have an outlet to sell the stuff to people :homer:

Funny story about Tenino, and how every older Army Vet knows its location.

The Tenino map was used to teach Map Reading and Land Navigation for decades, because it is one of the few single map pages on the planet that contains every geographic feature on it.

Funny story about Tenino, and how every older Army Vet knows its location.

The Tenino map was used to teach Map Reading and Land Navigation for decades, because it is one of the few single map pages on the planet that contains every geographic feature on it.

it's still in use, but nobody outside of people at Ft Lewis has ever pronounced it correctly :rasta:

You can get bison at most grocery chains these days. Usually in ground form.

We have a local Bison farm in town now. I went on their free tour yesterday to show the kids something they have never seen besides on TV. Any of you eat Bison regularly? I might add it to the weekly diet for some variety. I guess it lower fat than chicken and higher protein than beef..... so dryer than venison.

We have a place about 10 miles east of us that raises bison. A few of the local restaurants serve bison burgers and bison meatloaf. Damn tasty.

Edit: This is our local bison ranch. http://starbranch.tripod.com/

Last edited:
Anyone had caribou? Back home in Ohio there is a farm about 12 miles south of us that has a herd of them. The old guy that owns the farm has been raising them for close to 30 years. His son is now running the place.

They say, bison has a third of the fat and a forth of the cholesterol, of regular beef.

I use to run 100 head of buffalo, but it got to be too much work.
Doesn't matter how good your fencing, if they want to leave, they will end up at the neighbors. I was tired of getting calls from the local sheriff.
Also, you can't pasture and work them like cattle. Inevitably, you get them corralled up and one or two will go wild and break their own neck trying to escape.
And forget trying to herd them on horse. If they turn on you, you need a dirtbike to get clear. Those damn things are big, but they can run like deer.

The current market might justify running buffalo. But i found it easier to run an additional 100 head of cattle.

Little hamburger joint I used to live near had Bison on the menu, and our local grocery store carries it but way more than I want to pay for hamburger

Anyone had caribou? Back home in Ohio there is a farm about 12 miles south of us that has a herd of them. The old guy that owns the farm has been raising them for close to 30 years. His son is now running the place.

Caribou is good. Better than elk for sure. Not hard to be better than elk though, I don't know why people say elk is so good. Is it an actual caribou herd or domestic reindeer? Bison is good too, better than beef. Should find out in a week or two if I'm drawn for a bison tag this year. North Eastern BC has a good sized herd up around Pink Mountain.

Caribou is good. Better than elk for sure. Not hard to be better than elk though, I don't know why people say elk is so good. Is it an actual caribou herd or domestic reindeer? Bison is good too, better than beef. Should find out in a week or two if I'm drawn for a bison tag this year. North Eastern BC has a good sized herd up around Pink Mountain.

They are domesticated for sure. Not many wild herds in northeast Ohio.

Post up some pics if you get to do the bison hunt.

They are domesticated for sure. Not many wild herds in northeast Ohio.

fair point:laughing:
Reason I asked is reindeer and caribou are rhe same taxonomically speaking, but different in physical appearance and in that caribou haven't been tamed. The tamed herds in North America are from European/Asian stocks, which were brought in in hopes of making the wild herds more docile, in, I believe, the 1800s.
I feel confident that they would be different flavour wise as well. Sort of like elk vs farmed red deer.

Top Back Refresh