What's new

Big Equipment Company releasing new Big Bud Tractors!

SLOWPOKE693

🖕TROUBLES🖕
race
Member Number
Loc
Somewhere in Texas
It sounds like the owner of this company has had enough of the big tractor companies screwing farmers with impossible to work on equipment and plans on releasing farmer friendly models to consumers. :smokin:

How long before he gets bought out by a red or green company or suicides himself and this plan never comes to fruition?

:usa:

I'm stoked on this. Hopefully they succeed.

Used to work on cracking diagnostic software and doing deletes before I got tired of it and went all in on machining/welding

Fuck these corporations and the government forcing honest hardworking people to adopt these new impossible to keep running machines. It's not sustainable.

They are not going to get around emissions regulations and will have to use an already established and certified engine package but if they keep all the other computerized and overcomplicated systems these other new tractors have out of the equation and make everything manual like the old days so farmers can fix small problems themselves, these tractors will literally sell themselves.

Can we do glider tractors or some shit? Rebuild repower? Somebody brings in a ford 9n and a year later it looks like that big sexy 30 liter beast :usa:

Fuckem.

It's all by design to make food scarce and crush the middle class.
Environmentalists are like watermelons, green on the outside, red inside

I just found this bit of info in a related article.

“The new Big Bud is going to have a Cat (Caterpillar) engine, Cat transmission, Cat axle, and we are going to use the heaviest axles used in the farm industry ever, including heavier than the 747. They are axles out of a 688K loader. Just the base unit will weigh between 170,000 and 200,000 pounds, so we’re using really heavy components,” Harmon explained.

“The new Big Bud is going to have a Cat (Caterpillar) engine, Cat transmission, Cat axle, and we are going to use the heaviest axles used in the farm industry ever, including heavier than the 747. They are axles out of a 688K loader. Just the base unit will weigh between 170,000 and 200,000 pounds, so we’re using really heavy components,” Harmon explained.
Cool. Will really add to the value of it knowing you'll be able to source parts almost indefinitely.

It's going to be $$$$$$

I sent this to my buddy that farms 12,000 acres and he's stoked. He has all newer green equipment and it's been fucking him hard.

Can we do glider tractors or some shit? Rebuild repower? Somebody brings in a ford 9n and a year later it looks like that big sexy 30 liter beast :usa:

There is an equipment/tooling company in Italy called Cinclioni(sp) Heavy Industries that we work with that buys all the older maintained drill rigs we take in in trade. They ship them back to Italy, completely disassemble them and rebuild them back to 100% factory new right down to the stickers. They don't mess with anything with emissions and only buy larger rigs that are used for big money drill work. They can't find and rebuild them fast enough to keep up with the demand they have for them these days and resell them all over the world.

I could see buying and rebuilding non emissions construction equipment a big business in the future if all this wiz bang non user friendly computerized bs keeps up.

There is an equipment/tooling company in Italy called Cinclioni(sp) Heavy Industries that we work with that buys all the older maintained drill rigs we take in in trade. They ship them back to Italy, completely disassemble them and rebuild them back to 100% factory new right down to the stickers. They don't mess with anything with emissions and only buy larger rigs that are used for big money drill work. They can't find and rebuild them fast enough to keep up with the demand they have for them these days and resell them all over the world.

I could see buying and rebuilding non emissions construction equipment a big business in the future if all this wiz bang non user friendly computerized bs keeps up.
It already is. It's getting harder to source parts and shit is just getting too worn out.

The whole covid thing permanently fucked parts availability for a lot of the older stuff.

The new equipment they're putting out can't be sustainable. I don't want to live in a world of disposeable machinery as a service :barf:

It already is. It's getting harder to source parts and shit is just getting too worn out.

The whole covid thing permanently fucked parts availability for a lot of the older stuff.

The new equipment they're putting out can't be sustainable. I don't want to live in a world of disposeable machinery as a service :barf:
It’s the rental life. Never own anything. Big companies are owners by the same groups that own the farms so they don’t care

That company in Italy will make most parts they can't get their hands on and if it's out of their realm of production they will adapt something newer and more readily available to take its place. The owners of that company seem to really have this deal of theirs down to a science.

What a glorious mindfuck that will be to the industry if this gets off the ground.

'Yeah, maybe it's more expensive up front, but you can work on it yourself.'

Meanwhile the other manufacturers are trying to squeeze every penny out of systems nobody wants, and apparently would pay more for if they weren't there.

Good luck, I wanna see this kick ass :beer:

I know at least as of 3 years ago, cat dealers were buying 793b haul trucks off of whatever dead line they could find them. Brand new front to back, new frame if they needed it, zero hour truck with a bunch of 793c parts, they called them a "trip truck" cause they made a trip back to the dealer. Same 20yo numbers and regulations, great trucks

Damn...

That aint no cartin' tractor. Most of the breadbasket tilled ground or they no till out there? Be a pretty small market wanting a tractor that heavy, with compaction being the obsession, me thinks.

Be a pretty small market wanting a tractor that heavy, with compaction being the obsession, me thinks.
This article says the 747 (weighing 100k lbs dry) has <5 PSI of ground pressure dry and ~6.5 PSI ready to rock.

As for ground pressure, that's been measured at less than 5 psi's, dry. Fully ballasted and fueled, it would exert only 6 or 6 1/2 psi's, Harmon says.

EDIT: this page says the 747 is 130k lbs fueled & ballasted, so ~2500 square inches of contact patch per tire?

Last edited:

Big Bud Tractor​

16-V 747 Big Bud "The World's Largest Farm Tractor"​

In 1977 the Big Bud 747 tractor was built in Havre, Montana. The tractor was built by Ron Harmon and the crew of the Northern Manufacturing Company. The tractor was built to produce 760 horsepower using a 16-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine. The tractor measures 27 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 14 feet tall. The tires were specially made by United Tire Company of Canada and are 8 feet in diameter. When the 1,000 gallon fuel tank is full the tractor tips the scales at over 100,000 pounds.

big-bud-photos01.jpg
It was originally designed for the Rossi Brothers, cotton farmers in Bakersfield, California. The Rossi Brothers used the tractor for deep ripping. They owned and operated the 16-V747 for 11 years.

After leaving the cotton farm of the Rossi Brothers the Big Bud found its way to Indlantic, Florida. The second owners, Willowbrook Farms, also used the tractor for deep ripping purposes. Willowbrook Farms retired the Big Bud and left it to rest.

In 1997 the Big Bud found its way back home to Montana, only 60 miles from where it was built. The Williams Brothers of Big Sandy, Montana purchased the tractor and brought it to their farm in Chouteau County. The Williams Brothers use the tractor for cultivation purposes, pulling an 80 foot cultivator. The tractor can work more than one acre per minute, at speeds up to 8 mph. Except its new paint job, chrome stacks, and a whopping 900 plus horsepower - the Big Bud looks like it did when it rolled out of the Northern Manufacturing Company building back in 1977.

Banner4.jpg

Pulling a 80’ drag at 8mph it is certainly doable.

Im trying to math this in my head at 5:30am.

1 acre is 44k? Sq ft. So covering 80ft at a time at 8mph...I cant see how they're doing it in 1 min

Edit: Wait I get it. Lets say its 440ft by 100ft wide. It takes less than 2 swipes to cover the width and only go 440ft. Definitely doable.

Was just doing the math on it, your right. 80' drag is freaking huge!

That company in Italy will make most parts they can't get their hands on and if it's out of their realm of production they will adapt something newer and more readily available to take its place. The owners of that company seem to really have this deal of theirs down to a science.
This. If the money is in it ain't nothing that can't be repaired.

Is that a typo?
100ft wide implement @ 5mph is about an acre a minute.

Reactions: DMG
Top Back Refresh