What's new

Bilstein steering damper for RUF high steer

Jgrov2

Member Number
Hello ladies and gents
I’m finishing up my high steer and rears up front swap on 96 hilux/pickup. I’m adding a steering damper and want to get something that matches the bilstein m7100 shocks I’m running. I realise TG and marlin both have a damper kit but I live in Australia so it’s all the same price to get it in here. I’ve measured lock to lock 6.5” of travel between the chassis and draglink. I’m making brackets to mount one end to the chassis and other to clamp on to the drag link similar to the kits available.

what I’m not sure about is are the bilstein dampers or any steering dampers valves specifically for models. I know it says it is but I can’t see there being much difference between different vehicles with the main influence being wheel size. I’m planning on running 33x10.5r15. I’ve found one I think might be suitable it seems to be for an F250. What do yous guys reckon?

Bilstein 5100 Series Steering Damper - 24-158930

to be perfectly honest, i never ran one and didn't have any issues without it. eventually i did add a hydro assist cylinder which doubles as a damper.

considering how slow the shaft speed is for steering versus what a shock sees on an axle, as long as you have enough travel, i don't think you can go wrong. if you are getting a wicked vibration through the steering, that is an issue that more damping shouldn't be used to fix.

Yer I get what your saying and a lot of people have told me if it’s done right you don’t need one so I’m just covering my bases at this stage. I’m running a 3uz V8 so she does see some high speed and highway driving so I figured it can’t hurt to have one. Cheers

Spend that cash on fuel, to hit those highway speeds and see IF you feel it necessary first...
Running down some washboarded secondary dirt first (at speed) will help decide
Cheers Mate

I’ve never ran one either, but I wonder what nitrogen charged shock would do when the steering is unloaded. Perhaps a non charged shock would be better?

Shit I didn’t even think about that. If they are a nitrogen charged damper like the shocks, your saying they will kind of act like a return to centre yer? You guys are talking me out of it lol

Useless items that are nothing but a band aid for shitty geometry or worn out parts. Get the fuck out of here your bullshit. :flipoff2:

what I’m not sure about is are the bilstein dampers or any steering dampers valves specifically for models. I know it says it is but I can’t see there being much difference between different vehicles with the main influence being wheel size. I’m planning on running 33x10.5r15. I’ve found one I think might be suitable it seems to be for an F250. What do yous guys reckon?

that’s the damper I went with also when I did my SAS on the 88. I can’t claim that I notice anything without it becuase I installed it when I did the SAS, the research I did at the time suggested the Billy for the F250. Since it’s made to be a stabilizer it maintains a neutral damping effect and doesn’t favor a side like you might get from a standard shock absorber. I ended up mounting my stabilizer behind the drag link to the axle. It’s very tight however and I’ll probably need to do something different when I go hydro assist.

Cheers

photo43037.jpg

photo43038.jpg

that’s the damper I went with also when I did my SAS on the 88. I can’t claim that I notice anything without it becuase I installed it when I did the SAS, the research I did at the time suggested the Billy for the F250. Since it’s made to be a stabilizer it maintains a neutral damping effect and doesn’t favor a side like you might get from a standard shock absorber. I ended up mounting my stabilizer behind the drag link to the axle. It’s very tight however and I’ll probably need to do something different when I go hydro assist.

Cheers

when you go hydro assist you won't need the dampener

Reactions: Rbx

Cheers

Im glad I’m not the only one with the same idea.

If your looking to save a few bucks pro comp has one for around $40.00 just google up pro comp 224000 probably the same one that trail gear sells in there kit

I’ve ran them, and not ran them. I can’t tell the difference; other than when you hit a rock on the trail it makes it slightly harder to rip the steering wheel out of your hand.

I currently don’t run one on my ‘86 SAS, and Its fine as fast as it will go (about 85mph)

No stabilizer here, shackles in the front and no real issues. I wouldn't waste the money on one. Back in my Jeep days we just ripped them off as well as they were useless.

Top Back Refresh