What's new

Big Toyo MTs on lightish rigs

JK13

Member Number
Loc
Boise
Hey Guys,

Mentally building out my rig (3rd gen 4Runner) in the future on this fine Saturday night and was wondering…

Toyo makes a 40x13.5r17, its got a C rating so not a crazy brodozer tire. I remember their sidewalls being crazy tough and them wearing like iron. Ive ran their 35x13.5r15 on my old first gen 4runner and was happy enough with them. I know they’re not the best for rock crawling, but for more of a multi-use rig do these have merit? I haven’t been able to find much on them outside the brodozer crowd especially on yotas.

Anybody run the bigger ones on their toyotas?

I figure with their 40 (or even 37) on beadlocks with low single digit psi would flex well enough and they would last forever on something like a SAS’d runner

I’ll move this to newb4x4 if needed :flipoff2:

I had 37 x14.5s on my 1st gen tacoma and they were by far the worst tire I have ever ran. The only conditions they ever worked was when it was bucketing down rain, any other time they didn't grip for shit even at 2psi. They made the SSRs I had before that look like red label Krawlers.

They were nice on the interstate. The pro comp mt2s I am running now are pretty awesome and better in evrey category than those POS Toyos.

What kind of terrain did you wheel them?

What kind of terrain did you wheel them?
SE so anything from dirt/mud to dry dusty rocks and wet muddy rocks. The craziest one was when I was on a boat ramp type rock obstacle, and it was dry and dusty, and I was just sliding backward with all 4 tires spinning. Mall Crawlers with ATs were walking it. Next day it was raining and I crawled it.

The hell with those tires, there's so many other, better options, the only good part about them was the super thick sidewalls.

SE so anything from dirt/mud to dry dusty rocks and wet muddy rocks. The craziest one was when I was on a boat ramp type rock obstacle, and it was dry and dusty, and I was just sliding backward with all 4 tires spinning. Mall Crawlers with ATs were walking it. Next day it was raining and I crawled it.

The hell with those tires, there's so many other, better options, the only good part about them was the super thick sidewalls.
Damn lol, that is pretty shitty. Honestly, an aggressive AT is really all I need but they top out at 37” it seems.
Cooper STT Pro's and don't look back. Best all around wheeling/DD tires I have ever used.

Toyo's suck
I definitely haven’t heard anything bad about those. Made in USA too :smokin: :usa:

X whatever on fuck them tires. Brother bought some KMCs with c range toyo 40s already on them. The exact tire you listed are the only tire I've ever seen rolling smoke and still not cleaning out. Tow rig compound, no flex even single digits on a >4k lbs buggy.
IMG_20230110_170715_275.jpg

I have older 40s on my 1st gen 4runner. They have worked ok for me. I think the ones I have are from before they became a bro-dozer special and are maybe a bit softer? They were "broke in" when I bought the rig and I won't be buying another set when I get it back on the road.

I did run the 37 stt pro on a previous 4runner and was happy with them.

I have older 40s on my 1st gen 4runner. They have worked ok for me. I think the ones I have are from before they became a bro-dozer special and are maybe a bit softer? They were "broke in" when I bought the rig and I won't be buying another set when I get it back on the road.

I did run the 37 stt pro on a previous 4runner and was happy with them.
I wonder if they did change the compound? The 35s I had 10 years ago worked decent enough in texas and norcal, but admittedly I didn’t wheel super gnarly rock trails and had spartans f&r + dual cases…I dig overbuilt haha

Regardless it doesn’t sound like they’re worth it, thanks for the info yall 🤙🏻

Toyo MTs belong on tow rigs and that’s about it IMO
Fair enough 🤙🏻 While you’re popped in here…

Any rock crawling to the NE of Boise or is it all out in the Owyhees?

Fair enough 🤙🏻 While you’re popped in here…

Any rock crawling to the NE of Boise or is it all out in the Owyhees?
More snow wheeling and fire road stuff from what I know

More snow wheeling and fire road stuff from what I know
That’s about what I’ve gathered as well, was hoping for some decent wheeling in the trees. Thanks! :beer:

+1 for the STT Pro’s. My set of 37’s were awesome. They balanced out easily and had good street manners for a tire that aggressive. I hunted and fished out of my 4Runner a lot last year. The nasty field roads with combine and sprayer ruts were never an issue. I never made a trip to see how they did in the rocks before selling them. A guy I follow on social media runs them in 40 on his Ls/wonton swapped Cherokee. He rides a lot of the parks in east TN. They seem do well for him.

That’s about what I’ve gathered as well, was hoping for some decent wheeling in the trees. Thanks! :beer:
Boulder basin is east but way east of Boise lol

Someone needs to work with FS and make a good rock trail up in the trees

+1 for the STT Pro’s. My set of 37’s were awesome. They balanced out easily and had good street manners for a tire that aggressive. I hunted and fished out of my 4Runner a lot last year. The nasty field roads with combine and sprayer ruts were never an issue. I never made a trip to see how they did in the rocks before selling them. A guy I follow on social media runs them in 40 on his Ls/wonton swapped Cherokee. He rides a lot of the parks in east TN. They seem do well for him.
How did they last on the street? I know the correct answer is dont dd your expo/crawler rig lol but still curious

Boulder basin is east but way east of Boise lol

Someone needs to work with FS and make a good rock trail up in the trees
Noted!
I’d volunteer for that work party in a heartbeat! Hmm…FS has to have a building in the capital, I should swing by after work one of these days and do some investigating.

The first set of STT Pro 37's I bought went almost 50k miles. The 40's I replaced them with went a little under 45K and now I'm back to the 37s again. They have been on it over a year and still look like new.

Well the guys there didn’t know how to get a new trail recognized, but I did get a shitload of MVUMs
IMG_6830.jpeg

The BLM maps are better in my opinion, they actually break down the type of road vs just “fs road”. For the Owyhees, they actually have a rock crawling trail designation 🤘

Well the guys there didn’t know how to get a new trail recognized, but I did get a shitload of MVUMs
IMG_6830.jpeg

The BLM maps are better in my opinion, they actually break down the type of road vs just “fs road”. For the Owyhees, they actually have a rock crawling trail designation 🤘
I’ll have to get some. We need to find out who is the contact for new stuff

add How did they last on the street? I know the correct answer is dont dd your expo/crawler rig lol but still curious

Noted!
I’d volunteer for that work party in a heartbeat! Hmm…FS has to have a building in the capital, I should swing by after work one of these days and do some investigating.
I put about 5-6k miles on them and there was no noticeable wear. If I would have kept them I think they would have lasted the same as Slowpokes. I pretty much DD’ed the 4Runner for close to a year. I had my duramax apart and got carried away with the upgrades, hunting season, and my daughter always picked it to take anywhere we went. I’ll probably buy a set of 40’s for my first gen eventually.

I snapped these when I was swapping the STT’s for the 285 lawn and gardens to go on my wife’s 5th gen 4Runner.
BBC8D17F-74E0-4015-A883-42BE97DEF5D5.jpeg
Mounted in the new owners wheels when I traded them off.
9209CB7E-A74E-48BA-A159-E172709421C6.jpeg

Top Back Refresh