What's new

Bigger 14 Bolt Housings With 4" Tubes?

nvrenuf

Procrastinator
Member Number
Loc
Mobile, Alabama
I have seen pics of an OE 14 bolt with 4" dia axle tubes but I don't know the application, is anyone familiar with these? I'd like to try and source one of these housings for a build but I'm not sure what vehicle application to look for. As you can imagine a general search for a 14 bolt is mind numbing and just returns endless lists of axles with 3.xx" tubes. I think it may have been used in a later GMT600(?) van but I haven't found any solid info.

I realize I don't necessarily need this type of housing, it's just cool. :homer:

Do you mean an 11.5" AAM (14 bolt from a late model GM)?

There's a version of the 14bFF with the 10-lug and disc - probably 4" tube... Similar to older motorhome D70HD.

I would look for it in an A class motorhome '92-02ish.

Do you mean an 11.5" AAM (14 bolt from a late model GM)?

There's a version of the 14bFF with the 10-lug and disc - probably 4" tube... Similar to older motorhome D70HD.

I would look for it in an A class motorhome '92-02ish.

The one I saw for sale was definitely a 10.5”, 8 lug axle. I should have bought it but it was on the opposite coast so I was afraid of shipping. I (incorrectly) thought if I looked hard I could find one.

The one I saw for sale was definitely a 10.5”, 8 lug axle. I should have bought it but it was on the opposite coast so I was afraid of shipping. I (incorrectly) thought if I looked hard I could find one.

I suspect the 8lug one (drums?) is going to show up in a c&c 3500 or maybe a P-van aka workhorse chassis after a certain year (92ish?)

Another odd-duck to check is the brief '94-96 30HD van (tilt nose).

I had a 2015 gas 2500 work truck for a while that had a 14 bolt with 8x180mm bolt pattern. the tubes looked big but I never took the time to measure it.
Edit: I should clarify that it was a ribbed housing with a drop out pinion support and I assume a 10,5" ring gear since there is always some confusion with "14 bolt" after AAM took over production.

Last edited:
I suspect the 8lug one (drums?) is going to show up in a c&c 3500 or maybe a P-van aka workhorse chassis after a certain year (92ish?)

Another odd-duck to check is the brief '94-96 30HD van (tilt nose).

This one had disc brakes.

Maybe a later G4500/5500 van?

I think wvracer821 is on the right track with gas. 4" tube will be for gvwr. Discs makes it 2000ish-newer.

Was there a 4500-5500 van? And would it be (small) 8lug?

I remember now: Cut away vans, some box trucks and late model cab and chassis had some. Good luck!

Older, like 2005ish, will be 8 on 6.5.

Not this year, but it's the duals, and service body. Some are Duramax.

1668893787916.png

Last edited:
Starting in 2011, Chevy/GMC 2500s with a 6.0L gas motor got a wider 14 bolt with 4” tubes. I believe this is the same casting that WOD/Crane/Fusion are using. It’s the same 10.5” ring gear as old 14 bolts, the diesels got the 11.5” boat anchor. The downside, IMO, is the 8 on 180mm bolt pattern. I have one in my shop I am going to try to re-drill to 8 on 170mm.

If MD isn't too far for you I can keep an eye out for one. I had ran across one before and I'm going to be looking for a D70 out of an express here in spring. Only sucky thing is some JY's like to go from $250-300 for an axle to $500-600 as soon as they hear 2500 or even dually lol.

Now we’re zeroing in on it! This is all great info.

I have seen the unfinished housing’s offered by ECGS, etc but they’re close to $1k so I’d rather spend that on an assembly with rest of the parts.

If anyone finds or has one of these bigger, wider units I’d be seriously interested in it.

looking at car-part.com most yards around me want $2,000 for a drop out unit. that 1k for a housing might not be that bad

A friend bought one of the 4" tube 14 bolts. He said that besides having the different bolt pattern, the tubing wall is also very thin compared to the older 14 bolts. Not sure of the application.

Now we’re zeroing in on it! This is all great info.

I have seen the unfinished housing’s offered by ECGS, etc but they’re close to $1k so I’d rather spend that on an assembly with rest of the parts.

If anyone finds or has one of these bigger, wider units I’d be seriously interested in it.

I have a center section, with a set of 05+ knuckles and the C's bored to fit a 4" tube.
Location in Cullman AL.

A friend bought one of the 4" tube 14 bolts. He said that besides having the different bolt pattern, the tubing wall is also very thin compared to the older 14 bolts. Not sure of the application.

Any idea of the overall wms?

Top Back Refresh