What's new

Big Equipment Company releasing new Big Bud Tractors!

Big boy farming is big boy farming. We had a customer with a 42' mower, pulled it with a 450 hp track tractor.

IMO I can't see this selling, just my gut feeling.

Big boy farming is big boy farming. We had a customer with a 42' mower, pulled it with a 450 hp track tractor.

Only thing I could maybe see it being used for is pulling scrapers for large earth moving jobs. Even then they might not go fast enough to make it make sense.

WAtch the video dummy....

So the articulated Versatile tractor is sort of already this tractor. Low frills, CAT powertrain.
We had a customer that bought two of them (smaller) and I noticed they had all our shit from the older Challenger articulated tractor.

Still think big green/red customers won't go for it, a Big Bud is a niche tractor anyway.

Pulling a 80’ drag at 8mph it is certainly doable.

In a minute it travels 704’ x80’ wide is 56320 square feet plowed. A acre is 43246 square feet. So he is actually doing 1.2 acres a minute.

Need to have big fields for this to work out but it can do it.
That’s got to be in ideal conditions.

That’s a big tractor. Most if not all of the articulating tractors run tracks here. Most are JD 9 series or Case Steiger series. You will see an occasional Fendt or Cat mixed in.

Can we do glider tractors or some shit? Rebuild repower? Somebody brings in a ford 9n and a year later it looks like that big sexy 30 liter beast :usa:

Fuckem.

It's all by design to make food scarce and crush the middle class.
Environmentalists are like watermelons, green on the outside, red inside
Thar's basically what Buds are. They are built like semis. Clark(cat) axles, Semi transmission, and in the case of the new ones, CAT engines. Basically what this company will be building is big heavy frames for other manufacturer's parts.

Last edited:
Only thing I could maybe see it being used for is pulling scrapers for large earth moving jobs. Even then they might not go fast enough to make it make sense.
With 988 axles its going to be wide as fuck, transporting will be a huge problem.

I am at work now with YT blocked but I saw a video from Australia that they had a similar sized tractor pulling a wheat drill that was over 100' wide. those fields down there were 1000s of acres. So big equipment like these would make sense there.

With 988 axles its going to be wide as fuck, transporting will be a huge problem.

Yeah, I could see that. Most farmers drive field to field here, so something that wide likely wouldn’t be practical.

Dualed up its wiiiddeee

1675433236944.png

That’s got to be in ideal conditions.

That’s a big tractor. Most if not all of the articulating tractors run tracks here. Most are JD 9 series or Case Steiger series. You will see an occasional Fendt or Cat mixed in.
That's because your soil is softer and the lower ground pressure is needed. Nobody runs tracks on anything anywhere they aren't strictly needed because of the increased cost.

The northern plains states are not Texas. You people are as bad as commiefornians when it comes to projecting your environmental conditions on everywhere else.

That's because your soil is softer and the lower ground pressure is needed. Nobody runs tracks on anything anywhere they aren't strictly needed because of the increased cost.

The northern plains states are not Texas. You people are as bad as commiefornians when it comes to projecting your environmental conditions on everywhere else.
soil compaction is a concern everywhere.. :shaking:

Did we all skip over the ground pressure posts? :flipoff2:
~6.5 PSI on the largest existing (130k lbs) 16V 747. All other Big Bud tractors are smaller.

The new one's running lo-pro super singles instead of duals and someone quoted 200k lbs :eek: - dunno what the tread contact surface area is on those so :confused: on the ground pressure.

Wow, you’re right. All of the soils farmed in TX are softer than plains soils. :homer:

Very few tracked tractors around here. Mud gets in the tracks and the drive wheels slip, from what I've been told.

Never got to mess with a tracked tractor...always wanted to, though. They look fun as hell to blast around a field in.

Farm I work for no tills over 10k acres. Compaction is a biggy. Workhorses for carting/discing/intricate bean planting are 8630/40's. Nice and light and they just work.
9410's to run the big planters.
9220 for the 24 row corn planter.

Does the big bud even have a pto? Looks and is spec'd like a pure ground ripper. Figured the plains would be mostly no-till having learned from the dust bowl...

While I know MO isn't the plains per se, most of the row crop ground here is tilled. Not much moldboard plowing going on except in the garden. Most of the ground is field cultivated then planted/drilled. Occasionally they will run the big deep rippers to break up the hard pan 18"+ down.

They are not going to get around emissions regulations and will have to use an already established and certified engine package but if they keep all the other computerized and overcomplicated systems these other new tractors have out of the equation and make everything manual like the old days so farmers can fix small problems themselves, these tractors will literally sell themselves.
This would be awesome. Sell everything but the engine, then you drop in whatever you want that meets the HP requirements.

I can see that big bastard used around here for wheat planting & tilling as well as for fumigating between crops. The fumigation guys run quadratrac case or John Deere pulling 60' fold up tillers in triplicate.

This would be awesome. Sell everything but the engine, then you drop in whatever you want that meets the HP requirements.
If a CAT 3400 based engine fits then I imagine all the OTR 6 cylinder engines will fit.

With where CAT truck engines are these days, everybody has their own CAT ET so working on the electric engine isn't really a problem.
I can't really see the need to run a mechanical injected Tier 1 engine these days.
A Tier 2-3 engine would make more power economically than the lower Tiers simply due to precision of fuel timing and control.

Very few tracked tractors around here. Mud gets in the tracks and the drive wheels slip, from what I've been told.

Never got to mess with a tracked tractor...always wanted to, though. They look fun as hell to blast around a field in.

Farm I work for no tills over 10k acres. Compaction is a biggy. Workhorses for carting/discing/intricate bean planting are 8630/40's. Nice and light and they just work.

Does the big bud even have a pto? Looks and is spec'd like a pure ground ripper. Figured the plains would be mostly no-till having learned from the dust bowl...

It’s a mix here. Guys using the large articulated tractors are almost all on tracks. Sprayers and harvest equipment are almost all on wheels. Unless it’s very wet, then some guys will swap combined to tracks.

While I know MO isn't the plains per se, most of the row crop ground here is tilled. Not much moldboard plowing going on except in the garden. Most of the ground is field cultivated then planted/drilled. Occasionally they will run the big deep rippers to break up the hard pan 18"+ down.
No till was tried here for years with very few holdouts anymore. We just don’t have enough moisture for it to work well. Our ground also tends to turn into concrete if not tilled to some degree. Strip tilling has become popular on Sandy soils that are prone to blowing.

No PTO, just hydraulics at least on the Williams Farms 747:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02jBUZL4hTQ
1675448038182.png

And:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_QRzed7WzQ
1675448164876.png

Aaron Z

They had Big Bud on display here last year, I was too lame to go and see it :homer:

Top Back Refresh